Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle touring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

I'd love to do a bit of touring myself but the thought of attaching racks to a road bike doesn't really appeal. What about a rucksack similar to this with a change of clothes, essentials and not weighing a huge amount? Would your back be wrecked or is it doable to go on a brief tour 4-5 days, staying in hostels or B&Bs and limiting the cycling to 100k per day. Has anyone on here done something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Just back from my 5 day coastal tour from Wexford town to Kinsale. Great trip and great weather. It seemed like i was in Spain at times, the weather was that good. Planning on my next one already, Kinsale to Kilarny via the coast.

were you camping all the way or did you go the credit card route.
    how many miles in total did you do oh yeah did you take a camera like to see some pic's.;)

setanta159 wrote: »
    I'd love to do a bit of touring myself but the thought of attaching racks to a road bike doesn't really appeal. What about a rucksack similar to this with a change of clothes, essentials and not weighing a huge amount? Would your back be wrecked or is it doable to go on a brief tour 4-5 days, staying in hostels or B&Bs and limiting the cycling to 100k per day. Has anyone on here done something similar?

bad idea honest,take a look at the carradice range of saddle bags great bags 100% waterproof just in case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Chazziemann

Oh ya camped out every night. First day i traveled from Wexford to Tramore, which was about 60km. Camped in a camp site, cooked some sausages made some tea. I even shared the site with two Ladies from Holland!!. The next morning i took the Copper Coast all the way too Ardmore. Stopping off at Dungarvan for lunch and supplies. Distance was about 60km. Also came across a fellow traveler from Sweden, touring Ireland over 4 weeks. Camp Site was on beach this night. Passed through Youghal and took the coast road towards Cobh. Got lost, ended up putting another 20km on my day, 80km approx. Had to stay at a camp site in Carrigtohill, nice. Next morning, cycled over the great island and took the ferry . Headed for kinsale passing through Carrigaline, 50km approx. Stayed at a camp site out side kinsale, Garreth s strand. Cycled to cork (30km) the next day and got bus back to wexford!!. In total it took 200km+ in the hottest days of the year!!! ha

As for pics, it will have to wait till tomorrow.

sounds like you had a great tour ,you sure did get the best of the weather ,
    thanks for the report always nice to hear how people got on touring .;)
    look forward to the pic's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

+1 always good to hear about such rides. Getting the gf into biking with the promise of romantic tours (no one mention the words gradient, head wind or saddle sores) so its always good to hear how people are getting on. I'd love a sub forum with planning, gear and trip blog but dont think enough posters are into touring. Looking forward to seeing the pic's

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Camp Site was on beach this night.

Did you have any trouble from locals or the Guards camping on the beach or were you in a quiet location?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

cdaly_ wrote: »
    With that rack you'd want to make sure your panniers have a properly stiff back. Otherwise they'll tend to get pushed into the spokes.

For a long tour it might be worth considering a set of clip-on aero bars. Gives you something to rest on for when the arms get tired any you can tie your handlebar bag on there...

I would not advise getting aero bars for a one off trip, I thought like that and found out-the hard way, that it's not a good idea. I was doing 360k in 24hrs and wanted another hand position to ease the boredom. Since I was not used to the position of being slightly more forward, it caused some kenee pain about 95 miles in and I had to pop a few Ibuprofen to kill the pain, didn't really enjoy the next 140 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I was doing 360k in 24hrs

What for? A fleche/arrow?

+1 always good to hear about such rides. Getting the gf into biking with the promise of romantic tours (no one mention the words gradient, head wind or saddle sores) so its always good to hear how people are getting on. I'd love a sub forum with planning, gear and trip blog but dont think enough posters are into touring. Looking forward to seeing the pic's
    emm good idea i reckon there's a lot more tourers than you think at least enough to keep a sub forum busy;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

rottenhat wrote: »
    What for? A fleche/arrow?

Yeah, it was a Fleche over here in the Northeeast, we did it early in the season, it nearly ruined my racing that year, I would like to do another one, but would leave it until racing season is over this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 landel

Have pondered the touring thing myself for some time. Decided to bite the bullet this summer. Have tent, racks, panniers etc now. Still getting some bits n bobs together but will head out for a trip in July to try it all out.

Pizarro wrote: »
    Did you have any trouble from locals or the Guards camping on the beach or were you in a quiet location?

Had no problems with any body that night. I was camped on a walking route and had some passer byes, one man stopped for a chat and moved on. Just up 100 meters or so were three camper vans. They had no problems either.
    The way i look at it, if you don't cause hassle and leave no trace i cant see why not.

Tour De South Coast

landel wrote: »
    Have pondered the touring thing myself for some time. Decided to bite the bullet this summer. Have tent, racks, panniers etc now. Still getting some bits n bobs together but will head out for a trip in July to try it all out.

Just go for it, don't plan too much, when the weather is good go..... that's my motto

thank's for that chazziemann great pic's you got a great weather for your tour ,no were better than ireland when the weather is good;)
    anymore tour's planned for the the summer.

Thanks, Yes will be continuing my coastal tour... next stage will be around the west coast of Cork and Kerry, 4 or 5 days. Not sure when, will see what the weather is like when my wheels feel itchy!!

I also have a hiking trip in mind.... again not sure for dates.

Have you any plans to head soon??

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Looks like a great little trip! I will be touring around Ireland twice over the next few months, can't wait, hope the weather will be as good as you got!:p

Twice, on what a motor bike!! haha

Ya hope the weather stays good for our summer

How many km will you do per day??

it's been a while since I've seen kerry never seen the west coast of cork to be honest I'm ashamed to say i don't know my own country very well especially by bike.
    this july myself and a friend a heading to england for 6 days camping at the watlington vintage cycle rally, i was invited by the fellclub im the only irish member which is a total mystery to me as it's a great club strict enough on the rules but all for the good of the cycle tourist/ backpacker/ canoeist.and it only cost a fiver a year .ok plug over.;)
    i will do a bit of touring this year in ireland all i need is the money as like everyone else i'm out of work so funds a low at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Twice, on what a motor bike!! haha

Ya hope the weather stays good for our summer

How many km will you do per day??

First route I'm doing is a loop starting in Dublin and taking in Kilkenny, Waterford and Wexford, should take 6 days at about 80km a day.

The other is Dublin to somewhere in Clare but thats with three lads who don't cycle much so i presume we won't be covering too many Km's each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

There's a cycling/ camping concept called S24O, standing for Sub 24hour Overnight. There's some more information on the idea at http://www.s24o.com/

Rivendell have two short articles at:

http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_camping/camping_vs_touring

and

http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_camping/a_kit_for_one_night_out

DFD.

Some more pics...

West cork is supposed to have a great coast line. The beara peninsula cork is lovely i heard...

never seen the west coast of cork to be honest I'm ashamed to say i don't know my own country very well especially by bike..

Post up (or pm) if you want a hand putting a west cork/ Kerry route together, I know the roads there and if I dont there are plenty of WC posters who do as well as a load from kerry. My advice is skip kerry, there are so many must visit eateries and pubs in WC you'll never fit it in:p

keenan110 wrote: »
    First route I'm doing is a loop starting in Dublin and taking in Kilkenny, Waterford and Wexford, should take 6 days at about 80km a day.

The other is Dublin to somewhere in Clare but thats with three lads who don't cycle much so i presume we won't be covering too many Km's each day.

Nice.... probably better off cutting down on km and taking in more off the trip.... well that's my plan....

......ITS NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY THAT COUNTS......

Hi Chazzie, just wondering what the story with your bike is, I really like it, is it a touring bike or an mtb you have added to? I can see its a kona but cant figure out wich model....

Post up (or pm) if you want a hand putting a west cork/ Kerry route together, I know the roads there and if I dont there are plenty of WC posters who do as well as a load from kerry. My advice is skip kerry, there are so many must visit eateries and pubs in WC you'll never fit it in:p
    this is were i fall down planning routes so any help i can get is fantastic;)
    i could ride 50 mile a day no problem so campsites are a must along any route can't afford b/b ,
    i live on the northeast coast so your end of the country is strange ground to me and if you could give me a good route around your part of the country that would be brilliant.;)

Hi, I was researching what type of bike is good for touring etc... but it seemed that you needed to spend a lot of money, (1000+). I had read that a tour bike should be made of steel, have a long wheel base and a long stay chain. These seemed to be the most important.

So i searched and searched and searched.... and came across the Kona Smoke on sale in the UK. I compared it to the Kona Sultra (1300euro) and the Surely LHT (1300euro).

The Kona smoke is made of Chromoly butted steel, (same steel as the LHT) has a wheel base and chain stay almost same as the Sutra. The only thing it that the gears brakes etc were of low standard.

So i decided that it was a good buy.

I bought myself the Super C panniers and the tubus cosmo rack.

Its a treat to cycle...

Commuting Bicycle turned tourer

thebouldwhacker have you a touring Bike??

I have a bullet proof trek 4300 which I'm gonna flip, change the nobbly tyres put on rear panniers and do a few short trips, hoping to hit Wales next few months. My gf is new to long cycles so no need to invest in more expencive gear yet. The trek gearing is perfect for lugging around all the gear on, I promised her that she wouldnt be loaded for the first few trips.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a plan, go for it....

Advertisement