Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An LGBT Radio station...what role can it play

Options
  • 26-04-2010 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I see a new LGBT/Community radio station is aiming to be launched sometime in June: www.openfm.ie; with the objective to 'celebrate openness through sound'...

- Do existing radio stations cater sufficiently for this section of society?

- How do the 'radio needs' of the LGBT community differ from other communities, as in What can differentiate an LGBT radio station from a ...eh? other radio stations?

- seems to be having a dj competition also..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Maybe this new station can redress the image that the Mooney Show seems to give about the LGBT community - that the only interests are Eurovision and Panto. Might be the most useful public service ever done through radio.
    Still, he does have in excess of 220,000 listeners - so maybe we all love these things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i think personally its a great idea,theres nothing out there like it at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RTÉ Pulse: Dave

RTE Pulse is already doing an LGBT schedule on wendesday nights.. has been for 2 years now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ocul

RTE Pulse is already doing an LGBT schedule on wendesday nights.. has been for 2 years now!

Wow, didin't know that...but thats on Digital alone, right?...is there much of a feedback on it, or uptake?...music or broader?...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Open is doing a 30 day temp right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

All Kylie all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Considering the LGBT population is estimated to be anywhere between 1.6% and 10% of the population I think it's a great idea!

EDIT: Is this Dublin or National?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm involved in this station and will be co-producing/presenting a show on Saturday.
    Grimes wrote: »

Correct. It was originally going to run for just the 10 days around Pride Week, but they decided to make the best use out of the temp license. The specific dates aren't confirmed as yet.
    rovert wrote:
    All Kylie all the time?

No, why would it be?

EDIT:
    Dr. Baltar wrote:
    EDIT: Is this Dublin or National?

Just Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Bard wrote: »

Just Dublin.

Disappointing. But I guess, they have to start off small first.
    Nevertheless, I may give it a listen now and again.

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Disappointing. But I guess, they have to start off small first.
    Nevertheless, I may give it a listen now and again.

I could be wrong but I don't know of any temp stations that have had national coverage.

This may be just the first of a few temp licenses for OpenFM with them eventually going for a pilot license with a view to going full-time some day... that would be their ideal destination, but for now they're not planning that far ahead.

Outside of Dublin, you will, of course hear it via the website. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ocul

Grimes wrote: »

i think it is , not sure... i'm only going on the website, but from what i believe its a temp license.

yeah its only a temp liscence they have,im invoved in the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I'm involved in this station and will be co-producing/presenting a show on Saturday.

Me too! A show called electrolux! Woo.

Edit: Mine's sunday.
    yeah its only a temp liscence they have,im invoved in the station

Heh heh, grammar. What are you doing on the station?

Fago! wrote: »
    Me too! A show called electrolux! Woo.

Heh heh, grammar. What are you doing on the station?

im sick,not functioning all to well today:pac: doing promotions and social networking with michaela

im sick,not functioning all to well today:pac: doing promotions and social networking with michaela

Awww. :)

Niiice. I don't know him or her.

I take off my trillby hat to Emma Carroll (A friend of mine), Liam Cahill and Sam Lyons (A former tutor) for setting it up. It's a great idea and I reckon it'll be a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Feel free to give a plug on the LGB Forum

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No, why would it be?

As that is essentially the format that LGBT stations on Sky Digital have.

rovert wrote: »
    As that is essentially the format that LGBT stations on Sky Digital have.

I've never heard of any LGBT radio station - on digital or otherwise - that had a format of "all Kylie all the time". Perhaps you could name one?

FYI, OpenFM has no plans of having their music formatting conforming to what people may see as stereotypical 'gay anthems'. If you're tuning in to hear constant Kylie, George Michael, Culture Club, Gloria Gaynor, Village People and the Weather Girls, you're tuning in to the wrong station.

I've never heard of any LGBT radio station - on digital or otherwise - that had a format of "all Kylie all the time". Perhaps you could name one?

Doesnt mean they dont exist.

Im not at home at the moment but I think one of them is Gaydar FM/Radio

Doesnt mean they dont exist.

Im not at home at the moment but I think one of them is Gaydar FM/Radio

Fair enough and good luck to them. As I said, OpenFM don't plan on doing that.

I'm sure "All Kylie, all the time" is a BIT of an exaggeration though!

• Advertisement

Fair enough and good luck to them. As I said, OpenFM don't plan on doing that.

I'm sure "All Kylie, all the time" is a BIT of an exaggeration though!

More bad "camp" dance music than anything else.
    FYI, OpenFM has no plans of having their music formatting conforming to what people may see as stereotypical 'gay anthems'. If you're tuning in to hear constant Kylie, George Michael, Culture Club, Gloria Gaynor, Village People and the Weather Girls, you're tuning in to the wrong station.

Obviously gay culture has far more to it than that but a blanket ban is wee bit homophobic, isnt it?

Obviously gay culture has far more to it than that but a blanket ban is wee bit homophobic, isnt it?

Please don't put words in my mouth. I just said that that type of music being played constantly won't make up the overall format of the station. Nobody said anything about a blanket ban.

Open FM is not "Gay Radio", it is a station to cater for the LGBT community. They are specifically aiming for not playing stereotypical "gay" music. You may hear the odd Wham! track, but that's it me thinks.

Fago! wrote: »
    Open FM is not "Gay Radio", it is a station to cater for the LGBT community. They are specifically aiming for not playing stereotypical "gay" music. You may hear the odd Wham! track, but that's it me thinks.

every station plays the odd wham! track though tbh:p

every station plays the odd wham! track though tbh:p

Some Wham! tracks are odder than others...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭energy69

We (that is a team of 70) will be creating a totally new and unheard sound in Dublin - our vision - "a space that celebrates openness through sound"

Our Schedule - www.openfm.ie/schedule - please feel free to submit your own programme ideas for the shows of your choice

Advertisement