Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Graphics Card

Options
  • 26-04-2010 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have an old PC (6 yrs) that I put together myself. I have noticed lately that when playing HD films/more demanding stuff that my machine is really struggling. I have put in the max amount of memory my Mobo can take so I am now looking to upgrade my Graphics card. My MOBO has an AGP slot (32 bit I presume?) but only supports 4x. Would it be a waste of time therefore buying an 8x card as the graphics card will only work at 4x, same as my MOBO? I know upgrading the machine would be best but funds are not available at the moment

Could anyone advise a really good card that would suit? My existing card is a lot older than 6 yrs BTW as I borrowed it from a friend and must return it:D

Appreciate the advice
    Thanks all.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

This seems to be the cheapest HD-accelerated card for AGP I can find. I assume you're not gaming on this machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Solitaire wrote: »
    This seems to be the cheapest HD-accelerated card for AGP I can find. I assume you're not gaming on this machine?

Yes Solitaire, that is correct, no gaming as such. I just want to be able to watch HD movies etc. It mentions that the exchange interface memory processor is 64 bit. Is this referring to the interface between the memory and processor on the actual card itself, mot the Mobo? Also will it support 4X 1.5Volt?
    Much appreciated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

64bit refers to the GPU-memory bus interface, the smaller it is the less quickly the GPU can access memory, but the cheaper the card becomes.

1.5v is the last incarnation of AGP so it should be fine. Its the really old 1.8v version that could have caused problems. Likewise, I don't see AGPx4 being an issue if you're not playing games, it just won't need all that bandwidth for HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Solitaire wrote: »
    64bit refers to the GPU-memory bus interface, the smaller it is the less quickly the GPU can access memory, but the cheaper the card becomes.

1.5v is the last incarnation of AGP so it should be fine. Its the really old 1.8v version that could have caused problems. Likewise, I don't see AGPx4 being an issue if you're not playing games, it just won't need all that bandwidth for HD.

Thanks so much for that Solitaire. Much appreciated. I will get that one.:)

Advertisement