Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCAM - Somebody Falls - You get robbed

Options
  • 26-04-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up for you all;

There is a scam happening in Galway at the moment. The person who is doing the scam pretends to be either handicapped, old or disabled and they fall to the ground.
    First reaction to some witnesses is to help them back onto their feet and while your helping them up they nick your wallet.

There has been a few cases in the last week.

Lets not get into the debate that it could be a genuine case - its your call.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Not only happening in Galway. In Dublin a good few weeks ago I noticed a lad on all fours with one hand out asking for help up. Didn't seem drunk or anything. Everyone left him there except a couple in around their 50's. Next thing he's making a bee-line for the other side of the road with her purse. The Garda nabbed him on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It is always hard to know whether or not to help strangers.

On the one hand, you hear stories of people getting scammed and stuff like that.

On the other hand, there was a story on the news yesterday about a homeless man in New York who passers-by left to die in the street after he had been stabbed when he went to help a woman who was being mugged. Really shocking and sad!

I suppose you can only trust your gut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

If you see it and are going to help them just make sure your belongings are secure and keep an eye on their hands and have a glance for people looking a bit titchy watching the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Confidence scammers are the worst.
    Not only do they steal from you using your kindness but they also rob your belief in other people.
    If you've been robbed using a trick like this you're less likely to help someone else in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

those pesky (insert favourite thread derailing minority) at it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

KevR wrote: »

On the one hand, you hear stories of people getting scammed and stuff like that.

On the other hand, there was a story on the news yesterday about a homeless man in New York who passers-by left to die in the street after he had been stabbed when he went to help a woman who was being mugged. Really shocking and sad!

That'a a terrible sad story KevR.
    I recall reading a letter in the paper last year from a woman who fell near Corbett Court. Said she was 8 months gone so it was obvious she was pregnat, had trouble getting back on her feet and was also visibly distessed because of the shock..she said not one person stopped to assist her or ask if she was okay. I would hate to think if that was me or one of my family members.

Best of careful so and keep belongings secure..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I recall reading a letter in the paper last year from a woman who fell near Corbett Court. Said she was 8 months gone so it was obvious she was pregnat, had trouble getting back on her feet and was also visibly distessed because of the shock..she said not one person stopped to assist her or ask if she was okay. I would hate to think if that was me or one of my family members.

Best of careful so and keep belongings secure..

I remember reading about that as well. I remember thinking at the time how terrible it was, that it was awful that people are so not bothered about helping others these days. But then at the same time, when there's so many non-genuine people playing on general public's good will it's hardly surprising that it erodes the general willingness to help of a lot of people.

I'd like to think that I'd be able to tell a genuine "falling over" from one that isn't. But I really don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Huh. That'd explain the bloke flopping around on the ground the last day...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I remember reading that too and feeling horrible for that woman.

It is hard to know whether someone is up to something or in legitimate distress but I think I'd rather take a chance and help someone (while keeping my wits about me) than become so cynical that i wouldn't help someone who really needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

I skidded and hit a barracade with my car the other day and about 50 cars, just indicated right and overtook me, even thought I was straddled accross half the road and pointing sideways.!!! They were rushing to work. I was pretty stunned, but after a few minutes, I phoned a pick-up truck and was towed away. Through all of this, I was still being overtaken at speed and not one stopped to see if I had had a heart attack, was injured....Granted I didn't get out of my car, but had my hazards on for the duration. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

KevR wrote: »

Story and video here...

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/multiple-pedestrians-ignore-dying-new-york-hero-hugo-alfredo-tale-yax/19452892?icid=main

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

RubyBlu wrote: »
    I skidded and hit a barracade with my car the other day and about 50 cars, just indicated right and overtook me, even thought I was straddled accross half the road and pointing sideways.!!! They were rushing to work. I was pretty stunned, but after a few minutes, I phoned a pick-up truck and was towed away. Through all of this, I was still being overtaken at speed and not one stopped to see if I had had a heart attack, was injured....Granted I didn't get out of my car, but had my hazards on for the duration. :confused:

No one stopped? That does shock me. You could have been bleeding to death for all they knew.

I scared the crap out of a blind man on eyre square one night when I was behind him in the que at the bank machine. His card didn't seem to be working and I asked if he needed help and he thought I was trying to rob him. Poor man. It depressed me because he probably had a reason for his cynicism and lack of trust.

Advertisement