Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMR

Options
  • 26-04-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi...

My child was born in August 2008....

Is it too late to give him the MMR now??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ring your dr and ask about a making an appointment and they discuss it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Not at all. Kids receive the MMR again when they start school. This is not a booster, it's the same shot they receive at 12 months. Most people develop immunity after the first shot, but not everybody, so it is administered again for surety. I wouldn't expect there's any reason your child couldn't receive it now.

As with all things though, consult your doctor, not some fool on the Internet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My child was born in 2006 and she hasn't received hers yet.

My other children received theirs at 4 years old.

I was relieved I waited, as my older daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers recently. The symptoms were apparent before she got immunised. So I know the MMR didn't cause it.

But I will immunise my younger daughter soon - it's never too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

kelle wrote: »
    My child was born in 2006 and she hasn't received hers yet.

My other children received theirs at 4 years old.

I was relieved I waited, as my older daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers recently. The symptoms were apparent before she got immunised. So I know the MMR didn't cause it.

But I will immunise my younger daughter soon - it's never too late.

I think this is my problem....there is a chance that my other child will be diagnosed with ASD....it is not confirmed yet...she got a speech delay...she got the MMR on time...she is now about 4 years...so we are afraid that it could be related

I talked to the GP and his comment is that this is my choice to give my child the MMR now or wait...

If you want to wait until your child's diagnoises is confirmed either way then do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The MMR vaccine does not cause autism! This has been repeatably proven scientifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

mmalaka wrote: »
    Hi...

My child was born in August 2008....

Is it too late to give him the MMR now??

Thanks

I say you should be fine, i had the rubella jab at 15. I had measles and mumps when i was under 5 ( oh and whooping cough). My husband had measles at 22 not nice.

Better late then never.

My boys being assessed for asd and i know that its not linked to the mmr jab.

Wasnt the guy who caused all this uproar sacked and admited that he was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Do you have a link for this?? I like to show it to my wife....:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield

Andrew wakefield is the guy.

He no longer holds a medial licence in usa or uk.
    It gives a bit of info on wiki but i will try to find a better link.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/04/how_andrew_wakefield_invented_autistic_e.php

this one says he should soon be struck of and that the lancet has retracted its 1998 paper on mmr jab written by andrew wakefield.

Well he didn't admit his findings were wrong. but if you look at his tests he only tested 12 kids sure you need hundreds not 12. What proper doctor takes blood from a bunch of 5 year olds at his kids birthday party paying them a fiver.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/02/andrew_wakefield_destined_for_even_more.php
    this is where is is sacked/forced to resign

His d-day will be on june the 11th this year when the uk decide finaly what should happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mmalaka wrote: »
    Do you have a link for this?? I like to show it to my wife....:)

This is a fairly decent article by a doctor detailing how the whole MMR autism hoax played out: http://www.badscience.net/2008/08/the-medias-mmr-hoax/

It's really really been proven that the MMR does not increase the chance of developing autism.

More articles on MMR here: http://www.badscience.net/category/mmr/

Yes it has showed those studies were frankly crap and scaremongering

But having under gone the assements with my own kid I can understand that when you are going through the very long (sometimes 3 months +) process of having a child assessed to see if the are on the autstic spectrum not wanting to do inocculations for a range of reasons, from how the child will cope with on top of the stress they are currently under to not wanting too interfer with the base line behaviour diaries some parents have to keep for doing the likes of the Connors tests.

hope the above websites help, sure if you really want to know more google it.

A 3 part, diagnostic behavioural analyst tests.
    There is a fair bit about them if you google, I did a heap of research on them when I was asked to fill them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They was even talk of criminal proceeding for fraud, since there was a undisclosed conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I had measles mumps and rubella all before the age of 4.. i have a hearing problem linked to the mumps.. i think one of the reasons people are not great at getting the vaccinations on time is we never see the diseases anymore so we dont' know that the symptoms or after effects of having any of them can be so severe.
    I had chronic earaches as a kid from the age of 18 months to 8 years.. i missed about a year of school altogether and my hearing is gone in my left ear and it will eventually go in the right aswell..
    I was lucky.. i wasn't braindamaged or worse..(although most of my family will disagree :D) dont' delay it's not worth letting these diseases back into circulation again...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

cbyrd wrote: »
    I had measles mumps and rubella all before the age of 4.. i have a hearing problem linked to the mumps.. i think one of the reasons people are not great at getting the vaccinations on time is we never see the diseases anymore so we dont' know that the symptoms or after effects of having any of them can be so severe.
    I had chronic earaches as a kid from the age of 18 months to 8 years.. i missed about a year of school altogether and my hearing is gone in my left ear and it will eventually go in the right aswell..
    I was lucky.. i wasn't braindamaged or worse..(although most of my family will disagree :D) dont' delay it's not worth letting these diseases back into circulation again...;)

Agree completely . . Measles is also a very serious disease and young children in Ireland and Britain almost certainly died from measles as a result of non-vaccination due to the bogus autism connection. The HSPC website (www.hspc.ie) is another good source of information if you are trying to better understand the risks of these diseases.

Advertisement