Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EAR PIERCING A BABY

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My sister and I snuck off and had ours pierced when we were 12 and 13. My Mum went mental as she hates earings and said serves us right when it turned out we were both sensitive to all earrings. My poor sister had to go to hosp to get one of hers removed, it was that red swollen and pus filled.:eek:

She has just let her 12 year old have hers done for her birthday. Fair enough. Any younger looks disgusting IMO. Will let my daughter have hers done at 12 if she insists for ages and ages and ages :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

She has a phobia of needles :)

neoB wrote: »
    I myself had my daughters ears done around a few months of age once she had her tetnus shot. I don't see the problem with it. Just the same as getting her monthly shots. We didn't have the problem of infection. Nor did she tugged on them. I kept right on it! and knowing I have allergies to even the sensitive earbobs they have for people with allergies, she wears real gold. But I didn't have huge earrings in her ear either. She had small stones. She still only wears small stones. I wouldn't put anything in her ear that could be tugged on by her younger brother or other children. Now that is silly. She is nearing four years old and we haven't had any problems. She didn't even cry when it was done really. She looks fine and not some little bimbo or anything. It's classy and I don't honestly see what the deal is, but its common here :/. I think it's one thing to have small studs, versus a baby or little child walking around with like five holes in both ears and dangling and jiggly earbobs..... but of course everyone has their own opinion. Frankly if looked after, and they can deal with their shots ...why not?

I think it's mainly a class thing here.You live in the US right?. Itinerents and the "non-working" class and foreigners are the main fans of piercing baby ears in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thaedydal wrote: »
    She has a phobia of needles :)

And they're no ordinary needles, they're huge :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Grawns wrote: »
    I think it's mainly a class thing here.You live in the US right?. Itinerents and the "non-working" class and foreigners are the main fans of piercing baby ears in Ireland.

Now do you not think thats a bit judgemental or steryotypical to say the least!!
    I know people who would be "Upper class" who have their young childrens ears pierced. I know a few people who did it when the children were babies so that it would be over and done with quickly. My child is 2 and a bit and hasnt had her ears pierced yet (Father does not like earrings on babies) although I would of liked to get them done. I dont agree with big earrings but small studs are fine.
    Making a blanket judgment on peoples class because their babies have their ears pierced is ignorent. I say each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

That we are in the US. I have to agree with what themysteriouson said. I see little guys walking around with huge diamond studs in their ears. I would never do that to my son because I think it's HIGHLY tasteless. But some people dig it :). To each their own indeed. Regardless of what others do, if it seems fit to my family, we go for it.. other than that where we live, how much we make, stereotypes etc.. have no factor on lifestyle or little ears hehe. :D

Don't shoot the messanger! Just stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

blond45 wrote: »
    was in dunns to day getting a few bits for dinner, what i saw upset me , a baby with pierced ears with big ear rings in that you see for an adult, isnt that so wrong?? or am i over reacting here. wouldnt she pull at them , and the pain getting them done it bloody hurts. anyone here thinks its abuse. when i say baby ,it was just about able to sit up.

yes i also agree it is absolutely the most ridiculous thing i have seen in all my life they should outlaw it Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Doroteo

I'm foreign national, back in Mexico is just common that girls while they are in the Hospital get their ears pierce. I got a Daughter 11 months now. I did not pierce her ears, She can choose it if she wants to or not when ever she wants.
    I like piercing personally, have 5 in my ears but that's something I choose to do so.

I was talking to a friend of mine Irish national, he told me that piercing have some bad conotation about social class diference. Never notice in 8 years living in Ireland really until he mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 orls1985

i know im probably going to get alot of complaints about this. But i had my ears pierced at 2, after hounding my parents for rings in my ears my father eventually gave in and took to me to a jeweller where they froze my ears and 24 years later my ears are still pierced. Now fate is getting its own back on me with my 3 year stealing my earrings and trying to put them in her ears, and when i asked her what she wanted for her birthday this year, 2 things a scooter and earrings! Now how i dont agree with baby's having there ears pierced (it just looks down right cheap and tacky) i am however allowing her to get her ears pierced by my best friend who is a qualified beautician and is qualified to pierce ears, i do agree with you in the sense that small babies having them done at an age where they cant sit up or even crawl is awful, but my toddler is aking since before christmas for these and well she knows her mind, and it did me no harm, i do wish however they'd bring back freezing the ear lobes......my mother might go and get hers redone again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Buy her clip on earrings - her own special earrings.

Then the worst that can happen is that she loses them (as opposed to ending up ripping an earlobe or with infection).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jerry Jordan

i think its child abuse. no one is touching my daughters ears until she is old enough to make her own decision. it killed me getting all her vaccinations done and watching her in pain with them. why any mother would on purpose put their innocent baby through pain for cosmetic reasons is beyond me. it should be illegal. and the people offering the service are just as disgusting and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

Clip ins are a great compromise in situations where the child is askin for their ears to be pierced. If they are a toddler I doubt they know the ins and outs of how earrings work, so clip ins would satisfy the longing for earrings in my opinion.

Advertisement