Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another rescued from the Shannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

its sad to hear this kind of thing....

You are right though, it is becoming very common

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Perhaps there has been no change in incidents but the reporting rate has increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

concussion wrote: »
    Perhaps there has been no change in incidents but the reporting rate has increased?

I would imagine that it is a bit of both. Especially in the current economic climate. Many people are desperate and can see no other way out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

It is way too often altogether!

Great to hear this person was rescued though. Mustn't have been easy for emergency services at 3am like.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

It happens so much more often than people think it is almost a weekly occourance.

For the past 1 1/2 years I'm living in an apartment over looking the river and see it all to often. In total I have seen emergency services pull about 20+ people from the railings and bridges and they are the ones no-body hears about as they didn't make the news.
    All I can say is thank God that the Gardai and Fire Service are so dedicated and that ordinary joe soaps are vigilant and helpful in these situations because if not, there would be such a higher death toll from people going into the river.
    Just my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Lets not forget the marine search and rescue , who take turns at sleeping in the depot on weekends , and its voluntary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Shammy wrote: »
    Lets not forget the marine search and rescue , who take turns at sleeping in the depot on weekends , and its voluntary work.

i have seen these guys in action and i think they deserve medals

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi guys

I'm the daughter of a member of the marine search and rescue, and my god do they work and train hard. The rate has definitely increased unfortunately and your actually not hearing about most of the rescues/recoveries. Its very sad, the pager wakes me and I know what that means. They'll be gone all night and then come home and go to their actual jobs. They man the station on a rota basis but they are all dispatched when the pager goes off. I have never heard dad complain once. They try to distance themselves emotionally, but to be honest they can rarely do that. Esp if someone is the same age as their kids.

So throw a euro their way at the next collection day because they need everything they can get.. its all voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

smilerxxx wrote: »
    Hi guys

I'm the daughter of a member of the marine search and rescue, and my god do they work and train hard. The rate has definitely increased unfortunately and your actually not hearing about most of the rescues/recoveries. Its very sad, the pager wakes me and I know what that means. They'll be gone all night and then come home and go to their actual jobs. They man the station on a rota basis but they are all dispatched when the pager goes off. I have never heard dad complain once. They try to distance themselves emotionally, but to be honest they can rarely do that. Esp if someone is the same age as their kids.

So throw a euro their way at the next collection day because they need everything they can get.. its all voluntary.

You must be very proud of your dad

I have a lot of respect for them & the work they do

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Absolutely Casperbhoy and thanks for saying so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

Smilerxxx Your dad is amazing and a good man, he should be proud of you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Smilerxxx Your dad is amazing and a good man, he should be proud of you as well.

Agree with this 100%
    Marine search and rescue guys do an amazing job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

Dont Forget Bunratty Search And Rescue ;) Alot of our work goes unnoticed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I have an awful lot of respest for the search and rescue guys, wonderful work they do in such tragic circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Shane Slv wrote: »
    Dont Forget Bunratty Search And Rescue ;) Alot of our work goes unnoticed

Them too:)

But I think we all mean all search & rescue guys and Gals...

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement