Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acoustic Crack repair

• 26-04-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey all...

I have this beautiful acoustic guitar that unfortunatly musta gotten kicked by mistake or something.

Opened the case one day and there is a crack along the wood grain a few inches long. I'm gutted :(

Was looking here and yerman Derrick Nelson seems to be the dogs genitals when it comes to repairs.

Its not the most expensive guitar in the world, but it is an amazing sounding machine (twas a demo in the shop, they hadnt a clue of the price, kinda tricked them in givin it to be for half nothing...waltons btw...:rolleyes:)

I suppose my question is would it be worth getting this repaired at all? I doesnt affect the sound. But could it get worse!?? I have a feeling it would be pricey to repair.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

fincollins wrote: »
    Hey all...

I have this beautiful acoustic guitar that unfortunatly musta gotten kicked by mistake or something.

Opened the case one day and there is a crack along the wood grain a few inches long. I'm gutted :(

Was looking here and yerman Derrick Nelson seems to be the dogs genitals when it comes to repairs.

Its not the most expensive guitar in the world, but it is an amazing sounding machine (twas a demo in the shop, they hadnt a clue of the price, kinda tricked them in givin it to be for half nothing...waltons btw...:rolleyes:)

I suppose my question is would it be worth getting this repaired at all? I doesnt affect the sound. But could it get worse!?? I have a feeling it would be pricey to repair.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

What acoustic is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

I can never remember off hand what make it is...i have googled it before, and there wasnt any info on the brand anywhere...

I can check when I get home and tell you. I might also be able to take a picture of the it and post it up.

Tbh, i have no idea how much the repair would cost. It might even come to more than the guitar! But if the crack doesnt escalate as the years go on, then id nearly leave it as is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

If you give this guy a call(Paddy). He will be happy to asses/quote you a price for any repair work that needs doing. I've used him quite a bit and his work is excellent.

http://www.theloftmusicstudio.com/

Thanks nozebleed, i'll check em out! (that would be handy too cos its near work)

Dord, its a 'Himala' guitar...cant find any info online which is wierd! Yerman said it was a demo from the manufacturer to test see if it would sell. Amazing sounding guitar!

I've attached some pics...hopefully you can see what im talking about...its not that clear in the pics

I've never heard of the brand but from the appointments on the guitar it doesn't look like its worth an awful lot. I guess it's up to you but if I was in that position I probably wouldnt get it fixed. Repairs might cost as much as the instrument is worth.

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    I've never heard of the brand but from the appointments on the guitar it doesn't look like its worth an awful lot. I guess it's up to you but if I was in that position I probably wouldnt get it fixed. Repairs might cost as much as the instrument is worth.

Yeah I thought as much. It prob isnt worth a lot, but still sounds great.

I'll just have to mind it in the future :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

it's only a lacquer crack i'd say,probably caused by humidity

Yeah I thought as much. It prob isnt worth a lot, but still sounds great.

I'll just have to mind it in the future :o

I had a guitar I played for about 6 years that had a large crack in the side. It wasn't moving anywhere and still sounded good. It's unplayable now for other reasons though (sunken top & bowed neck).

punchdrunk wrote: »
    it's only a lacquer crack i'd say,probably caused by humidity

fraid not...the crack goes straight through unfortunatly!! guitar is really really light. ill prob just save the money on repair and buy a decent hardcase for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

fraid not...the crack goes straight through unfortunatly!! guitar is really really light. ill prob just save the money on repair and buy a decent hardcase for it

Derrick Nelson is the only man for this job, in my opinion. Got a small job done on my Guitar recently (Piazo pickup in a Big Baby Taylor). Not only did he do a fantastic job he was an absolute gentleman. I could not have asked for more help from both he and his wife. They hark back to a day when craftsmen and businesspeople can courteous, accommodating and brilliant to deal with whilst providing a top class service. whilst doing the job he found a small crack in the bridgeplate which he repaired for me after consulting me on it. Price wise I could not complain. It was a simple job but he was no dearer than many of his competitors. I needed the guitar on a tight timeframe, I had it with two days to spare (unlike my bandmate who also has a guitar currently receiving guitar medicine at another location).

Thanks to all my advisors on this board for pointing me in Derrick's direction. Fantastic shout!

• Advertisement
Advertisement