Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle touring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Feck _ Do you camp, use hostels or bb when you tour in Ireland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

"Stony Grey Soil" in Monaghan is true last weekend.
    Struggled to get the tent pegs in!
    That's what it's about.......

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gallybander

love this thread, this is what cycling is all about for me...enjoying the journey, taking in the views. Two weeks ago three of us cycled the Coast of kerry, starting in Ardgroom,Co. Cork and finishing outside tarbert in Co. Limerick. It took us two and a half days and we stayed in hostels, the distance covered was 396 kilometers, we packed really light and ate in garages etc., really enjoyed it and plan to do something equally exciting next year. Think a touring club is an ace idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Feck _ Do you camp, use hostels or bb when you tour in Ireland?

camp mostly,i stayed in a hostal in doolin very nice hostal but not my scene to many young dudes:D:D cant afford bb i'm unemployed.

i'm by no means an experience cycle tourer only took it up about 7 years ago getting on a bit now , roadie stuff to fast and furious for me.
    but yeah camping is best i think done a few sites up north which is expensive £15 a night:eek: mullingar is nice 7 euro and a lovely campsite, virgina i havent tried yet, slane is my closest campsite but just to close to me only 9 miles i liked to be knackered getting into my tent a pint and a sleeping pill does it for me;)

love this thread, this is what cycling is all about for me...enjoying the journey, taking in the views. Two weeks ago three of us cycled the Coast of kerry, starting in Ardgroom,Co. Cork and finishing outside tarbert in Co. Limerick. It took us two and a half days and we stayed in hostels, the distance covered was 396 kilometers, we packed really light and ate in garages etc., really enjoyed it and plan to do something equally exciting next year. Think a touring club is an ace idea.
    was there last year gods own country for cycle touring.
    do me a favour if your into touring check out www.fellclub.org.uk check out the ride reports and see what you think,to my mind its what cycling is all about.my ride report on my disasterous france tour is on there :D:D

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    "Stony Grey Soil" in Monaghan is true last weekend.
    Struggled to get the tent pegs in!
    That's what it's about.......

planet x can you share some of your tour or overnighters you seem to have this touring lark down to a fine art.
    btw i meant to say, do you always travel that fast last jaunt in my part of the world 13.5mph i 'm just a mile per hour behind you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gallybander

good report feck sake lads, it would be great to have something like that fell club here.

On the way up to Monaghan I had an "Over the left shoulder" breeze. Not too beneficial but hey....
    On the way back, over the last 20 miles or so, a "Tailer" into Dublin
    Carrying about 9kg. On a 16kg.+ bike I didn't mind too much.

good report feck sake lads, it would be great to have something like that fell club here.

yeah i think so too simple but it works.;)

Planet X wrote: »
    On the way up to Monaghan I had an "Over the left shoulder" breeze. Not too beneficial but hey....
    On the way back, over the last 20 miles or so, a "Tailer" into Dublin
    Carrying about 9kg. On a 16kg.+ bike I didn't mind too much.
    when i seen the speed i was thinking jasus this guy is motoring and he's on a loaded touring bike:eek: .

• Advertisement

Bread n Jam honestly........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Nice report on the French tour, Feck's - poor Dermot! I hope he's recovered well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Heading off next week to Oporto and flying back from Biarritz 10 days later. Doing more or less an "anti pilgrimage" along the Camino route in the opposite direction. Sticking to the roads as opposed to the path as we are on road bikes. I am taking a Carradice saddle bag with a Topeak bar bag I bought 2nd hand from Cram Cycle I think.
    Hoping to stay in Hostals which are like a 1 or 2 star hotel but usually cheap. Its about 1000Km going through Santiago so about 100km per day average.

I will let you all know how we get on.

Nice report on the French tour, Feck's - poor Dermot! I hope he's recovered well.

Thanks yeah poor dermot he got a terrible fall, just shows you dont have to be going at break neck speed to do a lot of damage:eek:
    i just this minute got my quartly mag Trek N tent give reports on the meets the fellclub lads attend nice wee magazine.
    if you noticed the french guy in the photo he was here with me in july super strong cyclist nice guy i have an open invite to his house in britiany,the joys of cycle touring.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Just wanted to share this article, one of my faves:
    http://tomsbiketrip.com/how-to-camp-anywhere-and-not-get-busted/

Dagon wrote: »
    i was meant to buy his book and video but the ould funds are low. i'm friends with him on facebook seems like a nice lad.
    actually there a lad here in drogheda that cycled the world last year i went for a spin with him few months ago ,man he has some stories to tell.
    his next adventure is france spain and on to africa these guys never settle down or so it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Dagon wrote: »

But but, how do you keep the ants out of the tent?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks yeah poor dermot he got a terrible fall, just shows you dont have to be going at break neck speed to do a lot of damage:eek:
    i just this minute got my quartly mag Trek N tent give reports on the meets the fellclub lads attend nice wee magazine.
    if you noticed the french guy in the photo he was here with me in july super strong cyclist nice guy i have an open invite to his house in britiany,the joys of cycle touring.:D

*Always* find that I'll take a tumble if I'm tired - slows your reactions right down.

The South wind is blowing.
    I fancy an overnighter up in Wicklow very soon.
    I know a few wild camping spots.
    Anyone fancy heading up?
    Meet anywhere central Dublin or Southside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

cdaly_ wrote: »
    But but, how do you keep the ants out of the tent?...

If you think there's ants near the tent, spread some baking soda on the ground in front of it. They won't walk through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭shamalam

Anyone have camping gear they are looking to sell.
    Heading to roscoff down to bordeaux on eurovelo route.

looking for lightweight tent,thermarest and stove.

Otherwise any recommendations for buying new.

Was looking at coleman 2 man or gelert solo.

What thermarest and stove.

many thanks s.

I bought the exped synmatt great bit of kit got it at a good price from a friend in the uk, he is selling a thermarest matt if your interested i#ll ask him how much.your gonna need a good tent for france one thats completly waterproof, me and another guy went through 3 days of monsoon rain, jesus i never seen the like of it thank god i had a great tent at the time.
    if you get a good nights sleep your half way there so good tent good sleeping system.
    check these guys out.
    http://www.bretonbikes.com/

Ah forgot to say i got my new bike frame today that should see my touring needs out no problem giving all my gear is super lightweight.it's A Thorn Audax 853 hand made in the uk cracking frameset i will try and post photos when i get it built up.
    happy days are here again.

fsl

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭shamalam

thanks for reply,

will probably buy gear new as their seems to nothing seond hand available.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

shamalam wrote: »
    Anyone have camping gear they are looking to sell.
    Heading to roscoff down to bordeaux on eurovelo route.

looking for lightweight tent,thermarest and stove.

Otherwise any recommendations for buying new.

Was looking at coleman 2 man or gelert solo.

What thermarest and stove.

many thanks s.

I bought a Therm A Rest Neo Air Camper and I would not want to sleep on a thinner or less comfy mattress any more.

Sucks a bit to blow it up every time but as soon as you lay down you know it was worth it

Blessington / Hollywood / Wicklow Gap / Laragh / Home.
    DSCN0556_zps14167bfe.jpgDSCN0571_zpsb85d2129.jpg
    DSCN0561_zpscafd732c.jpg
    DSCN0565_zps19c6b9d3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

@Planet X

Is that a long haul trucker with leather bar tape.
    When /where did you go ?
    Thinking of doing an overnight myself in Wicklow.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Off to Spain on Monday.

550km and 7000m of climbing, mixed on- and off-road from Avila to Santiago de Compostella (roughly Camino de Levante + Soureste). Normally I would consider it a 2 day audax-style challenge, but this time I'm taking my 1,5y old son in a trailer - 65kg overall cargo with the bike, nappies, food, water and everything! :-D

We are going to do it slowly this time - three weeks is the plan, 30km daily.

njburke wrote: »
    @Planet X

Is that a long haul trucker with leather bar tape.
    When /where did you go ?
    Thinking of doing an overnight myself in Wicklow.

Niall

Disc Trucker. Plastic bar tape. Friday/ Saturday. Wicklow Gap.

• Advertisement

Really want to pop a tent up on Kippure and get a few "Dawn" pics.
    But crashing down that road with panniers and a heavy bike.......could burn out brake pads pronto!

Advertisement