Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake failure Opel Corsa

• 26-04-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Anyone else have something similar happen or any advice?

Drove to work no problem & parked up. 7 hours later when I was leaving the brakes failed & the car rolled down a slope into the middle of the main street. Don't know how I didn't hit a pedestrian or another car.

My local garage picked it up. No leaks or no warning lights. They said they never seen anything like it before. Brought it to the local Opel garage & this is the report they sent me:

"We carried out our checking procedures, brake pedal going to floor, checked fluid level, no fluid in reservoir,
    Checked for leaks, no leaks found at wheels, checked servo unit, brake fluid in servo unit, brake master
    Cylinder causing fluid to leak into servo unit, vehicle requires brake master cylinder and brake servo unit."

We bought the car new in April 2007. Its got about 21000 km on it & it had a 2 year warranty. It has been serviced but not with Opel & the brakes haven't been touched yet.

The garage we bought it off said because its out of warranty its up to Opel to do a goodwill gesture. Opel said no to the garage & are saying no to me as well despite putting them under pressure. They say its a mechanical part and as such can wear & tear. Its out of warranty so they are not prepared to do anything.

I have been speaking to the National Consumer Agency & will probably get the car fixed by Opel (€900) & try my look in the small claims court. I am worried though that it could be a design fault & could happen or may already have happened to someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Did the low fluid warning not light up on the dash??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tough luck I'd say.

p.s. Why didn't you leave the car in gear when parked?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rourky007

crosshair1 wrote: »
    Did the low fluid warning not light up on the dash??

No
    Tough luck I'd say.

p.s. Why didn't you leave the car in gear when parked?

The handbrake was on. The problem only became apparent the first time I tried to brake.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

rourky007 wrote: »
    ....The handbrake was on. The problem only became apparent the first time I tried to brake.

Gotcha. Odd that the warning light didn't come on if you had no brake fluid.

In that emergency situation you could have turned the engine off with it in 1st gear and stalled it on purpose and/or or pulled the handbrake really hard.

Advertisement