Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does statutory redundancy hurt the company?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Heya,

Not a problem, but wanted to go unreg.

Hypothetically, if I worked in a company for 15 years and my family and I had decided to move to Canada, and I was also aware that the company would not re-hire another person for me as I have automated and passed on all the knowledge for the systems I ran. Would asking the company for statutory redundancy have any detrimental effect for them? Would there be any reason for them to say no if my position would not be re-filled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Yes they would have to pay your redundancy money up front and then wait up to 12mths to get the rebate of 60% back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would there be any reason for them to say no if my position would not be re-filled?
    If you're going to leave anyway, they would prefer to not pay you statutory redundancy and go through the additional administrative pieces that involves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It saves them 8 weeks pay, approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Even if the OP will be leaving the job voluntarily anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eoin wrote: »
    Even if the OP will be leaving the job voluntarily anyway?

Thanks for all the replies.

No eoin,

What I meant was that if redundancy was offered I would plan to make my job redundant. As opposed to giving the usual notice and moving to Canada. This could happen over a period of 6 months - 1 year, as long as it takes really.

Of course, if it costs the company anything I wouldnt ask this, these guys have treated me well over the years and I am quite loyal to them, but I also wouldnt mind a small reward for my service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement