Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Down Under - Best Route/Airline

Options
  • 26-04-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Figured it would be best to ask this here as ye are the people with most expierience on this long haul trek :)

I just recieved my 2 year NZ visa so am hoping to fly back there within the coming weeks and I am currently just looking through flights.
    I'm very tall (6ft+) so finding the right seat is always a good thing on a journey like this.

Just wondering on what people feel is best airline -> route for the journey. This will be my third time doing this flight and have taken differnt airlines/routes during previous flights. So far I have flown with Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines (stopovers in both Singapore and Malaysia) and found them to be good but still cramped as I mentioned leg room is a key area of mine while a I got a priority seat on 1 leg the other was fairly cramped (Malaysian).

I have read all about this online and know of sites such as Seat Guru and Airline Quality but would rather hear first hand from people who have flown from here their route/price.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Find an airline flying 747s.

Towards the back of the plane the seat configuation goes from 3-4-3 to 2-4-2. The window seat offers much more room especially in the first of these 2-4-2 rows as there is no seat in front of you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Singapore Airlines on the A380 is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Towards the back of the plane the seat configuation goes from 3-4-3 to 2-4-2. The window seat offers much more room especially in the first of these 2-4-2 rows as there is no seat in front of you
    The sneaky feckers have started charging extra for these premium seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

This is my second time here, first time was with Emirates. Top Notch airline. And flying through Dubai is the most straight forward route.

Second tim was with Cathay Pacific, it was cheaper, but we went through Hong Kong, much longer journey. Seats were a bit more cramped, and not as good a selection on the tv. (but maybe im just spoiled with Emirates :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Isn't that at the expense of shoulder room?

I recommend Singapore Airlines for their quality of service, new planes, ease of booking and their frequent flyer program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Singapore Airlines all the way. A380 Heathrow to Singapore- flew this last year and it's just dandy- I'm 6 foot and appreciate the extra legroom. You get a smaller flight from Singapore to Auckland (usually a 777) but it's only 10 hrs vs the 14 hr first leg.

Air NZ are a close second, via Hong Kong though, not the LA route.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hey Balkie, long time.

Def the Singapore Airlines way.

I've flown Air NZ via LA. Didn't enjoy it.
    Emirates through Dubai is ok.

But my fav is still Singapore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iilovelamp

Has anyone flown with Eva Air? Booked a flight with them because of the cheap price but now hoping that wasn't a bad idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Avoid Malaysian Airlines, they're crap. Etihad is excellent.

Confab wrote: »
    Avoid Malaysian Airlines, they're crap. Etihad is excellent.
    Malaysia's prices are keen but booking system is rubbish and I've heard customer service is of similar standard. I nearly booked with them for next trip home but their website didn't allow me to book stopovers, so Singapore got the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I've flown with Malaysia Airlines before and thought they were pretty decent. The food served was a lot better than you get with most other airlines and the plane was barely a third full so there was loads of room to stretch out during the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

if possible, i'd advise avoiding heathrow at all costs - it was the most stressful part of my whole trip!

amybabes wrote: »
    if possible, i'd advise avoiding heathrow at all costs - it was the most stressful part of my whole trip!
    Couldn't agree more. What a dump. I'd say Baghdad is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Just got to NZ last week - fly Dublin-London-LAX-Auckland-Christchurch. Air NZ are great but the length of the journey was not very fun at all. Described how much I was dreading it here. http://straightouttadublin.blogspot.com/2010/04/any-plans-for-weekend.html.

In no hurry to do that trip again. If you can stop over somewhere I'd really recommend it.

But I did get 2 x 23kg bags cause I fly via the States and they didn't charge me any excess luggage fees either for bringing my skis with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

There was a guy on the radio here last week, who had visited every recognised country in the world. Question came in about which was his favourite airline, he plumped for Singapore.

I flew out and back with Singapore. Heading home I could take the A380 from MEL>SIN. It's a daily flight so there was loads of free seats. I had all three to myself by the window. On the leg from SIN>LHR, I got a seat upstairs where the seats are only 2 deep by the window. You are well fed and watered the whole trip, with plenty to do and watch on the entertainment system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Hi all, planning a trip to the rugby world cup in NZ in september 2011. Was thinking about heading to thailand from dublin, spending 4/5 days on a beach and then on to auckland. return trip from dunedin to melbourne for a week and then back to ireland.

I havent been to Asia, New Zealand or Australia before so I'd appreciate any travel advice regards the route and best location to stop for a few days in asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

jank wrote: »
    Singapore Airlines on the A380 is the way to go.

If you book on their website, you can select your seats. Hubby and I are booked on the upper deck 2 seaters with an extra storage bin at the side.
    When I fly home, it's always busy (Christmas time), so pleased to have that bit of extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Any flight that stops in Changi. Best airport in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Hi,

I would certainly vouch to fly with Emirates, however, the main thing will be aircraft NOT airlines.

Ive flown with Emirates 4 times to/from NZ and nothing can beat the A380. In economy there is so much space it's almost like a business class seat on other types of aircraft.

The 777 would be next best, and lastly the A340. I found the A340 cramped and Im not even tall, and flying on it from Dubai - Brisbane nonstop was a bit difficult.

My best advice for you would be choose an airline for aircraft but stick with them and join their frequent flyer club if youre going to be travelling back and forth at all. I travelled back and forward with Emirates so I was able to use my miles on my last trip home for a business class seat on the A380 all the way from Auckland to Heathrow... words cant describe how epic that journey was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

thanks for all the advice. the preference at the moment is to fly to ho chi minh through kuala lumper. one thing i have noticed is that it will be rainy season round vietnam in september!

• Advertisement

Note that at quieter times of years the older aircraft types can be more comfortable because people favour the A380s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Cheers for the replies, some good information there.

I actually ended up going with Cathay Pacific as got a flight from Dublin to Auckland (via HK) on Friday for under €500 plus I got to reserve choice of seats (including a 2-4-2 and an exit door seat on different legs) so if I get those seats then I'll be happy.
    Have made the journey with Sing, Malay and Quan before so wanted someone different.

Flew with Singapore last year from Auck to London (via Changi) and while the flight,staff etc were top notch, I just didn't find the seats comfortable. Had window seat and found leg room limited (I'm 6'4) so its either emergency seat or a very looooong journey for me!

Actually don't mind the stopoff in Heathrow as can usually find my departure gate/terminal with time to spare, have 3 hours this time round so should be plenty.

The pure boredom of the flight there is what gets me. I'm just dreading it, and will be even worse if I get a bad seat/annoying child etc. I decided to buy an empower flight charger for my laptop today so that will defintely help with the 25hr flight plus I see they have good movies this month onboard :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

All good advice here. Basically the A380 rules the roost so if you are booking with an airline make sure that you are on those planes.
    Saying that I was on a Singapore - Sydney flight last night on a Qantas 747 and there was loads of room in economy which made the flight all the much better. Now not sure if that was because of volcanic ash as the flight began in Frankfurt or were there more demand for the A380..that was flying later that night

In terms of Airlines Singapore Airlines are fantastic, Qantas the service can be mixed, sometimes great (like last night) other terms terrible. Flew Eremites as well and although havent done reall long haul with them they were very good and I can imgaine their A380's to be class.
    Stay away from BA, utter ****E!

If you have a stop over to burn then Changi Airport has to be the best place to go. Terminal 3 is more like a hotel than an airport. Hong Kong aint too bad either but no A380's fly there :(

Anyway with more A380's being rolled out every year more and more routes and airlines will have them so it will be normal to fly on the A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I'm now happily back in New Zealand after a quite enjoyable flight!
    I paid extra for my exit row seat from lon to hk which was worth it then i manged to get them to put me on seat from that goes from 4 rows to 3 which gave me quite a bit of legroom plus had no-one sitting beside me so bonus sleeping room :P
    Overall had no complaint flying the cathay and would fly with them again.
    (their entertainment system is easily best i've seen on a flight i.e. all latest releases! plus great selection of older movies)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Went with Etihad lately and thought they were great! Had exit seats on way out but not on way back and felt the lack of leg room in a big way though!! Can't beat the fact that it's only two flights and you're in Oz.

Gotta say they are a great crew to go with though, food is pretty good and lots of it - they're constantly coming down the gangway with something or other! Could have done with more leg room though and I'm not even tall!

Advertisement