Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could rock stars today get away with this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Star Bingo wrote: »
    notice how the only one u wouldn't go for is a chick.

no.. turns out 'rose' is in fact Yoshiki. from X japan.

very good, ur maliciousness.

:D

japanesemusicians.PNG

Are you up to the challenge? :pac:

ok.. much deliberation :confused: .. top> 2nd from right. no, top> centre. if not, then 2nd from right. :mad: third choice is the joker

-maybe whacking off to em will reveal the answer? back with a 5th attempt tomorrow if theyr all dudes k ;-

EDIT: 5th choice - or, er - the possible female - is at the bottom in blue. back w/ a 6th tomorrow =

EDIT: christ what a dyke. scratch that 5th 'entry'.

.. ah.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-163786/japanese-musicians/?pg=3

so i got i right! no need to confirm karl :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah ya feckin' cheater! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Wait, there was REALLY only ONE GIRL in that whole collection....................................

In the immortal words of Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Holy Fúckin Shít...

They all look so... effeminate!!! I don't know any rock band that looks that androgynous! Even Poison at their very worst, it was still fairly obvious they were blokes!!!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

• Advertisement

Yep, there really was only one girl there. And yeah, those Japanese lads really out-do anything in glam rock.

Garden_Toshiya.jpg
    hizaki350.jpg
    mana112.jpg?t=1272489957
    369459ac_bou.jpg

Again, to quote Paulie: Holy fúcking shít...

I think that it's not so much the appearance that they'd not get away with nowadays, it's the behaviour. The mental excesses that they indulged in back then. It's not seen as trendy or cool anymore, IMO. People look at musicians on drugs and so on, and they're not leaders/avant-garde/hip or anything... They're "mess", "junkie", "scum" etc. I don't think what flew 20-30 years ago in a lot of categories would fly now.

DazMarz wrote: »
    I think that it's not so much the appearance that they'd not get away with nowadays, it's the behaviour. The mental excesses that they indulged in back then. It's not seen as trendy or cool anymore, IMO. People look at musicians on drugs and so on, and they're not leaders/avant-garde/hip or anything... They're "mess", "junkie", "scum" etc. I don't think what flew 20-30 years ago in a lot of categories would fly now.

I don't think I really agree there, I mean people look at how the bands carried on back then and judge it in hindsight now, but there's still a huge element in pop culture of glorifying musicians and artists that debase themselves. Take a look at the obsessions over people like Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse for example. I think it's more a case that Rock isn't as much in the public eye as it was, and the media has shifted focus to pop and indie people who are acting out and behaving as much as the rockers of old would have.

I don't think I really agree there, I mean people look at how the bands carried on back then and judge it in hindsight now, but there's still a huge element in pop culture of glorifying musicians and artists that debase themselves. Take a look at the obsessions over people like Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse for example. I think it's more a case that Rock isn't as much in the public eye as it was, and the media has shifted focus to pop and indie people who are acting out and behaving as much as the rockers of old would have.

But these "pop stars" and so on nowadays (the above two eejits being prime examples of this) are far more derided than the likes of Slash, Nikki Sixx and so on were back in the day. Plus, rockers made drug use leerily "cool" and so on.

Saddos like Doherty (the ultimate waste of my precious fúcking oxygen out there) and Winehouse (a waste of skin) are made fun of constantly and are only seen as ''cool'' by a very small hardcore of deluded fans.

DazMarz wrote: »
    But these "pop stars" and so on nowadays (the above two eejits being prime examples of this) are far more derided than the likes of Slash, Nikki Sixx and so on were back in the day. Plus, rockers made drug use leerily "cool" and so on.

Saddos like Doherty (the ultimate waste of my precious fúcking oxygen out there) and Winehouse (a waste of skin) are made fun of constantly and are only seen as ''cool'' by a very small hardcore of deluded fans.

To be entirely fair to Winehouse, her music is not really my kinda thing, but she is (or rather way) quite a talented singer, moreso than a lot of her contemporaries. You have to ask yourself, if the likes of Dohery made the kind of music you loved, would you still feel the same way about them? I'm sure there's plenty of fans of other kinds of music that would think similar things about "dirtbag rock musicians" or such?

As I see it, a lot of what behavior we find acceptable (or at least, we ignore if we don't find it acceptable) in rock is usually because we like the music, and those individuals we consider very talented. An extreme example of this is Varg Vikernes, a lot of people would consider him a murdering neo-nazi arsonist scumbag, but then a lot of people would also consider him an extremely talented person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I think it depends on the country you are from as to what you can get away with, Ireland is too small and backwards for fellas to get accepted and the music accepted. Sure this country is full of sheep, very few people here will actually break from the norm and follow bands that are edgy because they dont want to be labelled a "EMO" or whatever, its kinda sad.

However Id cite Lady GaGa as a Prime example of how if you can somehow get around the crap stigma(Posibly because shes apparantley a woman), her style is heavily influenced by the Crue and other Glam bands from the 80s, even her songs you can hear the influence. The has a song boysboysboys for gods sake!!! LOL

To be entirely fair to Winehouse, her music is not really my kinda thing, but she is (or rather way) quite a talented singer, moreso than a lot of her contemporaries. You have to ask yourself, if the likes of Dohery made the kind of music you loved, would you still feel the same way about them? I'm sure there's plenty of fans of other kinds of music that would think similar things about "dirtbag rock musicians" or such?

As I see it, a lot of what behavior we find acceptable (or at least, we ignore if we don't find it acceptable) in rock is usually because we like the music, and those individuals we consider very talented. An extreme example of this is Varg Vikernes, a lot of people would consider him a murdering neo-nazi arsonist scumbag, but then a lot of people would also consider him an extremely talented person.

Very true point, I'll admit.

If your idol goes on like an eejit, you'll more likely forgive it as a flight of fancy or something and won't be so quick to judge.

... I still think Doherty and Winehouse are tools tho!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Wes Borland does it

398348.jpg
    And Munky to a lesser extent
    Korn%20Munky.jpg

I know it's not to the same degree as Kiss etc. but just a few more modern examples of make up dress up being used by Rock bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

+1 on the "Reckless Love" plug - saw them being played on kerrang recently. What a band!

Advertisement