Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get your business up the Google rankings

• 26-04-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me here. We have a website we have also registered on most of the free databases, tradesmen.ie, hotfrog.ie etc, and have put our business on google maps, however I dont seem to be able to get our site to appear when somebody puts in keywords "Curtains" and the location any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Your site needs to be optomised for google talk to your web designer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

there's no one way solution

you need seo on your website, either talk to a someone experienced or learn all about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭LauraOrlagh

The keyword 'Curtains' needs to be appearing a lot on your website and it is important it's appearing in your page titles and meta tags in order to aid Google's scan of your site and to optimise the word 'curtains' for your website. Curtains may also be a popular word which others have optimised towards so this could be thwarting your efforts too.

However, I am not a SEO expert - that is just what I have learned from my general study of SEO over the past couple of months, you might need to ask an expert for some expert advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

sitesell.com ;) they do the whole package and teach you how to do seo. It also has all the features you'll ever need. I use it can't be beaten if your doing it your self. ps. i'm not associated with them at all just been using it for 3 years or so.
    It still took me 6 months or so to get no.1 in google for my keywords but it really works. Their online software helps you find profitable keywords optomise images etc. and tells you where to place them on your site and thats just 1 of 100's of features and 299 CAD dollars per year its a bargin. Lots of work though :(.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

I worked doing SEO for a while so here's a few free tips. Check out Google adwords to find the most relevent and signifcant keywords to use as your meta keywords. Meta title should have company name location and what you do. Meta description should describe the company name and what you do in a couple of lines.

Remember not to duplicate keywords and also to use keywords from Google adwords as these are what people are searching most. Make all of these items different for different pages of your website. These are just a few small tips. Remember when you launch a website it's put in the Google sandbox for the first 6 months so in most cases no chance of ranking anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Whats your URL? It you post it here we'll be able to look at the site and see if its an onsite or off site problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

I think myself from what I have learned, there is no easy way to do it. It takes a lot of time and patience and hard work. So be prepared to spend a lot of time at your computer. I have been optimising mine and I think I am moving in the right direction. If I can give you one piece of advice. Do not _ DO NOT! Pay any of these sites that promise you search engine optimisation. It really is down to you. And don't forget to submit to directories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

It is possible to do it yourself.

Mess around, you won't get there over night. Try things like:
    Use meta tags
    Get links from the sites ahead of you
    Have good content and mention the word you want to get to the top a few times.
    Set up social networking and link to your site.
    Submit a sitemap.

use as your meta keywords.

The meta keywords tag has no effect on rankings anymore, I don't blame you for mentioning it, but I know leading companies who still include this in an SEO audit for clients just for the sake of it while it has no impact these days. All it does these days is show your competitors what keywords you're ranking for/trying to...

Post up your URL and listen to Ronan(TheCostumeShop), definitely the person I'd pay attention to on boards (for obvious reasons) when it comes to online businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheGooseLicker

Is there a standard template used at all no? Or has anyone had a go at providing one?

• Advertisement

Is there a standard template used at all no? Or has anyone had a go at providing one?

Not really, and it mainly comes down to what you're going to focus on initially be it on site (keywords, meta data, content etc) and then off site such as link building. In most SEO audits I've been exposed to and developed, a lot of it is making changes and reviewing them on say a quarterly basis.

In an ideal world, SEO should be done before the site is even built in terms of structure and site architecture but the reality is this rarely occurs when dealing with huge companies and even bigger sites.

So in Ireland, where clients simply do not understand SEO or the immediate benefits of it, and let's face it, it's still a testing game...a lot of the time it's one persons thoughts against another but until you test it, you won't know for sure.

Realistically, it's about hitting targets set in the proposal which the client and you have signed off and agreed with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

What do you mean by a standard template? For meta tags?
    As TheEntrepreneur said meta tags don't really matter as the big search engines don't use them. Use Meta descriptions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

The meta keywords tag has no effect on rankings anymore, I don't blame you for mentioning it, but I know leading companies who still include this in an SEO audit for clients just for the sake of it while it has no impact these days. All it does these days is show your competitors what keywords you're ranking for/trying to...

Its been my experience that omitting the keywords can be a big mistake. Keywords, meta description, meta title, picture titles all have immense relevance. It's a combination of all these things that the Google algorithms analyse for search relevance. Just check out any of the sites with a high google page rank and you will see the evidence for this e.g. adobe, irish independent or any media sites etc.

TIts been my experience that omitting the keywords can be a big mistake. Keywords, meta description, meta title, picture titles all have immense relevance. It's a combination of all these things that the Google algorithms analyse for search relevance. Just check out any of the sites with a high google page rank and you will see the evidence for this e.g. adobe, irish independent or any media sites etc.

Things change. Some sites don't, or else they purposely leave them there, it's really not a big deal if they are still there, they just don't contribute towards SEO. Bottom line is you're wrong, meta keywords are irrelevant.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/keywords-meta-tag-in-web-search/

Advertisement