Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharepoint Migration

Options
  • 26-04-2010 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone have any experience in Sharepoint 2007 migrations from one environment to another.
    Is using the stsadm backup and restore the best method ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It depends very much on what you are transferring (a whole site collection, individual sub sites, all out-of-box functionality or some custom etc), and the reason you are trying to migrate (once off, moving new functionality from a dev to live environment etc).

For a once off move of standard functionality stuff, the stsadm backup (in site collection mode) works really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Hi Steven,

thanks for the reply.
    I would like to move everything onto a new server, while keeping the current system up & running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ok

Easiest way is the following

1. Install new farm with blank content database.
    2. Install all features templates that were installed on the old server.
    3. Take a back up of the existing database in SQL Server
    4. Restore the database to the new server.
    5 Give the current SharePoint admin app pool and standard app pool users access to the database using the content database from 1 as a guide
    6. In Central Admin, manage the content databases and remove the sample one and add the one from 4

Verify everything is ok.

If you are changing domains its a whole different kettle of fish and requires a bit of changing of accounts. I have a tool which I am finishing up that migrates user accounts from one domain to another in SharePoint

The database contains the user accounts and a SID and if they dont match they will break but using the app you can change the username and SID and still maintain the security of documents so access can be maintained etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Thanks Ginger,
    What I did was create a website in a new environment,
    dropped the content database,
    did a restore of the prod database to the new environment and added the content database to the new website, and all seems to be in order!!!!

No doubt I'll be back again, but thanks

Advertisement