Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clifden touring route pls?

• 26-04-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi guy's

MrsAMerc and I are getting away to Clifden for the weekend and were wondering if anyone knew of a touring route we could spend half a day at. ( at a slow enough pace )

Shes new to cycling and on a high nelly type town bike so nothing too strenuous pls.

Many thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

There is a very good approx 40km loop south of Clifden that you could do (pretty flat) but I guess that would be a bit ambitious for someone new to cycling and on a high nelly too. Basically follow the R341 south around to Roundstone (about half way and a lovely place for a coffee stop) then continue north a further 5km to a T-junc and turn left following a small road for about 10km across Roundstone Bog (amazing scenery and very remote). That brings you back to the road you set out on about 3km south of Clifden.
    Perhaps more realistically, you could try a shorter loop that runs from the main N59 a few kms north of Clifden and takes you out to Cleggan and back around by Claddaghduff and Omey Island. In total, 25-30kms. However, there's a bit of a climb on the N59 when you head north from Clifden. Your best bet is to get the OS maps 37 and 44 and see what's available. If you drove a bit you could head out to Letterfrack and do a loop out through Tully Cross to Rinvyle and back Wherever you go you're guaranteed spectacular scenery, I just hope you get the weather! Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I drove from Clifden to Renvyle over Easter and while the roads are a bit narrow and people tend to drive a bit fast over them, they have just been resurfaced and as I was driving I was thinking it would be a great route to cycle. Quite rolling but great scenery and excellent brand new surface.

Advertisement