Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could rock stars today get away with this?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭

In the 80's and 70's there were certain bands that used to have an unusual type of dress code. Kiss and Motley Crue being the most notable. But in this day and age I don't really know of any bands that would dress they way they did. Maybe you could get away with that stuff back then, I don't know. But my question is Could a rock band today dress up in flamboyant outfits and outragous attire and not get a lot of stick for it, or would they be laughed at for dressing differently. Of course it dosen't matter what way they dress as long as they can perform well, but it's something I wondered about while watching old videos of Motley Crue today. Is it just because music today, ain't what it used to be, or because it's not the 70's and 80's anymore. I just think it would be a little refreshing seeing a new rock band with a good image, that dosen't look so generic like you do see with bands today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hadn't thought about this funnily enough! True though, the 70/80s was often about flamboyant presentation then the flipping grungy/shoe gazers/baggy shorts brigades took over. I dunno if you'd get laughed out of town (or the record companies office) if you turned up a la Kiss/Alice Cooper or even Judas Priests Gay rocker look but it might count against you unless you had one hell of a demo and a known live following.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

Well it was the glam way back then, but nowadays you have pretty decent "outfits" in the so called R&B scene (lady gaga?), plus guys like slipknot, daft punk...

The darkness made a bit of a revival of the glam look couple of years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Steel Panther anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Steel Panther anyone?

ah beaten to the post! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

EVERYBODY SHOULD READ THIS BOOK

Motley Crue - The Dirt

http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Confessions-Worlds-Most-Notorious/dp/0060392886

It is unbeliveable the stuff these guys got up to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Apparently the Scandanavian countries have a growing Glam Rock scene .... check out this song - it's excellent - it's the best song RATT / Skid Row never wrote !! ..

Crashdiet - Generation Wild

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

RATT fair enough, but where the feck are you going with skid row?
    They are much better than this!

If i had a banhammer you'd get a light warning poke!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Marilyn Manson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

Mortiis...???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Song lads ... not image ... listen to the song.

Skid Row similarity - Youth Gone Wild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Riddle101 wrote: »
    In the 80's and 70's there were certain bands that used to have an unusual type of dress code. Kiss and Motley Crue being the most notable. But in this day and age I don't really know of any bands that would dress they way they did. Maybe you could get away with that stuff back then, I don't know. But my question is Could a rock band today dress up in flamboyant outfits and outragous attire and not get a lot of stick for it, or would they be laughed at for dressing differently. Of course it dosen't matter what way they dress as long as they can perform well, but it's something I wondered about while watching old videos of Motley Crue today. Is it just because music today, ain't what it used to be, or because it's not the 70's and 80's anymore. I just think it would be a little refreshing seeing a new rock band with a good image, that dosen't look so generic like you do see with bands today.

Depends really. Maybe not so much over here, but in other countries.

Take the Japanese Visual Kei scene for example, their styles are probably more elaborate and flamboyant than a lot of the classic glam rock bands.

band_img_small_53631.jpg

Karl, using an excuse to post Japanese music videos? Why I never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

That japanese stuff is cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

What about Black Metal, have you seen the getups that bands like Gorgoroth have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Hmm, seems there were more flamboyantly dress bands then I thought, but the thing about those bands are. Do they have the success around the world as The Crue or Kiss? In Scandaniavian countries and Japan, as well as their follower, they tend to accept that kind've thing. But I do wonder about the world wide audience, whether they would embrace flamboyantly dress bands as they did in the past.

Hmm, seems there were more flamboyantly dress bands then I thought, but the thing about those bands are. Do they have the success around the world as The Crue or Kiss? In Scandaniavian countries and Japan, as well as their follower, they tend to accept that kind've thing. But I do wonder about the world wide audience, whether they would embrace flamboyantly dress bands as they did in the past.

There's a fair bit of worldwide success for the Japanese bands, in the last few years especially, a lot of them have fairly big tours around Europe, as well as some shows in the US and even places like South America. We don't get to see them in Ireland, or even in the UK (bar a few festivals), so a lot of media and the like wouldn't pick up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oh yeah.. bands look waaay cooler/ less gay these days...

Fall.Out.Boy.jpg

AvengedSevenfold.jpg

my_chemical_romance-large-msg-115743976367.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Oh yeah.. bands look waaay cooler/ less gay these days...

Fall.Out.Boy.jpg

AvengedSevenfold.jpg

my_chemical_romance-large-msg-115743976367.jpg

Haha, I agree. But then again, if anything EMO proves my point of why it might be hard for bands to dress flamboyantly. These bands don't really dress much different to us, yet get a lot of slack because they look like twats. So if these guys can get can get a load of sh!t because of the way they look, then what about guys who dress up as if they were in Kiss?

Haha, I agree. But then again, if anything EMO proves my point of why it might be hard for bands to dress flamboyantly. These bands don't really dress much different to us, yet get a lot of slack because they look like twats. So if these guys can get can get a load of sh!t because of the way they look, then what about guys who dress up as if they were in Kiss?

I think the main reason those guys get a lot of criticism is because of their music, and people criticize their appearance as an after thought.

• Advertisement

For no other reason other than it's awesome:

And this is their latest video:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Depends really. Maybe not so much over here, but in other countries.

Take the Japanese Visual Kei scene for example, their styles are probably more elaborate and flamboyant than a lot of the classic glam rock bands.

band_img_small_53631.jpg
    please tell me that one on the right's a chick?

hadn't heart of steel panther before this thread, definitely going to be buying that album. fat girl is awesome

:D

japanesemusicians.PNG

Are you up to the challenge? :pac:

i hate you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Are you up to the challenge? :pac:
    That picture probably deserves its own thread! Out of curiousity do you know the answer? It'd be interesting to see how many guesses I'd need before I got it right :p.

After careful deliberation I'm going to guess it's
    the picture on the bottom right.

Malice_ wrote: »
    That picture probably deserves its own thread! Out of curiousity do you know the answer? It'd be interesting to see how many guesses I'd need before I got it right :p.

I had posted it up on my social group the other day (sign up if you think you can handle it! Need more sick and deviant minds to join the ranks.), but yeah, probably does need a whole thread all to itself. And yeah, I do know the answer. Knew it pretty much right away, but to be fair, I do know most of the musicians in that pic anyway.
    Malice_ wrote: »
    After careful deliberation I'm going to guess it's
    the picture on the bottom right.

Wrong. You're now gay for Yoshiki from X Japan. :p

Still, mega talented guy to be gay for:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Warlords of Pez.. Just plain strange!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

1555hijacklive.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

lol! the Hizaki trap. he's gorgeous isn't he.. notice how the only one u wouldn't go for is a chick.

joking :pac: theres only 4-5 dudes there i'd go for. if they were chicks

• Advertisement

just to add, that steel panther album is absolutely ****ing fantastic

Advertisement