Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle touring

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

wow very smart when will you try it out .i was to be heading to galway next week but the forecast is crap for the week so i'm staying putt:mad:
    where the hell is summer gone .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Was planning, also next week, to do the Grand Canal to Shannonharbour then to Roscrea (campsite) on to Donard, Co. Wickla (campsite) and home, but it'll wait for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

How long does that take to set up? You sure you've got the 'left' side (as you look at the photos) set up right? Don't have one myself but fly looks a little wrong or at least rubbing against the inner in a way that'll wear a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Nice tent... can you fit 2 people inside, or is it more a 1-person jobby?

How long does that take to set up? You sure you've got the 'left' side (as you look at the photos) set up right? Don't have one myself but fly looks a little wrong or at least rubbing against the inner in a way that'll wear a hole.

Looks weird at the back alright, but the two "things" sticking up are small poles built into the inner. They create a bit more room inside by pulling the inner out if you see what i mean. They tension the inner at the back.

Sets up in a few minutes. Inner first.

It's officially a two man but more suited to 1 person.

1.7kg.

• Advertisement

Heading off on Friday then. Weather seems good at the weekend.
    Get in........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

What's the situation with cycling the Canals in Ireland.

The Royal canal wouldn't be too far from me. Is it possible to cycle the length of it or would it be hassle with panniers?

If anyone has done it I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

As far as I've researched, it's a MTB job and difficult at that.

P1010906.jpg

nice set up hopefully you'll get nice weather did you mention what route your taking.;)

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »

ahh that link wont for me, maybe its this old computer .
    anyway enjoy the tour ,what kind of weight are you carrying ,also would your gear be as good for a month as it would for three days;)
    i know when i'm off for a week i have 14lb in each rear pannier plus tent on rack / stool and crocks are usually tied on there as well so quiet a weight on the back, i have bought front ortlieb panniers but as yet havent used them .

Dublin / Shannon Harbour via Grand Canal / Roscrea(Campsite) / Donard,(Campsite) Co. Wickla and home.
    320k. or something.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Planet X wrote: »

Your link is restricted to friends only, you need to make it public :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm hoping to do some camping with the Mrs in the coming weeks (it won't be on bikes), anyway since I'll be getting gear together anyway can anyone suggest a cheap but good 2 man tent? (I want atleast some room in it)

I'm hoping to do a night or two perhaps on the bike if I can fit it in.

So far I've seen http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Bedrock-Two-Man-Tent/dp/B001P80GM8/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJQB8PPBRL3MM&colid=2P4HHA43WM7IM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm fairly sure I'm going for this

I'm fairly sure I'm going for this

Any reviews on it? I'm sure it'll be fine but I'd always worry about the durability of a cheap tent for extended touring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Cabaal wrote: »

A fart would blow that over. Also, you'd probably want a PU closer to 5,000mm for good waterproofness.

Try jackson-sports.com

A vango tent would probably suit you.

For a good lightweight tent your talking close to €150.

Also don't go for anything with 1 pole, or an 'innovative' design. Rain and wind hasn't changed much over the past few centuries, and much like bikes, the basic tent designs have been around for years.

Any reviews on it? I'm sure it'll be fine but I'd always worry about the durability of a cheap tent for extended touring.

It's getting good press over on yacf.co.uk, hence my interest in it

looks great to me not unlike the excellent hilleberg akto in design yip go buy it .;)

• Advertisement

I don't it would handle the wind very well.

OK, you don't need a high mountain tent, but it should at least handle the weather of the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Yeah, I've also read that 5,000mm of waterproofyness is the least you should aim for.

Yeah, I've also read that 5,000mm of waterproofyness is the least you should aim for.

Really? From what I've read that is incredibly high (usually groundsheets are rated at 5000mm) -the Hilleberg Akto which is a fair reference for cycle touring has a fly with a rating of 2000mm, and all my research points to 2k being perfectly acceptable rating for an all weather tent.

As for the wind blowing it over, I think that has a lot to do with location and quality of pitching, so wouldn't worry too much about it blowing over either.

Really? From what I've read that is incredibly high (usually groundsheets are rated at 5000mm) -the Hilleberg Akto which is a fair reference for cycle touring has a fly with a rating of 2000mm, and all my research points to 2k being perfectly acceptable rating for an all weather tent.

As for the wind blowing it over, I think that has a lot to do with location and quality of pitching, so wouldn't worry too much about it blowing over either.

I wasn't sure if he was just being sarky. My hubba hubba is 2500 and kept one torrential night of rain off me

I wasn't sure if he was just being sarky. My hubba hubba is 2500 and kept one torrential night of rain off me

I think Pete may have been, but I don't think Dayshah was... either way, i'm not planning on being out in many torrential downpours so I'll be grand I reckon -at least till I've saved up for a tarptent :)

The force from a downpour isn't too bad. What you want is a tent that can handle the rain with the added force of wind. PU isn't everything, but 2,000mm is really at the bottom end of the scale. I'd rather it weigh 1kg extra and guaranteed of dryness.

Remember, lots/most of these tents are designed for hikers. The weight/price trade-off for them is different to someone carrying the tent on a bike. You can get a decent, suitable tent for €100, but for decent+suitable+lightweight you are talking at least €150.

As for stability in wind, pitching a tent in a nice level back garden is one thing. However, pitching in an uneven field, with no shelter from a garden wall is another. A tent that relies on a single pole for most of its structural support will only resist wind from a single direction.

I'd make a choice between saving money and saving weight. But I wouldn't compromise on hydrostatic head or having 2 poles.

Vango are a good brand. They are British, so are designed for our weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I think Pete may have been,
    Nope, thats what I've read!. Can't remember where exactly but was reading up on tents before I bought mine. I was looking for a 4 season one (I had adventurous notions) and read it was the minimum to get for rainy climates.

I may be over compensating after a bad experience at Electric Picnic with a cheap tent bought from wal-mart in the states. Soaked through in minutes. spent the night applying sealant to the seams. It's not fun waking up in a pool of cold water.

I also over compensated with my latest sleeping bag after waking up shivering while camping at the ROK last year. I had to put on all the clothes and eat all the food I had to get warm again, in the middle of summer. I had the new 5,000mm tent and no rain got in.

Edit: Just to further add to all this. When I was buying my latest sleeping, I went for a down filled one, for warmth and compactness. But have read they are a beatch to dry, not good for our damp climate. I also remembered while testing it that I am allergic to down filled items:rolleyes:, so I passed it on to my bro. So I then went for a Vango Ultralite. Seems to be well made.

Went down the canal Friday morning, thinking this "Grand Canal Way" business was a cycle all the way down to Shannon Harbour. Not. The newly paved and utterly brilliant cycleway/walkway ends a few miles the far side of the M50 underpass and then it's on to "the Seventh Level Of Hell" section for 5k to McEvoys pub as in photo, next bridge up. The first picture doesn't do it justice as it makes Roubaix cobbles look like a walk in the park, No I haven't cycles Roubaix and unqualified to comment :D. you know what I mean though. Jagged rutted loose stones more suited to a MTB. I was on 32mm tyres and taking it very gingerly. 10kph for that 5k up to McEvoys.
    P1010001.jpg

actually, the above picture is probably of a better section.

So, across the bridge and on to another surface. It changed from rutted grass tracks to rough loose chippings to rocky grass sections and the odd paved / road section.P1010002.jpg

From Stillorgan to Robertstown, 50k, it took me three hours almost exactly. Far too slow and wasn't having it. That's including road cycling from the house to when I hit the canal cycle track around Inchicore or somewhere. Where the road veers off the canal.

The Grand Canal Way switched from left hs of the Canal to RHS at virtually every bridge so as long as you followed the signs, you were OK.
    P1010003.jpg

Must have cycled about 5/8 miles or so on grass, slow going. P1010004.jpg

Barriers down Kildare way were a squeeze,

P1010005.jpg

50k and I'd had enough of cyclocross with loaded panniers and 10kph, so at Robertstown took to the hardtop. Drizzle.
    Edenderry-Tullamore by this time, lashing rain. Beautiful. Yeah, I knew the forecast but took the day off and went for it regardless.
    Thoroughly soaked and headed to Roscrea as fast as I can to get out of the weather and into a hot shower at the campsite. Tullamore to Roscrea was slightly Southerly and into the wind. Brill!!!! About 4 odd hours in the rain.
    Hit the campsite and the good woman wouldn't let me put up the tent, still lashing, and put me into a vacant mobile home. Result. Sat there shaking for about 20mins. Developed a sore throat. Could chew food but not swallow or with great difficulty. :mad: Razor blade, barbed wire throat effect.
    Got to watch the double Corrie on TV though. :P
    157K 7hr.53min.

Saturday morning. Up early. Throat slightly better, would bug me all day. 'Sucked" two bananas. Tryed to get kit dry but very damp conditions. Feck it, tail wind, hit the road.
    Roscrea - Mountrath - Portlaoise - Kildare - Nass and home. Was hitting 47kph on the flat on sections. :D:D
    140k 6hr 15 or so.

Unfortunate with the weather but liked my first foray into touring. Will do more and would love to hit France now knowing that I can log miles if needed but would take it handier and enjoy it more. You can't tour in that weather we had on Friday. I'm mad I know.:) The tent didn't move from the rack either!

Total 295.5k in 14 hrs.odd.

Edit: Just to further add to all this. When I was buying my latest sleeping, I went for a down filled one, for warmth and compactness. But have read they are a beatch to dry, not good for our damp climate. I also remembered while testing it that I am allergic to down filled items:rolleyes:, so I passed it on to my bro. So I then went for a Vango Ultralite. Seems to be well made.

Yeah, down is completely useless when wet. Its grand for up in the Alps, where it will snow rather than rain, but not recommended for Ireland. Snugpak do good sleeping bags.

With cycle camping you'll spend more time in your tent than on the saddle, so its worth bearing in mind when prioritising where to spend the money.

Also, carrying some McNett glue stuff can be handy if you are in a cheaper tent, so you can seal it up again if it rains.

Another aspect of tent quality is condensation. My tent has ventilation to prevent the buildup of condensation (I paid €260 on my 2 man tent, and its a no frills, just quality, affair. It weights about 2.4kg which I consider reasonably lightweight for hiking).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

dayshah wrote: »
    With cycle camping you'll spend more time in your tent than on the saddle, so its worth bearing in mind when prioritising where to spend the money.
    I tend to be asleep though while in the tent so I don't notice it quite so much. I tend to be awake on the bike and do notice any extra weight going up a hill.

I think people have different priorities; when cycling with my girlfriend weight doesn't matter so much as it is not the limiting factor but on my own, it does. I aim for light and have around 22-23kg fully loaded (bike and bags.) Even that is only so heavy as I am on a multi-year trip and carrying a bunch of spares (chains, tyres, etc), tools, a laptop and the contents of a small electronics store.

I have a Coleman Rigel X2, a 960g tent I spent £64.50 on. 2 people are technically possible although you would want to know each other pretty well. Plenty of room for just me and my panniers though.

Single skin but have had no problems with condensation; it is roomy enough I don't have to touch the walls.

Have only been in light rain so far but it has stood up fine in strong winds as long as I have the cords attached firmly (I generally tie them to rocks or the bike rather than using pegs.) Monsoon is on the way though in SE Asia so it may have the last laugh.

Advertisement