Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth

Options
  • 26-04-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

A warning to residents in Maynooth esp those who walk near the Newtown pub near Greenfields estate ,of the dangers there at night. On Sat night some lads were walking back from town when they were set upon by a gang of up to 15 teenage thugs who beat the hell out of them for no reason.These trouble makers were looking for a row, no doubt about that.The Guards were involved but didn't catch any of them. Something has to be done to keep this community safe from these kids???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Another dangerous spot in Maynooth is down by the 'harbour' (near the train station). I usually do be up in Maynooth with college friends and that place is a very dangerous spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

kildare9 wrote: »
    Another dangerous spot in Maynooth is down by the 'harbour' (near the train station). I usually do be up in Maynooth with college friends and that place is a very dangerous spot.

And isn't the cop shop only a stone's throw from there? Also the Fire Station. I would've thought that those thugs would'nt hang around where there's likely to be activity.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

And isn't the cop shop only a stone's throw from there? Also the Fire Station. I would've thought that those thugs would'nt hang around where there's likely to be activity.:eek:

Yeah the Garda station is only down the road from it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yup. Friend of a friend in college was attacked there a few years back... lot of local scummers hang around there on weekend nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

Yeah the Garda station is only down the road from it

that doesnt stop them!!!

sure some of them even try to buy drink off adults coming out of the roost off license, DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE GARDA STATION!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Homer Thompson

Or just snatch the drink straight out of your hand. I was walking by a few of them a couple of weeks ago during rag week in the college. I just had a couple of cans in a bag, they asked me for one, I told them I couldn't spare it and I kept on walking, then 2 of them came straight up behind me and ripped the bag from my hands. I was like wat de f**k and they just said "well wat de f**k are u going to do about it". Its like being a prisoner in your own town wit these bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

len23 wrote: »
    A warning to residents in Maynooth esp those who walk near the Newtown pub near Greenfields estate ,of the dangers there at night. On Sat night some lads were walking back from town when they were set upon by a gang of up to 15 teenage thugs who beat the hell out of them for no reason.These trouble makers were looking for a row, no doubt about that.The Guards were involved but didn't catch any of them. Something has to be done to keep this community safe from these kids???

Think I know the crowd you are referring to. A bunch of absolute scumbags wouldnt get out of my way in the car park of the newtown in last saturday night. I was collecting chinese from the chinese restaurant above the newtown inn, and about 10 of these lads tried intimidating myself and my girlfriend by not moving out of the way.

Needless to say, I revved and moved the car slightly, and some of them sh1t themselves! But we got away before they decided to damage the car or anything.

Its the same crowd who I walked past a few friday nights ago hanging around on the railings / wall at the end of old greenfield (bottom of bond bridge).

Something seriously has to be done about these complete and utter knackers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cowboyzted

Only new to the boards, just had to give a heads up to let anyone in the Maynooth area that leaves their car parked out for the night. Know of 2 incidences of cars parked out the Kilcock side of Maynooth having windows smashed and door panels kicked in. You have to wonder what kind of deranged low life vandalizes a car on a week night for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

is it safe to leave car at dart staion on sunday while at match in croke park?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Safety in numbers I guess. Had my car broken into a few years ago, reported it and the guards told me it was some lad coming out from the city on the train, stealing car radios and going back into the city on the next train before he could be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 eimhin.ennis

leaving it there during the day on matchday, yes. overnight - absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

scumbags hanging around old greenfield? no way!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Lot of scaremongering going on here in my opinion. Sure it can be a bad place at times but only if you go looking for trouble.

I've lived in Maynooth for two years for college and it gets noticeably worse at the weekends. But still if you mind your own business then they won't bother you. Simple trick that I always use is when walking past them is to just walk tall and confidently past them. All they are is cowards at the back of it all and want to pick on someone inferior to them. They can smell fear in the form of a head down and crossing the road to avoid them. Just carry on with your own business and you'll be grand, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Lot of scaremongering going on here in my opinion. Sure it can be a bad place at times but only if you go looking for trouble.

I've lived in Maynooth for two years for college and it gets noticeably worse at the weekends. But still if you mind your own business then they won't bother you. Simple trick that I always use is when walking past them is to just walk tall and confidently past them. All they are is cowards at the back of it all and want to pick on someone inferior to them. They can smell fear in the form of a head down and crossing the road to avoid them. Just carry on with your own business and you'll be grand, simple as.
    I'm in college in Maynooth too and I have seen then around campus and down by the harbour a few times. I can take your point on board but whatever about attacking a group of lads, this sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable.
    Think I know the crowd you are referring to. A bunch of absolute scumbags wouldnt get out of my way in the car park of the newtown in last saturday night. I was collecting chinese from the chinese restaurant above the newtown inn, and about 10 of these lads tried intimidating myself and my girlfriend by not moving out of the way.
    Cowards. I know a good few of the locals from college and they are lovely, friendly people but Maynooth has a completely other side to it too. You just have to look at them standing outside Dunnes and the bookies during the week or else down at the harbour. Sad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I also live in Maynooth and I have to say I am happily oblivious to all of this:)
    and hoping it stays that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I also live in Maynooth and I have to say I am happily oblivious to all of this:)
    and hoping it stays that way.

your lucky, hope it stays that way . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Explains all the cctv everywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

BumbleB wrote: »
    Explains all the cctv everywhere now.
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Opposite supermacs ,opposite the railway station, opposite the chinese in newton , right in front of the post office in the shopping centre.Theyre popping up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

BumbleB wrote: »
    Opposite supermacs ,opposite the railway station, opposite the chinese in newton , right in front of the post office in the shopping centre.Theyre popping up everywhere.

I'm not aware of the CCTV in Newtown, it's probably just security cameras, but the other CCTV poles around the town you mention are for the intelligent traffic system for the town (or UTC-Urban Traffic Control) There's another CCTV pole at the church.
    AFAIK it was funded by Tesco when the new one opened to help the town cope with the extra volumes of traffic being brought to the town by the new store. Newbridge has a similar system also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 craicthewhip

look i am a resident of maynooth i am born and bread here and unfortunately there are a few scum bags who cause trouble but can u do me a favour and stop making it out like maynooth is the only town that this happens in . every town has there own bunch of scum bags who cause trouble at the end of the day the best thing to do if u are ever faced with them is to walk away and ring the garda . keep reporting them and then finally the garda will be able to get them off the streets .but in my opinion one reason why we have these stupid jumped up scum bags is because there isnt much to do in maynooth unless u can drive and go outside of maynooth .and also the students in maynooth are the worst of all not one of them respects the town and treat it like a dumping ground they are disgusting to be honest and it really does baffle me how any of them are actually in college at all .. now rant over ... :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

can u do me a favour and stop making it out like maynooth is the only town that this happens in .

You do realise that you dragged this thread up from over 2 years ago.
    and also the students in maynooth are the worst of all not one of them respects the town and treat it like a dumping ground

Simply untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

sadie06 wrote: »

You do realise that you dragged this thread up from over 2 years ago.

Their last post was three years ago, so no surprises there.

Simply untrue.

Have to agree with you on this. Most of the students I have ever known to have gone to Maynooth love it. As a college, and as a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Let's keep the zombies for Halloween.

No need to reanimate a thread that's been long left for dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement