Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beware of scammers

• 26-04-2010 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I had a call from a friend yesterday who was quite excited about an on-line store that was offering top brand name cameras at very low prices. ie: Canon 50D + 18-200mm for €761. I had a look at the web site and came to the conclusion that it looked very suspicious. I won't post a direct link for obvious reasons.

http://exposedscammers.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/digitsys-technologies-webshop-review/

A word to the wise perhaps, but if you see a European shop selling expensive cameras at prices that are far lower than anybody else, you should stop and take time to consider whether you are dealing with a genuine seller or a scammer.

Happily, my friend didn't order anything. The only payment option available was bank wire transfer so he would have had no chance of recovering his money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Loads of them on Gumtree too. A lot of people on here buy used equip, and will check there and adverts. I responded to many a 'great bargain' on there only to receive the exact same e-mail from each one.

Went along the lines of "I am currently away in London but if you send on your details and payment I will have the camera sent on to you, it is brand new etc ..." ... Aye.

Some of them were stupidly priced, like a Sony A700 with a bunch of lenses and extras for €400.

I wonder how many people fall for their scam? and why, even after numerous reports, aren't they blocked from advertising on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭rubdub

also for people selling cameras etc on ebay, there is a lot of paypal hacking at the moment, recently the victim of one scam there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

rubdub wrote: »
    also for people selling cameras etc on ebay, there is a lot of paypal hacking at the moment, recently the victim of one scam there.

What do you mean? how?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I was about to buy a laptop off ebay last year, i had sent a few mails to the guy selling it and i had a bad feeling about it, he wanted a bank transfer rather than paypal and his english was awful but his name was very british. I had kind of half decided to go for it anyway as the guy had 100 percent feedback then i got a mail from the seller saying his account had been hacked and not to buy it.

Advertisement