If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Theatre System recommendation/deal

Options
  • 26-04-2010 1:17pm

Hey guys,

I posted over here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055893549
    We're looking to get a surround sound system to go with our Projector setup at home, but I'm stumped at which to get.

We have a Wii, PS3 and the UPC box to connect.
    Ideally we would want two tall boy front speakers, and two wireless back satellites. The room is completely finished, so wires everywhere would be a problem.

The room is pretty much square, with the screen over a rear facing window and the projector approx 15ft back.

There is a door on the left of the room (when you face the screen), and a large opening (width ~ 2.5doors) behind the projector into another room.

Anyone got any experience with this, or has anyone got any contacts for someone who will spec one up, and come out and fit it for a reasonable price? (The guy who put the projector/screen in cost us ~40% again in labour, as well as spec'ing an older model than I had suggested, with expensive bulbs)

Appreciate any input, budget is negotiable, obviously prefer to spend less, but if theres value to be had with a more expensive system, I am all ears.

Thanks

Budget is €350-€500, am looking for decent value, so a €100 crap system doesn't compare value wise to a €400 system that is the dog's bollox.

Have you anything suitable? I'd like an all-in-one setup, but if you have anything more suited, that wouldn't take much more effort, I'd be interested.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hey guys,

I posted over here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055893549

Budget is €350-€500, am looking for decent value, so a €100 crap system doesn't compare value wise to a €400 system that is the dog's bollox.

Have you anything suitable? I'd like an all-in-one setup, but if you have anything more suited, that wouldn't take much more effort, I'd be interested.

Thanks

Emmet,

Thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you.

First off we really would not recommend wireless rears - for several reasons:

1. in our experience most of them are pretty poor quality
    2. They all need wires anyway! (need to be wired to the mains and normally then to each other - so the name 'wireless' is a bit misleading)

So we would strongly recommend that you try to wire the rears or if this is not possible we would recommend that you opt for a decent quality 2.1 system with decent virtual surround options - or a good stereo system which many people ignore - however stereo can still add greatly to the home cinema experience if decent kit is used.

Here are a couple of options:

Pioneer BCS-FS500 - a Blu-Ray 2.1 system - this is selling at €599 in the ROI - I have it available at a bonkers £299.95 / €349.99 - This offer is completely exclusive to Boardies and will not be offered at the same price in-store:

The FS500 has really stylish slim front speakers and a matching subwoofer - all powered by a 300watt amplifier - of course Radio and Blu-Ray are included - It's Dolby True HD Equipped and it includes an Ipod dock / cradle.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products...500/index.html

picture.php?albumid=1057&pictureid=5567
    This is our best ever Blu-Ray system deal (even our cousins in Richer Sounds PLC are selling them at £369.95 at the moment - so at £299.95 they really are a crazy deal!)

If you wanted a slightly stranger (but really excellent quality alternative) Onkyo are re-introducing their famous HTX22 system - upgraded over the next few weeks - this is a cracking 2.1 system that is expandable to 5.1 (maybe when you are next decorating??) It will be called the HTX22HDX and we will be selling it at a bargain £269.95.

Keep me posted if any of these are of interest to you - we will always do out very best to assist,

Thanks again for the post!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Forgive my ignorance but I always assumed that more speakers > Less?

At present we are using a pretty decent stereo for the audio for all of the above, its decent, nothing special though, and we find that we have to turn it up quite loud to be heard properly in the room, which becomes a big problem in films that have various sound levels.

If we could get a 2.1 system that delivered good sound quality, and looked well in the room, I think we would go for it. I had really only been looking at 5.1 systems, but am definitely not the expert here!

What height are those speakers? Would love a system that was almost a focal point of the room.

Bump :D

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Lamar Famous Trombonist.

Sorry for the delay :)

The speakers on the Pioneer system come in at:

Front Satellite Dimensions (W x H x D) 77 x 395 x 55 mm
    Front Satellite Weight 1,00 kg
    Subwoofer Dimensions (W x H x D) 230 x 380 x 360 mm
    Subwoofer Weight 5,40 kg

You could have a look at the Pioneer DCS585 5.1 system priced at £229.95 but this would drop out the Blu Ray Player and its just not as eye catching as the DCS-FS500.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&SUB=26&ProductID=1004

No problem losing the Blu Ray, as the PS3 does admirably in that regard.

I am kind of coming around to the idea of a 2.1 system, was not sure at all before, as would prefer more speakers, but running wires everywhere could prove a disaster.

Have you any systems with quite tall (~1.1m) speakers that are quite good looking themselves?

Thanks again, and no worries about delays. I would prefer to wait 2 weeks and get the system that suits best than get a recommendation instantly that proves to be worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Pioneer BCS-FS500 - a Blu-Ray 2.1 system - this is selling at €599 in the ROI - I have it available at a bonkers £299.95 / €349.99 - This offer is completely exclusive to Boardies and will not be offered at the same price in-store:

The FS500 has really stylish slim front speakers and a matching subwoofer - all powered by a 300watt amplifier - of course Radio and Blu-Ray are included - It's Dolby True HD Equipped and it includes an Ipod dock / cradle.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products...500/index.html

picture.php?albumid=1057&pictureid=5567
    This is our best ever Blu-Ray system deal (even our cousins in Richer Sounds PLC are selling them at £369.95 at the moment - so at £299.95 they really are a crazy deal!)

If you wanted a slightly stranger (but really excellent quality alternative) Onkyo are re-introducing their famous HTX22 system - upgraded over the next few weeks - this is a cracking 2.1 system that is expandable to 5.1 (maybe when you are next decorating??) It will be called the HTX22HDX and we will be selling it at a bargain £269.95.

Keep me posted if any of these are of interest to you - we will always do out very best to assist,

Thanks again for the post!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew
    Very tempted by this but would it be compatible with Panasonic's Viera Link system? Or, indeed is the Viera Link exclusive to Panasonic only?
    (Trying to avoid yet another remote!).

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

peking97 wrote: »
    Very tempted by this but would it be compatible with Panasonic's Viera Link system? Or, indeed is the Viera Link exclusive to Panasonic only?
    (Trying to avoid yet another remote!).

Peking,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - No the FS500 does not have Viera link - that's specific to Panasonic - however I have just got the really excellent Philips SRT9320 which whilst expensive really is a superb remote - I just cannot believe how easy it is to use and how long the rechargable battery lasts!

The SRT9320 normally retails at €199.95 but we can do it at €119.99 for you and it will solve ALL your remote problems.....

Keep us posted,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.