Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle touring

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just the usual suspects. Deer, fox, rabbits. Heard a cuckoo which was nice.
    Not hot on my nature but there was some, reckon bird, behind me during the night giving high pitched screams ala Blair Witch Project. Just held Teddy tighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

:D:D sounds great would it be ok to light a small fire there;)

Doubt it, not in the middle of a forest!

yeah kinda thought that but the the guys over on outdoor persuits do it all the time .

Friday morning, from work up to a lake I know in Monaghan, not far from Carrickmacross. Up the N2 mostly till after Collon and then inland. That is some draggy road from and including Slane to Collon.
    DSCN0305_zps0ec6ba15.jpg
    Back this morning through Drumconrath and back roads to Navan, very pleasant countryside. Down the R147 to Dublin. Bit of a tailwind at times :)
    DSCN0308_zps866251fe.jpg
    DSCN0312_zpsac518fc4.jpg
    DSCN0311_zpsfd5848c9.jpg

Damage:
    117 miles. AV 13.7mph.

• Advertisement

excellent i would have met up with you if i had known your route ah well maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

those empty shells look like they could pack a punch:eek:
    how was sleeping in the woods did you get any night visitors :D.

5.56 Blanks, ends are crimped, probably the scene of many a military exercise you're lucky you weren't reconnoitered in the middle of the night.

Nice Surly BTW.

Was outside the perimeter fence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Planet X wrote: »
    Friday morning, from work up to a lake I know in Monaghan, not far from Carrickmacross. Up the N2 mostly till after Collon and then inland. That is some draggy road from and including Slane to Collon.
    DSCN0305_zps0ec6ba15.jpg
    Back this morning through Drumconrath and back roads to Navan, very pleasant countryside. Down the R147 to Dublin. Bit of a tailwind at times :)
    DSCN0308_zps866251fe.jpg
    DSCN0312_zpsac518fc4.jpg
    DSCN0311_zpsfd5848c9.jpg

Damage:
    117 miles. AV 13.7mph.

Have you got a coffee cup slung under your frame? That is quality...

God would love to do a bit of touring.

Also; what kind of pedals are you using? Flats?

Not a coffee cup but full of home made Flapjacks. :pac::pac:
    Pedals: Shimano double sided SPD's
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-xt-spd-trekking-t780-mtb-pedals/rp-prod67250?DPSLogout=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

In my 7th week on the road. 5 weeks in France and 2 in England. Trying to make my way to Holyhead . In a town near Northampton at the minute and not enjoying it at all. Roads too busy and traffic too fast. Almost tempted to take train.
    Anybody got any suggestions for a route from here. North of Wolverhampton or south ? Bought an AA detailed road map today but it appears to be difficult to find minor roads to any destination.
    Getting fed up at this stage. I know people have done west coast to east in 2 days but at this rate twill take me 6 days.

dewindygap wrote: »
    In my 7th week on the road. 5 weeks in France and 2 in England. Trying to make my way to Holyhead . In a town near Northampton at the minute and not enjoying it at all. Roads too busy and traffic too fast. Almost tempted to take train.
    Anybody got any suggestions for a route from here. North of Wolverhampton or south ? Bought an AA detailed road map today but it appears to be difficult to find minor roads to any destination.
    Getting fed up at this stage. I know people have done west coast to east in 2 days but at this rate twill take me 6 days.

oh no that sounds crap, did ou ask on CTC by any chance or even the thorn forum youmight get help from those lads, sorry i cant help.

say planetx can i ask where exactly is that camp spot.

Longitude: -6.716667
    Latitude: 53.90583
    :)
    Hey......don't shoot me but they are the co-ordinates.....

About 6/7 miles North of Drumconrath.........roughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ah, near Carricknagoan, the site of the terrifying Meath Goan monster attack of 1878, tis well I remember the day…

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

dewindygap wrote: »

Head across to Nantwich and then up to Chester. Did this route last year on a Sunday And traffic was not too bad.

About 6/7 miles North of Drumconrath.........roughly.

hah thats a start i suppose thanks.:D:D

we the touring community on boards should seriously think of starting a touring club.any ideas anyone.;)

we the touring community on boards should seriously think of starting a touring club.any ideas anyone.;)

Well, back in the day (creeeakk) the Cyclists' Touring Club used to meet at a particular spot in Dublin every Sunday morning and go on a typically 30-mile run, stopping for a drum-up (Primuses roaring under kettles, sandwiches broken out) around 1pm somewhere gorgeous and scenic, and rolling back into the city in the afternoon, tired but happy and energised.

sounds great imagine that going out for a cycle without coming home in a bag from trying to stay with wanna be racers.:eek:
    these days i ride solo i enjoy loading up my carradice barley saddlebag stopping whenever i fancy a brew maybe even camping overnight or even heading off for a couple days. but to be honest i like company as well especally on a tour.
    i'm a member of the fellclub in the UK, only been over the once for a meet (out of work) so can really afford the cost of travelling to the uk.but the fellclub set up is great,they have meets all year round basically a few light minded cycle tourers getting together in a certain campsite spend a few days having the craic and heading home.
    as far as i know theres nothing like this in ireland so is it a dead duck or would it be worth giving it a go.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Well, back in the day (creeeakk) the Cyclists' Touring Club used to meet at a particular spot in Dublin every Sunday morning and go on a typically 30-mile run, stopping for a drum-up (Primuses roaring under kettles, sandwiches broken out) around 1pm somewhere gorgeous and scenic, and rolling back into the city in the afternoon, tired but happy and energised.

I had my first long-distance experience with the CTC many years ago (back in the 20th Century...). At the age of 14, I had just built my first road bike. I got a frameset for free from one Con Collins of CTC (who used to work with my dad), headed into the Rutland cycle shop on North Fredrick's Street and spent 64 pounds on components (including a Brooks saddle).

I built the bike up at home and set off for an Easter weekend tour in Galway. I'll never forget cycling out from Galway to Recess in the wind and rain, hanging off the back.

A brilliant few days in the Connemara mountains, tea made on bike-mountable primus stoves and no rush...

073stprimusstovebl.jpg
    1362524117-primus6134.jpg

CLASS
    if yu haven't seen this video one of my favourates.its worth watching he using that type of stove as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dahGaL6ehjc&list=UU72nZ26ikgDQVdt90ENBmXg&index=29

My first or second run with the CTC was Con Collins' 70th - or was it 72nd? - birthday, and at the drum-up a cake *covered* with candles was produced. I think it might even have had the whole 70/2! Then they took them off, cracking up, and left seven, which Con blew out.
    He was leading the run, which I think was to Slane.
    The previous or next run I went on was the Liffey Descent, which they did every year - starting at 7am, straight up to the Sally Gap, then following the course of the river meandering back through Kildare and finally staggering in having done something like 95 miles. Con was leading that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Thanks for that Alex.
    I gotta admit defeat. Headed for Milton Keynes and got the train to Holyhead. Not long in the door and do not regret for one minute 'cheating'.
    At least I got home in one piece.

i would have said thats what you call using the head;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cyclic

Cycled Dublin along the N81 road from Dublin to Blessington <Is this the most dangerous road in Ireland? (Steep to B'glass, 100kph traffic/ every 3rd vehicle a truck or bigger/ always into a westerly wind)> on to Tullow and then to Graignemanaugh. Onto the Barrow Way (camped and drank). Barrow way the next day to Athy and then over secondary roads back to Dublin. 280 kms spread over the 2 days (going is slow on the towpaths). Didn't spot another cyclist along the Barrow way at all. Story? Reckon we take all our beauty spots for granted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They still meet up once a month anyway, usually either from the Phoenix park or from the Yellow House in Rathfarnham, as I found out when one of them seen my Audax Jersey up at the viewing point. Nice group, very relaxed, as far as I was told, once you meet the requirements you can tag along no questions asked (requirements being, be nice and be relaxed).

CramCycle wrote: »
    They still meet up once a month anyway, usually either from the Phoenix park or from the Yellow House in Rathfarnham, as I found out when one of them seen my Audax Jersey up at the viewing point. Nice group, very relaxed, as far as I was told, once you meet the requirements you can tag along no questions asked (requirements being, be nice and be relaxed).
    i made enquiries last year about ctc in the republic i was told there was only a section up north.i visit the ctc forum every day never a word about the irsh end of things.:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i made enquiries last year about ctc in the republic i was told there was only a section up north.i visit the ctc forum every day never a word about the irsh end of things.:confused:

I don't know what to say, they called themselves CTC (I hope I have it right and iI just have it confused) wish i could remember the lead guys name, he used to ride with alot of the Audax crowd (which fits in with the CTC end of things). I asked about info and stuff and they just said turn up at 10am on the Sunday at either place (rotates every month) and ride with them. I got the impression there was no site, e-mail or anything else like that.

• Advertisement

ah well i suppose its just another sunday morn group which to be honest doesn't intrest me in the slightest,don't mean to sound like a prick i'm not honest :p but i dont like big group cycling done it for years same old same old.'this is what i like about TOURING and the fellclub set up in the UK .

Advertisement