Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Surprisingly Good' Team of the Season

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Pavlyuchenko would be on there for me and most definately Scott Parker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pedro Rodriguez. Unknown 22 year old winger from Barca Atletic, steps up and scores 20 goals in his breakthrough season. Not many better left wingers out there in world football, definitely worth a shout in this team imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SlickRic wrote: »
    yes, he was good for PSV.

but players have come from the Dutch League and tanked. and his start for Spurs was diabolical. people are fully justified if they're surprised with how good he's been this season.

Gomes recovered his form from Nov 2008 onwards, most people probably missed that as they were too busy snickering at Adrian Chiles or Eamon Dunphy telling people how crap a keeper he was.

Like I said, his start at Tottenham echoed his first six months at PSV.

The fact that he had a shocker at the start of his English career shouldn't have blinded people to his potential, and anybody who watched him play with any regularity should have been able to see he had all the attributes to make him a top keeper.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    but to be as impressive and as prolific as he has been, particularly scoring against so many of the big teams, has been surprising.

Like he scored away against Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United last season in a Spurs shirt? Or the goals scored home and away against Villa, or the two scored away to City? And that with him having a tough season and being compared to Harry's missus? ;)

C'mon, do people actually forget what a player is capable of because the spotlight is taken off them? I cannot believe anybody is surprised Darren Bent has scored goals consistently at Sunderland this season, perhaps the extent of the haul but surely not the fact itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i was about to say that, Gomes had an excellent second half to last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gomes recovered his form from Nov 2008 onwards, most people probably missed that as they were too busy snickering at Adrian Chiles or Eamon Dunphy telling people how crap a keeper he was.

Like I said, his start at Tottenham echoed his first six months at PSV.

The fact that he had a shocker at the start of his English career shouldn't have blinded people to his potential, and anybody who watched him play with any regularity should have been able to see he had all the attributes to make him a top keeper.

Hard to think of a keeper in the league that had a more dramtic bad start though. There's alot of keepers around that have the attributes but just don't cut it. It's suprising to me because he's gone from one end of the scale to the other.

Funnily enough when I first saw Almunia when he was starting with Arsenal I thought he looked really good, went downhill from there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nobody's argued that he didn't have the potential.

not for one second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Thomas Vermaelen

Nobody really expected him to be that good. Not even Wenger I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

eZe^ wrote: »
    Pedro Rodriguez. Unknown 22 year old winger from Barca Atletic, steps up and scores 20 goals in his breakthrough season. Not many better left wingers out there in world football, definitely worth a shout in this team imo.
    Barca player always have to feck everything up by being freakishly better....

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Thomas Vermaelen

Nobody really expected him to be that good. Not even Wenger I'd imagine.
    He's scored lots of goals, but he ain't the best defender around, which for a centre half, ain't too good!

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He's scored lots of goals, but he ain't the best defender around, which for a centre half, ain't too good!

Agree, in fact, he's quickly becoming over rated I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

A player who supervised me was Valencia at United. I didn't think that he would make such an impact but he's been in fine form.

I like the fact he's like your conventional old school winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

veXual wrote: »
    A player who supervised me was Valencia at United.

In what capacity?

Mr Alan wrote: »

I agree he's not the best defender around but the team's about expectations and when we signed him most fans were scratching their heads wondering why?
    Ajax fans were delighted with £10m for a player who was decent but by no means great. Arsenal fans presumed we were going to sign another defender and that Verm would be a decent back up. Instead he's gone on to become a highlight of the season...yes he's made mistakes but he's also got a mad amount of goals and has been our best defender overall. He made the PFA team of the year and is now considered to be a potential Arsenal captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

yes he's made mistakes but he's also got a mad amount of goals and has been our best defender overall.

Imo Gallas has been far and away our best defender.
    With Sagna close behind him.
    Then Vermaelen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I agree he's not the best defender around but the team's about expectations and when we signed him most fans were scratching their heads wondering why?
    Ajax fans were delighted with £10m for a player who was decent but by no means great. Arsenal fans presumed we were going to sign another defender and that Verm would be a decent back up. Instead he's gone on to become a highlight of the season...yes he's made mistakes but he's also got a mad amount of goals and has been our best defender overall. He made the PFA team of the year and is now considered to be a potential Arsenal captain.

Thats nearly as much as Wenger has spent on anyone in all fairness. He was unlikely to spend that much on a bench warmer in all fairness, surely?

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Imo Gallas has been far and away our best defender.
    With Sagna close behind him.
    Then Vermaelen.

Possibly in fairness. I guess I subconsciously deducted marks from him because of his time out with injury.

I'd have Verm ahead of Sagna personally.

Possibly in fairness. I guess I subconsciously deducted marks from him because of his time out with injury.

Yeah Billy G's injury and the situation with his contract have taken the gloss off what, for me anway, has been one of his best season in an Arsenal shirt.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Thats nearly as much as Wenger has spent on anyone in all fairness. He was unlikely to spend that much on a bench warmer in all fairness, surely?

Yeah true but from purely a fans perspective because nobody really knew much about him, and that the Ajax fans who I talked to were shocked that he moved for that amount, it was a surprise to see him be plunged in straight away. Because he moved at the very start of summer there was three months of speculation about different defenders (though in all probability Wenger didn't make a move for any of them) including Zapata, Upson and then Toure moved. Because of the money we had available there was a consensus that we'd get another defender. (Im not speaking for all arsenal fans here but on a few forums and lads im friends with).

Of course Vermalen was an excellent surprise this season.

A very good defender who also chips in with goals.

noodler wrote: »
    Of course Vermalen was an excellent surprise this season.

A very good defender who also chips in with goals.

For 10 mill, I'd kinda have hoped for as much tbh.;)

*shuffles*

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah Billy G's injury and the situation with his contract have taken the gloss off what, for me anway, has been one of his best season in an Arsenal shirt.

Just on that fact, I also feel that Vermaelen has helped get the best out of Gallas, considering he attacks the ball constantly while Gallas likes the sweeper role. added to the fact that the left footer complements the right footed Gallas.

*shuffles*

Hah...tell that to Man City with Lescott and Toure! 10 mill is gambling with money these days apparently! :)

*shuffles*

How much was Vidic?

Agger, Srktel?

How much was Anderson?

I can't believe this is even in dispute.

EDIT: And stop your bleeding shuffling!

Granted a defender's job is primarily to defend but he has been part of a defence that has got Arsenal to the Quarters of the CL and third in the League so he can't be all bad. I don't think it is fair to disregard his goals tally because it isn't his primary function.

How much was Vidic?

Agger, Srktel?

How much was Anderson?

Granted a defender's job is primarily to defend but he has been part of a defence that has got Arsenal to the Quarters of the CL and third in the League so he can't be all bad. I don't think it is fair to disregard his goals tally because it isn't his primary function.

Agger was 5, half the price of Verm. Skrtel was 6.5. Vidic cost 7 and is a fair slice above Verm for me.

How much was Vidic?

Agger, Srktel?

How much was Anderson?

They were all a good bit less than 10 million AFAIK?:confused:

No idea what Anderson has to do with it? He certinly hasn't justified his price tag anyway and has been "surprisingly slow to develop" if anything.

I think Vermaelen is a good defender. My only prior knowledge of the lad was his price, which at 10 million, by Arsenal standards is a good wedge of money. So to see a 10 million pound defender play well doesn't particularly surprise me, which is the premise of the thread.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Agger was 5, half the price of Verm. Skrtel was 6.5. Vidic cost 7 and is a fair slice above Verm for me.

Right? And Verm just had better seasons than all of the above for my money.

I think Vermaelen is a good defender. My only prior knowledge of the lad was his price, which at 10 million, by Arsenal standards is a good wedge of money. So to see a 10 million pound defender play well doesn't particularly surprise me, which is the premise of the thread.

Wow, really?

Tell me that isn't really how you make judgements?

Well I don't nessacerily agree with that but what then is suprising about a more expensive player having a better season than cheaper ones?

He cost more, you'd expect him to if you were using transfer fees as a guide!

Also its debateable whether verm has been better than Vidic, who has been injured for long spells but has been monumentally goos the last few weeks since he recovered fully.

I think the point was missed when I name dropped other defenders.

Realative value to relative contribution (this season) would have been the point.

• Advertisement

He cost more, you'd expect him to if you were using transfer fees as a guide!

Also its debateable whether verm has been better than Vidic, who has been injured for long spells but has been monumentally goos the last few weeks since he recovered fully.

It isn't debatable then, surely?

Jesus, you have a very narrow criterion for making your judgements on players Flatch.

I think the point was missed when I name dropped other defenders.

Realative value to relative contribution (this season) would have been the point.

Well no, how suprised you were with how he did is the point.

Wow, really?

Tell me that isn't really how you make judgements?

Its how you're making judgements in this thread.

What I'm saying is I had never seen Vermaelen play before he signed for Arsenal. So all I had to go on was the transfer fee.

It isn't debatable then, surely?

Jesus, you have a very narrow criterion for making your judgements on players Flatch.

I don't see how you can come to this conclusion from what I've posted here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

In fantasy football or real life?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well no, how suprised you were with how he did is the point.

I was surprised by his performances, his aerial ability, his range of passing and shooting and his goals tally.
    Its how nyou're making judgements in this thread.

What I'm saying is I had never seen Vermaelen play before he signed for Arsenal. So all I had to go on was the transfer fee.
    I don't see how you can come to this conclusion from what I've posted here tbh.

Meh.
    EI111 wrote: »
    In fantasy football or real life?

By that snide comment, I can only assume that you believe that one of Srktel, Agger or Vidic has had a better season than Vermalen?

Now as a Liverpool fan I can safely rule out our two lads so yopu must be talking about Vidic. Vermalen, for my money, has definitely had a better season then the Serbian.

But hey, if you only want the post summary then here it is: In real life.

NOODLER DODGE!:pac:

Fair enough. I got the impression though that alot of the Verm ball sucking went on because he scored quite a few goals at the start of the season.

He has been good certainly, but I still think Gallas is alot better. Which I did expect anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

By that snide comment, I can only assume that you believe that one of Srktel, Agger or Vidic has had a better season than Vermalen?

Apologies, it was a pretty snide comment.

I just think Vermaelan has become very overrated as the year has gone by. He is an athlete there is no doubt about that. He has a serious leap, he is quick and he is a good player but he's not that great and he did cost a fair amount.
    I couldn't see him taking Jonny Evans place at United for instance.

• Advertisement

Well Pique couldn't take Evans place at United and look how that turned out.

I don't neccessarily agree but I definitely don't see how it is relevant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hart

Carr
    Craddock
    Dawson
    Bale

N'Zonzi

Prince-Boateng
    Ferguson

Bowyer
    Hunt

Zamora

eagle eye wrote: »

Hart

Carr
    Craddock
    Dawson
    Bale

N'Zonzi

Prince-Boateng
    Ferguson

Bowyer
    Hunt

Zamora

Ferguson is actually a great shout, totally written off after is time as at Blackburn.

I like this team actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I like this team actually.

it kicks my team's ass in terms of accuracy i think.

the only two i'd have a problem with are KP Boateng, because i don't rate him at all really.

and Craddock, who i think, like Vermaelen, has probably benefitted from the fact he's scored a few. Berra has been more impressive in that backline IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eagle eye wrote: »

Hart

Carr
    Craddock
    Dawson
    Bale

N'Zonzi

Prince-Boateng
    Ferguson

Bowyer
    Hunt

Zamora

I think that's a very good shout with the exception of Bale who has been shocking at LB, but awesome at LM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Hart
    Cuellar - R. Johnson - Dawson - Warnock
    O'Hara - Bowyer
    Nani - Milner - Bale
    Zamora

Advertisement