Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle touring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Sagi wrote: »
    Hi everybody

I'm startng to plan my next trip and this time i'll have 14 days in September, i think I will go from Thessaloniki to Istanbul and make a small detour to Ukraine on the way, or I'll start in Sofia, maybe in Bukarest. well I' have not yet quite decided, I think it will be up to where I get the best and cheapest flights.
    I'm trying to read a lot of Blogs and Forums looking for Route suggestions and Ideas where to start and go, hopefully I'll make up my mind soon so I can start looking for flights.

Sounds like a fun trip! I'm hoping to do something like that at some point this year, so we'll see how it goes. If you're looking for info on cycling to Istanbul, Blorg who sometimes posts here has a great report on his trip: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=7459&v=ML
    Seriously impressive stuff, and awesome pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mcallaghan

I'm 2 days into my tour of SW Ireland. Should have realized yesterday why all the cyclists I saw in the Doolin area were heading the opposite direction - I'm the only one heading into this blasted wind!

It was even worse today and tomorrow, heading from Ballybunion to Dingle, its supposed to be even windier AND rain!

Also, no one bothered to mention that you get rattled to death on the 'roads' out here - anyone heard of a nice, smooth road? Surprised my bike hasn't fallen apart from loose parts from all the rattling. I let out a sigh of relief everytime I find a patch of smooth road and quickly wonder whats wrong - so silent when your bike isn't rattling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hey lads, im balls deep in getting ready for a tour this summer and wondering what I should be packing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Seaneh wrote: »
    Hey lads, im balls deep in getting ready for a tour this summer and wondering what I should be packing?

As little as possible, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

ror_74 wrote: »
    As little as possible, IMO.

As little as possible but all you need

Hard to say without knowing what kind of tour you want to go on, how long? where? camping?

I always end up having too much, i would say, pack as much as you can fit into your panniers or backpack or whatever you use, don't forget spare tubes and tools, think about a first aid kit and all the little things like toothbrush and so on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

mcallaghan wrote: »
    I'm 2 days into my tour of SW Ireland. Should have realized yesterday why all the cyclists I saw in the Doolin area were heading the opposite direction - I'm the only one heading into this blasted wind!

It was even worse today and tomorrow, heading from Ballybunion to Dingle, its supposed to be even windier AND rain!

Also, no one bothered to mention that you get rattled to death on the 'roads' out here - anyone heard of a nice, smooth road? Surprised my bike hasn't fallen apart from loose parts from all the rattling. I let out a sigh of relief everytime I find a patch of smooth road and quickly wonder whats wrong - so silent when your bike isn't rattling.

Sounds like your having fun.:D

Planning on going from Santander to Roscoff over about 20-25 days, and will be camping.

So far I have a tent, a good 2 season bag, a matt, cycling shorts, jerseys, a small camp stove and a few cans of gas, er, Im sure there are other things im not thinking of :P

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Light pair of 3/4 shorts, off the bike t-shirt, sandals/flip flops for off the bike. Maybe a rain jacket to keep dry. I regretted not taking arm warmers on one trip. Other than that, you don't really need much! Phone for internet/music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Planning on going from Santander to Roscoff over about 20-25 days, and will be camping.

So far I have a tent, a good 2 season bag, a matt, cycling shorts, jerseys, a small camp stove and a few cans of gas, er, Im sure there are other things im not thinking of :P

Have you done a tour for this length of time before?

I did a similar journey in 2010 from Cherbourg to Barcelona.

My advice would be (and others have disagreed with me on here in the past) - is not to bring a tent at all, and certainly not to bring a camping stove.

The main reasons I would never use a tent is that tents take time to put up and take down, they get wet and smelly on the inside, you need to put aside valuable time in the day to find a suitable place to place it, and they add weight. All of this, particularly the moisture build up on the inside, would put me off ever using one unelss absolutely necessary.

With the cooking equipment, well, it was never used and added so much weight.

Instead of a tent, when doing a tour, I would sleep 'rough'. There is always somewhere with solid ground and a shelter to put down a sleeping mat and sleeping bag. And in the climate of Spain and the south of France, rain and cold would not be expected, further expanidng potential sleeping locations.

On the otherhand, and advantage of a tent allows you to enter camp sites legitimately. Otherwise it is quite easy to access them for shower purposes. Without one.

Something useful to bring is a Compass. When entering large cities and towns, the large map scale (assuming you are bringing one) tend not to give sufficient detail of the city so as to navigate in and out of it. A compass will allow you to know the direction within a built up area that you should be travelling to get out, so as to not get so lost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Get a GPS, shove some OSM cycling maps on it and ditch the (heavy) dead tree maps. (And the compass.)

• Advertisement

coolemon wrote: »

My advice would be (and others have disagreed with me on here in the past) - is not to bring a tent at all, and certainly not to bring a camping stove.

The main reasons I would never use a tent is that tents take time to put up and take down, they get wet and smelly on the inside, you need to put aside valuable time in the day to find a suitable place to place it, and they add weight. All of this, particularly the moisture build up on the inside, would put me off ever using one unelss absolutely necessary.

Instead of a tent, when doing a tour, I would sleep 'rough'. There is always somewhere with solid ground and a shelter to put down a sleeping mat and sleeping bag. And in the climate of Spain and the south of France, rain and cold would not be expected, further expanidng potential sleeping locations.

On the otherhand, and advantage of a tent allows you to enter camp sites legitimately. Otherwise it is quite easy to access them for shower purposes. Without one.

Something useful to bring is a Compass. When entering large cities and towns, the large map scale (assuming you are bringing one) tend not to give sufficient detail of the city so as to navigate in and out of it. A compass will allow you to know the direction within a built up area that you should be travelling to get out, so as to not get so lost :)

well thats fu.ks up my reply :D
    i had a whole list for ready to post but now ah well each to there own.:rolleyes:

Hm, I' would never go on a tour without a tent, it should not take more than a few minutes to pitch it and pack it in again, also the camping stove is in use daily when I go on a Tour, I love to wake up in a beautiful landscape at sunrise, crawl out of the tent, cook a cup of coffe and enjoy the outdoors.

edit: bring a torch/headlight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Touring shoes are a good call if you're on SPDs. Very handy to be able to hop off the bike and stroll around on tiled floors without slipping or gauging the floor.

serendip wrote: »
    Get a GPS, shove some OSM cycling maps on it and ditch the (heavy) dead tree maps. (And the compass.)

How would you charge it for extended journies?

I know he's not cycling through siberia or tibet, but sometimes one dosnt have time, or the opportunity, to plug it in and charge.

Two maps and a compass probably weigh as much as many gps units+accessories.

How would you charge it for extended journies?

I know he's not cycling through siberia or tibet, but sometimes one dosnt have time, or the opportunity, to plug it in and charge.

Two maps and a compass probably weigh as much as many gps units+accessories.

I bought the b&m usb werk which allows to charge phone or gps througfh the hubdynamo, of course you need a hub dynamo first

I've lived in my tent for weeks at a time in various countries in Europe, North America and South America, it takes me about 5 minutes to pitch and 10 to tear down and pack. It's an extremely good quality tend and weights 2kg packed so I don't really mind bring the slight extra weight. There is no way in hell I'm sleeping wild, insects fecking love my blood.
    The only place condensation is ever an issue is under the fly cover, and that only takes about 10 minutes to dry off if you take it off and hang it somewhere.

As for the camp stove, I play on cooking most of my meals myself and camping wild as much as possible, so it's not an option to not bring one in my opinion. It will allow me to cook a good breakfast or dinner per day at least and I plan on grabbing lunch on the road from supermarkets/cafes/etc.

I've lived in my tent for weeks at a time in various countries in Europe, North America and South America, it takes me about 5 minutes to pitch and 10 to tear down and pack. It's an extremely good quality tend and weights 2kg packed so I don't really mind bring the slight extra weight. There is no way in hell I'm sleeping wild, insects fecking love my blood.
    The only place condensation is ever an issue is under the fly cover, and that only takes about 10 minutes to dry off if you take it off and hang it somewhere.

As for the camp stove, I play on cooking most of my meals myself and camping wild as much as possible, so it's not an option to not bring one in my opinion. It will allow me to cook a good breakfast or dinner per day at least and I plan on grabbing lunch on the road from supermarkets/cafes/etc.

Interesting that you have a very different viewpoint to myself :)

Ill be starting a 3,200km tour in the next two months and neither of us will be bringing a tent as we have had so many bad experiences with them.

With the 2010 trip from cherbourg to Barcelona only one of us brought a tent, and that was regretted as we soon found it to be unnecessary and that it was a lot fo hassle for the reasons I mentioned. Both of us ended up sleeping rough, and doing so was preferred over sleeping in a tent.

But I would say 2kg is a significant weight extra, particularly if covering the pyrenees or the Alps.

I guess it really depends on what type of tour is being done. If 'wild camping' is preferred, then perhaps a tent and stove are required. If touring through villages and towns then food is more readily available, and the hassle and weight of hauling a stove, pots and cannisters around is not necessary.

I should also point out that the camp stove im bringing is 92grams in weight (plus the gas obviously), so that adds pretty much nothing to my kit weight wise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

:)
    Any chance of leaving it at that lads? Seems to be going in circles now. Different opinions......fine. Points taken.
    :)

So anyway, back to my check list!

What are the "must haves" on a 20 odd day camping trip? Minus the camp equipment.

I was thinking
    4 pairs bib shorts,
    4 cycling tops,
    leg warmers and arm warmers,
    2 pairs "normal" shorts (like 3/4 lenght things) for wearing off the bike,
    1 pair of pants, spd touring shoes, flipflops/other for off the bike,
    A hoody or sweater,
    2 or 3 "normal" t-shirts,
    4 pairs of jocks,
    64pairs of socks,
    mitts,
    an ultralite rain coat for in the saddle bag and a "bigger" pack away rain coat in the panniers,
    Soft shell jacket
    Compression under vest
    Head Lamp
    Maps
    Compass
    3 water bottles for in the cages
    a decent lock with an extension cable (like a kryptonite new york mini with the cable or something?)
    Phone Charger
    Toothbrush + tooth paste
    Bottle of body wash
    Micro fibre towel

What am I forgetting?

Also, lads, panniers, which ones? I want a decent set but don't want to spend a fortune!

• Advertisement

What are the "must haves" on a 20 odd day camping trip? Minus the camp equipment.

I was thinking
    4 pairs bib shorts,
    4 cycling tops,
    A hoody or sweater,
    4 pairs of jocks,
    64pairs of socks,
    mitts,
    an ultralite rain coat for in the saddle bag and a "bigger" pack away rain coat in the panniers,
    Soft shell jacket
    Compression under vest
    Head Lamp
    Maps
    Compass
    a decent lock with an extension cable (like a kryptonite new york mini with the cable or something?)
    Phone Charger
    Toothbrush + tooth paste
    Bottle of body wash
    Micro fibre towel

What am I forgetting?

Also, lads, panniers, which ones? I want a decent set but don't want to spend a fortune!
    Don't want to be telling the priest his prayers seaneh but are you not packing to many cloths..:eek:

Don't want to be telling the priest his prayers seaneh but are you not packing to many cloths..:eek:

No, all advice welcome, seriously, feel free to quote the list and made amendments as you see fit, and bold them so they satnd out and I can see them :P

I'm serious by the way, I have no Idea what I'll be needing!

I'd also say too many cloth, you will anyhow need to wash some of the cycling gear on your trip 64 pairs of socks seems a bit over the top ;-)

cycling gloves might be good

I have a pair of Altura Fuse panniers, they are waterproof and i'm happy with the build quality, but they are not very big (i think 32 litres)
    I bought them at the lbs for 130€
    Also used Ortlieb Bike Packer Bags for a Tour I'd say not much difference in the quality but they were a bit bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Multi tool, spare chain links, zefa long pump, air cannister?, spare tube(s) and repair kit. A front and rear light in case you're delayed.

I'd only take one jacket. I'd also just take two cycling shorts and jerseys and wash one set each night, they dry quickly.

One pair of shorts would be fine or two and leave the trousers. Wouldn't bother with a sweater if you have a light rain jacket. Maybe a L/S base layer. Why a compression vest ?Regarding a lock - I'd go for a light one that acts as a deterrent to an opportunist rather than heavy security. In most cases you can keep an eye on your stuff. Lugging a heavy lock around is a PITA. Its a calculated risk I suppose.

GPS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I was thinking
    4 pairs bib shorts,
    4 cycling tops,
    A hoody or sweater,
    4 pairs of jocks,
    64pairs of socks,
    mitts,
    Soft shell jacket
    Compression under vest
    Head Lamp
    Maps
    Compass
    Phone Charger
    Toothbrush + tooth paste
    Bottle of body wash
    Micro fibre towel

What am I forgetting?

For the craic here's what I think I'd have, this is off the top of my head and cross referencing your list so I'll probably edit later

1 CX bike with road tyres, flat bars and V-brakes
    2 decent 20l waterproof panniers
    1 decent pannier rack to put them on
    2 bungee cords to hold the tent in the middle (and dry yesterday's cycling clothes)
    2 sets of cycling clothes (bib shorts, short sleeve jersey, sox)
    1 cycling cap, cycling gloves
    1 pair of sunnies
    1 helmet
    1 multitool, 2 tyre levers, 2 tubes, 1 chain-breaker, 1 quik-link, 2 rear wheel spokes (drive side, non drive side)
    1 pair of spd shoes

1 set of non cycling clothes (lightweight trousers, jox, long sleeve t-shirt/thermal, sox)
    1 pair of shorts
    1 long sleeve cycling jersey
    flip flops
    1 rain jacket
    tent, sleep bag, blow up mat, headtorch, stove, pot, cup
    2 bike bottles
    sun cream, nuerofen, antiseptic wipes, plasters, toothbrush, bar of soap, microfibre towel.

bar of soap lasts longer and is lighter than showergel
    Large scale map - hopefully you can pick local tourist maps of the various areas you cycle through

I think the rule of thumb is 1 bicycle tube per 1000km.

Also a bicycle stand is very useful with the panniers and luggage if not fitted to your bike already.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ciaran OHara

Have this planned for September.

Advice.

No, all advice welcome, seriously, feel free to quote the list and made amendments as you see fit, and bold them so they satnd out and I can see them :P

I'm serious by the way, I have no Idea what I'll be needing!

http://www.pitlock.com/
    .....both wheels, and saddle. I have my front wheel done and have just ordered the rear axel. Have a seatpost lock but ordered the special seatpost clamp which is required. (Parallel)

Just need a small U lock then, no need to lock wheels. It's a great system and well worth the money, initial outlay.
    Register your code with the Germans and game over.

Consider the cost of your bike versus a good locking mechanism.

Taking in the Ras on Wicklow Gap on the way.
    I didn't enjoy crawling (about 4+mph at places) up Wicklow Gap on a tourer but hey........
    WP_000095_zps140af813.jpg
    WP_000097_zps4001f9ce.jpg
    DSCN0089_zps272e0c7e.jpg

Spot the Caterpillar??
    DSCN0090_zpsfff8bcfc.jpg

88 miles AV 12.7mph

• Advertisement

those empty shells look like they could pack a punch:eek:
    how was sleeping in the woods did you get any night visitors :D.
    great pics.

Advertisement