Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with bald patches on ears?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Hi, one of my cats (2 year old neutered male) has lost some hair on both of his ears. The skin isn't exactly scabby, but looks like it might be starting to get a little bit. Does anyone know what this is? I was thinking ear mites, though his ears don't look waxy or dirty at all. I also checked him for fleas and I don't think he has any. I've never seen him scratching at all though, so that's why I'm confused. Does demodectic mange happen on the ears? The rest of him is fine.

I'm going to the vet (next week) with two of the other cats, so just was wondering if this sounds like ear mites or whatever, then I can just ask the vet for the treatment for that, instead of bringing the cat in. My vet doesn't usually charge me a consultation fee, it'd just be a hassle to bring another cat in to the vet and I don't have enough cages and the cat is very nervous of strangers. :)

And why does it always seem like they all need to go to the vet at the same time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

morganafay wrote: »
    Hi, one of my cats (2 year old neutered male) has lost some hair on both of his ears. The skin isn't exactly scabby, but looks like it might be starting to get a little bit. Does anyone know what this is? I was thinking ear mites, though his ears don't look waxy or dirty at all. I also checked him for fleas and I don't think he has any. I've never seen him scratching at all though, so that's why I'm confused. Does demodectic mange happen on the ears? The rest of him is fine.

I'm going to the vet (next week) with two of the other cats, so just was wondering if this sounds like ear mites or whatever, then I can just ask the vet for the treatment for that, instead of bringing the cat in. My vet doesn't usually charge me a consultation fee, it'd just be a hassle to bring another cat in to the vet and I don't have enough cages and the cat is very nervous of strangers. :)

And why does it always seem like they all need to go to the vet at the same time!

Im curious, is the cats ears white in colour by any chance?

It has been known for cats to get sunburn esp if they have white ear tips, if so and it would seem to fit with the recent sunny weather, bit of sun lotion will help :)

Otherwise, other cause of hair loss ould enclude mites, fleas, ringworm etc. If there has been any excessive scratching around the ears, this may also cause some hair loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Nope, he's black. And it's on the base on the ears. I'd say it's probably mites, but he isn't scratching at all. Or shaking his head or anything. That's why it's confusing me. I know with demodectic mange then they don't scratch, so maybe something like that. And none of my other cats seem to have any problem, and they all would be in close contact with each other all the time.

I can ask the vet anyway and if she says to bring him in then I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Demodex would be pretty uncommon in cats, although there are other mites specific to cats. Ringworm is pretty common however and does often show up on ears. Any hair loss anywhere else? If you're treating regularly for mites, etc, also little unusual but if he mixes regularly with cats who are not as well looked after it could happen. Always itchy with that though (or head shaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Our (adopted) cats have gotten that on and off, and I've found treating them for fleas has worked well, though it does take a while for the hair to grow back. However, there's no harm checking with your vet, especially if you're bringing in the other cats.
    Wisco wrote: »
    Demodex would be pretty uncommon in cats, although there are other mites specific to cats. Ringworm is pretty common however and does often show up on ears. Any hair loss anywhere else? If you're treating regularly for mites, etc, also little unusual but if he mixes regularly with cats who are not as well looked after it could happen. Always itchy with that though (or head shaking).

Ring worm normally appears in a ring form, rather than just bald patches, and will develop some scabs.This is the best image I could find of it in a cat. If you think it is ringworm bring your cat to the vet as soon as you can as it can be extremely contagious to your other cats and to humans. It also can be very sickening if you get it, so it's better to get it treated as soon as you can.

I thought Demodex just because my other cat had it recently on his feet. Also there's a tom cat around that has scabs on his feet (but I can't catch him to see properly or to treat it). And demodex isn't itchy. I know it isn't exactly contagious though is it?

It doesn't really look like ringworm but could be, I'll look up more about the first signs of ringworm.

To be honest I don't regularly treat my animals for fleas or mites. I only treat them if they actually get them (I check for fleas regularly and always keep an eye out for scratching and I wash the dogs a lot). They're mostly outdoors and they never really get fleas, last time they did was maybe 4 years ago. Some summers they do, so then I treat them.

They did get earmites once, about 7 years ago, and their ears had black wax and dirt in them, but now they look fine. And they were scratching and shaking their heads.

I guess it could just be the start of something though, so I better ask the vet. Or if I just used a flea/mite spot on treatment, would that probably work for whatever it was? I might just try that for the time being, until I see my vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

And demodex isn't itchy.

It is VERY itchy, I've had enough demodectic dogs here. Maybe it's different in cats but some severe cases in dogs never stop itching and even dragged themselves raw sideways on cement.. :(

Oops I was sure it was non-itchy? I could be wrong but I was really sure that demodex is non-itchy and sarcoptes is itchy . . .

Either way my cat had it on his feet and he wasn't chewing them or scratching at all. He just got bald patches.

The cat with the bald ears though, maybe he is scratching, but I was sitting next to him for a few hours earlier and he didn't scratch at all. So I'm sure it's not sarcoptes, which is good cos that is not nice at all.

Advertisement