Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle touring

Options

Comments

I have a bullet proof trek 4300 which I'm gonna flip, change the nobbly tyres put on rear panniers and do a few short trips, hoping to hit Wales next few months. My gf is new to long cycles so no need to invest in more expencive gear yet. The trek gearing is perfect for lugging around all the gear on, I promised her that she wouldnt be loaded for the first few trips.

Yeah good old Wales, I'll be doing a small bit of touring there at the end of July hopefully. Plan is get the train to Rosslare, boat to Fishguard, cycling to Holyhead (going the scenic route) and then get the boat back from Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

The Kona smoke is made of Chromoly butted steel, (same steel as the LHT) has a wheel base and chain stay almost same as the Sutra. The only thing it that the gears brakes etc were of low standard.

So i decided that it was a good buy.

I bought myself the Super C panniers and the tubus cosmo rack.

Its a treat to cycle...

Commuting Bicycle turned tourer

thebouldwhacker have you a touring Bike??
    I agree, the Kona Smoke makes a good, cheap and tough touring bike.

I have a 2004 (?) model, upgraded with a Brooks B67, Schwalbe Marathon + tyres and a Blackburn rack. Never had a problem with the gears although they are a lower spec they have a good low range for the hills. Changed the brake pads to Koolstops and find them fine now.

Never missed a beat on a 400km tour of the north coast of Spain a few years back, I now use it for spins on gravel tracks and back roads. A bit heavy but very comfy and a smooth ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Chazziemann

FergusF

Id say that was a nice trip??.... Was looking at getting myself one of the saddles, have read good reviews about them. Any tours planed for this year??/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Dónal wrote: »
    Yeah good old Wales, I'll be doing a small bit of touring there at the end of July hopefully. Plan is get the train to Rosslare, boat to Fishguard, cycling to Holyhead (going the scenic route) and then get the boat back from Holyhead.

You might want to doublecheck that you can actually bring a bike on the train to Rosslare - certainly a couple of years ago you couldn't as it's not an intercity service, just one of those glorified commuter trains. Wales is great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

FergusF

Id say that was a nice trip??.... Was looking at getting myself one of the saddles, have read good reviews about them. Any tours planed for this year??/
    Yes, a great trip alright, until I ran into some serious storms near Santander, chickened out and took the bus the last 150km or so to Gijón.

I finally finished the whole Camino, last September cycled the last 400km but on a different bike.

Later this year I'm planning a (hilly!) 200km trip from Gijon to Palencia. Also thinking of exploring the Main Radweg (http://www.mainradweg.com/) in southern Germany, if I can convince some friends to join me.

I'd definitely recommend the Brooks B67 or Champion Flyer, very comfy especially on rougher surfaces, the springs really help smooth out the bumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dónal wrote: »

I would be interested in arranging something similar for a trip away. Any further info on your plannin gfor this let me know i.e would you be planning to stay overnight etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ridertothesea_

Great thread.

I've done the USA coast to coast www.cyclingusa.blogspot.com on a Trek 520. Also Cherbourg-Paris. I also have an idea festering in my head of cycling to Iran - you can get a non stop train back from Tehran to Istanbul. Will be scrapping off the 'handbuilt in the USA' sticker for that one.

No where compares to West Cork. Skib-Ballydehop-Bantry-CTB-Allihies-Eyeries-Healypass is the best road I have ever travelled by any means.

Short term am thinking of cycling the grand canal from my appartment at the grand canal dock across to the Shannon. Has anyone done this? Is there a continuous path?

Happy travels

Ridertothesea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Great thread.

I've done the USA coast to coast www.cyclingusa.blogspot.com on a Trek 520. Also Cherbourg-Paris. I also have an idea festering in my head of cycling to Iran - you can get a non stop train back from Tehran to Istanbul. Will be scrapping off the 'handbuilt in the USA' sticker for that one.

No where compares to West Cork. Skib-Ballydehop-Bantry-CTB-Allihies-Eyeries-Healypass is the best road I have ever travelled by any means.

Short term am thinking of cycling the grand canal from my appartment at the grand canal dock across to the Shannon. Has anyone done this? Is there a continuous path?

Happy travels.

Wow you sure get around brilliant stuff so how was your us tour would you recommend it .
    Theres a book on the cycling the canals of Ireland by john Dunne it called towpath tours might be worth having a look . did you write up your tour on crazyguyonabike like to read that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 1 or 2 man tent? I'm looking at the Eurohike Backpacker in Millets (it was mentioned by a friend who used to work there as being pretty good) I'm looking for something light so I can carry it on my bike and possibly with a bit of a porch so I can stow my panniers in the night.

what kind of money are you willing to spend,i have the hilleberg akto it's a great tent but expensive the way i reckoned if im caught out in a storm i want a tent that could survive it and keep me nice and comfy ,so the akto ticked all the boxes my next tent will be the nallo by hilleberg .;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Pizarro wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 1 or 2 man tent? I'm looking at the Eurohike Backpacker in Millets (it was mentioned by a friend who used to work there as being pretty good) I'm looking for something light so I can carry it on my bike and possibly with a bit of a porch so I can stow my panniers in the night.

I have this Gelert tent which i bought in Millets, its a very good tent for the price and there is plenty of space to in the porch for panniers!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Budget? MSR Hubba was recommended to me recently. It's about €270 here, or online in the UK for c.£200.

msr_hubba.jpg

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/hubba/product.

It's definitely a one man tent. MSR have a good reputation too. It weighs about 1.3kg.

Thinking of getting one myself.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm trying to budget €50-75 for a tent. Millets seem to have a good range that I'll check out tomorrow if I have the time and the Auld Fella has a tent if I can't find anything I can afford.

rottenhat wrote: »
    You might want to doublecheck that you can actually bring a bike on the train to Rosslare - certainly a couple of years ago you couldn't as it's not an intercity service, just one of those glorified commuter trains. Wales is great though.

Just after coming back from cork to wexford with my bike on the bus. 12euro for the bike.... no problems just removed the peddles and handlebars and it fitted in at 45 degrees, no damage.

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm trying to budget €50-75 for a tent. Millets seem to have a good range that I'll check out tomorrow if I have the time and the Auld Fella has a tent if I can't find anything I can afford.

I have used a 20euro tent from argos for a while now. Cant remember the make. Its a orange one person. Hasn't let me down as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I agree with keenan, imho you cant beat gelert, their gear is at a suspiciously low price but any gear I have made by them always serves well and is pretty good quality. The only tent i have by them is a 4 man so no idea what weight a one man would come in at but I'll bet the price will be agreeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Have you done this before Dónal?

I've a week off soon so I was just mapping it out here in the opposite direction:

Day 1. Holyhead to Porthmadog 80km
    Day 2. Porthmadog to Aberstwyth 93km
    Day 3. Aberstwyth to Fishguard 92km

No idea about headwind though, would it be better to start at Holyhead or Fishguard?

Nope, never even been to Wales before. Reason we're heading that direction is really so that we can end and get the ferry back to Dublin on the last day, rather then having to get the train back up.

Haven't looked properly at the route but my initial plan would be to head east to the Brecon Beacons, and then wander back up towards Holyhead. Thinking of 4 days cycling time for this so just over 100km a day.

well done peetrik I'm amazed you got all your gear into that bag and carried it all on a road bike well done, did you wild camp all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Cheers, was trying to see how little I could take. Im fairly light >70kg and all my gear + tent & bag was under 10kg so I figured there are plenty of 80kg riders about on road bikes and that I should be ok.

Yeah camped wild on the first night and again on the way back, I asked a few locals and they said nobody would have any problem with me staying in any of the fields around.
    Stayed in a campsite in Galway.

Learned a lot but suspect Iv barely scratched the surface of what I need to learn if Im to try abroad :) Great fun all round tho

Peetrik wrote: »
    Cheers, was trying to see how little I could take. Im fairly light >70kg and all my gear + tent & bag was under 10kg so I figured there are plenty of 80kg riders about on road bikes and that I should be ok.

Yeah camped wild on the first night and again on the way back, I asked a few locals and they said nobody would have any problem with me staying in any of the fields around.
    Stayed in a campsite in Galway.

Learned a lot but suspect Iv barely scratched the surface of what I need to learn if Im to try abroad :) Great fun all round tho
    well done I'm off to the uk this week i can tell you i'm carrying a lot more than 10kg.i find cloths to be the big problem take up so much room and they weigh a bit, but better to be looking at them than looking for them ;)

Ah Im jealous :)

Got your route planned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Some more pics...

West cork is supposed to have a great coast line. The beara peninsula cork is lovely i heard...

Lol - even brought a mattress :D

Id love to do something like that, i wonder would it be tough going on a mountain bike?

Ah Im jealous :)

Got your route planned?

going to a vintage cycle rally in a place called watlington near enough in the middle of the uk basically in the sticks if we get the weather it should be a good tour,I'll be camping all the way not much of a cook but it has to be done:D
    i've just finished packing my panniers (rear only) there bloody stuffed sorry to say but i need it all ,my barbag is also stuffed amazing how much stuff a fella needs to survive a week's touring.:rolleyes:

Good luck! Hope you have fun

Good luck! Hope you have fun

thanks so do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

My hands were fine, I wear big winter padded gloves that look ridiculous but are soft and cushioned and exactly the job, arms and shoulders began to feel it by the end of the second day alright but I'm guessing thats just because I'm a beginner.

Sunscreen, Im really wishing I had invested in some sunscreen :)

Other than that I suppose a handlebar bag to spread the weight a little and an emergency phone charger.

Best of luck on your trip Scien!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads just curious, I'm using a Trek 7.1 FX, how suitable is this for holding panniers either front or back.

I might be mad but I'm thinking of giving touring a go, either just myself or with a friend of mine. Although the first time I went camping was the weekend and prior to that 1997 I'm also going to risk that to :)

It just seems like a challenge and a good experience for this summer.

Advertisement