Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study week- how's yours going?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

So far I have two laminated exam timetables- one for my wallet, one for my desk. Lots of notes highlighted in lovely colours but not read. Several Facebook status updates, 2 essays left to write, a clean bedroom and a hideous amount of food consumed.

Anyone else fiercely procrastinating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Haven't even that much done...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I printed off most of my lecture slides/notes last week. But then I just woke up. Meh my first exam isn't until next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Its only 13 hours in, give us time! I have a clear desk and quants definitions done, now for Spain & the Habsburgs.

Anyone wanna give me any hints?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Mushy wrote: »
    Its only 13 hours in, give us time! I have a clear desk and quants definitions done, now for Spain & the Habsburgs.

Anyone wanna give me any hints?

Baroque art!!!

Declan Downey I presume...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I've loads to do, don't even know where to start. Aaghhhh this week will not be fun

• Advertisement

Baroque art!!!

Declan Downey I presume...

The one and only:D

DOubt I'll study that art section. One of the few 9 o clock mondays I do make and it was that:mad: Doing Habsburgs and Inquisition for his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well I ran 8 miles this afternoon and watched stuff on the RTE player.

I'm productive, me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

does wikipedia-hopping from one tiny part of a course you're doing to various random articles for hours at a time count as study? if so, its goin really well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

In the library for 6 hours today, studied for a solid 4.75 hours. Heading back up when it dies down and after I go for a run, eat dinner, relax for a while. Library girls are looking great as was expected

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If I was to keep up yesterdays standard of working I'd do ok in these exams, today has been a differant story so far though!

On a related note, anyone know if the sudent bar is still doing 3euro drinks today?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Awful day and off to toulouse this weekend for the rugby... what was I thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have a serious issue with "displacement activity", like the OP: after 12 weeks of my subjects, just about anything is more interesting. On Sunday I started looking at Soil Mechanics, and within ten minutes I found myself defragmenting my computer hard drive. At least I'm able to spot this, finally.

There's something about the current system that takes a subject, for which you were once enthusiastic, and batters you over the head with it, until you just want it to go away and leave you in peace. I think exams are the culprit: it doesn't matter what you actually learn, unless it's going to get you the marks in the exams, otherwise you have nothing to show for your efforts. There's no time - and no energy left at this point - to appreciate where things fit in to the big picture.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

only 5 exams, one of which is piss. Study shall commence soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

That I am commenting at 4am post-Whelans then Coppers explains how well study week is going so far! That I am posting at all shows how badly Coppers went :D

6 exams to go, study commences at 4, I'm expecting major breakthroughs then :D Plus the little matter of a 5000 word literature review due on May 28th. Fun times!

The one and only:D

DOubt I'll study that art section. One of the few 9 o clock mondays I do make and it was that:mad: Doing Habsburgs and Inquisition for his stuff.

Whatever you do, do not say Philip II was a tyrant.

Or you could do, for the comedy factor; but you would not be able to see his face: only the NG on your report.

I think the internet is the worst culprit for displacement activity. Particularly when you actively work at something on the internet that has no bearing on your study... or anything resembling normal human endeavor...

Whatever you do, do not say Philip II was a tyrant.

Or you could do, for the comedy factor; but you would not be able to see his face: only the NG on your report.

I think the internet is the worst culprit for displacement activity. Particularly when you actively work at something on the internet that has no bearing on your study... or anything resembling normal human endeavor...

Haha, they've been veery clever, in that whatever topic you di the mid-semester essay on, you can't do that question in the exam. I did mine on Phillip II already (fully agreed he was a perfect master).

Now, onto more study!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Study, not going well at all!

Been to the gym both days, and was in Galway for the St Pats game yesterday.

My first exam ain't til the 7th of May though!

All Sociology quants done, first half of first exam done, only one topic left in that. No major rush for las two exams, they not on till 14/15th anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Not going well... I'm only worried about one exam though, feckin organic chemistry.. Gonna have to full the finger out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

Haven't even finished masteringbio assignments! Let alone study...

Stayed up for study week (to be renamed Sleeping week) to go to geology classes... Didn't get up in time...

Luckily, dishes are done, room is tidy, e-mail inbox has been sorted...
    And one chapter has been read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

not goin well, meant to stay up late last night, fell asleep on the couch after watchin coffee and cigarettes, woken up at 1 o clock today by housemate who doesnt even have exams!
    if any1 else has stat inference 2 they'll understand why im half giving up now.
    really should've gone to some lectures and ****. oh well:(

marglin wrote: »
    watchin coffee and cigarettes,

How do you watch coffee and cigarettes? That paranoid about them being stolen? :D

The ultimate decision:
    1. More reading
    2. More note-taking
      or
    3. More learning-off-by-heart?

As a one-track mind I find it incredibly difficult to switch between the three, even though a balance is imperative. Alternatively you can just prevaricate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Spending time underlining things I am never going to read again. Other than that have bought and planted lots of flowers in my garden. They'll be nice later in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Spending time underlining things I am never going to read again.

I never understood the benefit of studying like that. How does it work? If I read something I will either learn it off or else (more likely) take notes on it in my own words and learn those off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I never understood the benefit of studying like that. How does it work? If I read something I will either learn it off or else (more likely) take notes on it in my own words and learn those off

It doesn't work. Just feels like I am doing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 summersunplease

Started to panic a bit yesterday... Writing tonnes of notes out then highlighting them, realised this is taking far too long. Drinking tea by the gallon. More chilled out today. On a plus note got hair done yesterday, mum's treat cus she could sense the stress... sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I ran out of my favourite coffee this morning. *pout*

Still not getting as much done as I'd like to. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Haha, they've been veery clever, in that whatever topic you di the mid-semester essay on, you can't do that question in the exam. I did mine on Phillip II already (fully agreed he was a perfect master).

Now, onto more study!

Heh it's such a pain re-doing the inquisition would of been much easier ;) Don't suppose you got any indication as to what was coming up I know it's like 4 q's in each section. I'm currently studying the conquest of the Americas but thinking I might be better off just doing Philip II, plus thinking Louis XIV and europe in section b.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ive only 2 exams on the 10th so not too worried bout them yet.

Doing a take home exam at the minute. No matter how hard i try i cant get it into my head that its as important as those on the the 10th

Advertisement