Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live connection problems

• 26-04-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have UPC 10mb connection (Cisco epc2524 router) and have the xbox connected with ethernet cable. The past few days I have been having major issues with xbox live. I can connect ok with no problems at the start. Games play fine with no lag or anything. After a while of playing (no fixed time) it disconnects from xbox live and it won't reconnect. I have to switch off the xbox for few hours then it will work again and the problem repeats. I should stress that the internet remains connected at all times.

I have tried everything at this stage. Have uPnP enabled, NAT type is open, firewall off, ports forwarded, DMZ set to the xbox IP. The xbox is set to automatic settings. I have tried resetting the router, clearing the xbox memory cache, power cycling....

Is there anything I may have overlooked? This is really annoying me. Would the fact that 2 laptops are also connected wirelessly to the router affect the xbox live connection? Bearing in mind that this is a recent issue had no problems before last week. Could it be a dodgy cable? I'm really at my wits end. Rany UPC, they said go to microsoft, rang microsoft told me its UPC's problem :mad:

Would setting a static IP on the xbox help? I have no idea how to do that with the Cisco router though. When I manually set the IP on the xbox it said that a static IP was not possible with my router's settings.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Sorry but don't have any ideas but the same thing started happening with me today and I'm on the same 10meg upc setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Anybody??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

exact thing happening to me. Same router. I've threads started here. It went down on me today at half 7 ish after an almost faultless weekend.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055858764

and here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055858637.

Let me know when it comes back and goes for you again. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinlessgunner

Hey,

I think I may have found the solution however it could be just that the network stopped acting up. I tried to give my xbox a static IP but it wouldn't connect. I went through the xbox solutions and one of them said to ensure that the MAC address of the xbox is _________ (don't have the number to hand) and try again. I went into the router settings and in one of the options you can link a MAC address with an IP. Get the current IP of the xbox and link it to the MAC address of the xbox. Leave the xbox on automatic settings. I turned off auto sign in on my profile and replaced the ethernet cable. Last night I played COD online for hours with no issues at all. I also have the uPnP enabled and all of the other suggestions I put in my original post.

Again this may or may not have fixed it but this is the first time in about a week I have played online with no disconnection. Maybe others could give it a try and see if it works for them.

Happy gaming :D

I went through the xbox solutions and one of them said to ensure that the MAC address of the xbox is _________ (don't have the number to hand) and try again. I went into the router settings and in one of the options you can link a MAC address with an IP. Get the current IP of the xbox and link it to the MAC address of the xbox. Leave the xbox on automatic settings.

Where exactly in this setting on the router? What menu option is it?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

With UPC and using the same router with the same problems. Only seemed to start this week.

With UPC and using the same router with the same problems. Only seemed to start this week.

Strange I've been having this problem on and off for 6 to 8 weeks now. It was fine tonight. Not a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's weird because it's affecting my iPhone and 360 but not my laptop. Everything seemed to be fine this morning - just tested it for a couple of seconds before leaving for work and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinlessgunner

Trilla I'm not quite sure what setting it is under as I'm posting here from work and. Go through the options on the router settings and you will see it.

I would think this is more of an issue with UPC network rather than with the router as it seems that this is a recent problem. Maybe if enough complaints are made to UPC something might be done about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭steo2k9

I have this problem on the xbox with UPC too. Sometimes it works for hours while other times it happens every 10 or 20 minutes. Usually i have to wait for the wireless to reconnect and it takes about 7 seconds but last night it kept going off and taking about 10 minutes to reconnect, it kept saying everyone left my xbox live party and on their xboxs it said i left. Maybe last night was a once off but the random disconnecting thing is annoying. It works absolutely perfect and suddenly it just disconnects and reconnects seconds later. But that few seconds is enough to lose connection from the game you were in the middle of. Is there any settings on the router that can be changed to sort this? The laptops and ps3 don't do it often like the xbox does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I am having the exact same problems as everyone in this thread, only I am on eircom 1 Mb.

Problems only popped up for me last week too.

Advertisement