Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin bus routes/Changes to Bus routes

Options
  • 26-04-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭

Announced today: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/

Looks like the 39 is no longer going through Blanchardstown shopping centre and is following a more direct route into town if I'm reading it correctly. Some promises like "10 min frequency or better on four core routes(37, 38, 39a, 17a)" but when you open up the details, you see 10 mins as best frequency with the 38 having a 20 minute frequency so they seem to have misunderstood the phrase "or better". More orbital services and most buses are now terminating on Leeson street rather than Hawkin's street.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Has anyone else seen what the proposed changes are for the area?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Blanchardstown/

Changes to the following services in the Blanchardstown area are proposed under the Network Direct Project (17a, 37, 38, 38a, 39, 39a, 70, 270 and 236).

These changes will deliver:

* A simpler network that is easier to understand
    * More frequent service
    * Meet customer demand and adjust journey patterns
    * More direct services
    * Improved punctuality and reliability

Through a comprehensive redesign, Dublin Bus has been able to achieve these requirements.

Please click here to view a diagram of proposed routes, stages and areas served in the Blanchardstown Area together with proposed weekday frequencies for these routes. Please note Xpresso routes are not shown on the diagram, Nitelink services remain unchanged and Routes 76/a/b, 239 will have no routing change but may have minor timetable changes.

Services in Blanchardstown will be enhanced with the following changes:

More Frequent Services
    Four core routes(37, 38, 39a, 17a) will have peak frequencies of 10 minutes or better

Improved Timetables
    All our timetables will be redesigned, they will be easier to understand and at consistent times past each hour so it will be easy to remember the time of your bus.

Meet customer demand and adjust journey patterns
    Full timetable services will now operate in Beechfield, Hazelbury, Latchford and Manorfields every day of the week.

* All services will operate to St. Stephen's Green or beyond.
    * An all day high frequency connection to UCD Belfield, high frequency service from Castleknock and Carpenterstown to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.
    * A high frequency orbital service from James Connolly hospital serving Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, Blanchardstown Institute Technology, Cappagh Hospital, Finglas, Dublin City University, Santry, Beaumont Hospital, Coolock and Kilbarrack (Howth Junction DART).
    * The high frequency direct Route 39a to UCD Belfield replaces the current 39x.
    * Route 37x is amalgamated into Route 37, operating direct to Wilton Terrace (Leeson Street)
    * Route 70x is amalgamated into Route 70, operating direct to Wilton Terrace (Leeson Street)

More Direct Services
    Faster journey times to the City Centre from Ongar, Beechfield, Hazelbury, Latchford, Manorfields, Hartstown, Huntstown, Dunboyne, Littlepace, Corduff and Mulhuddart.

A simpler network that is easier to understand
    While we have been able to increase the service levels to customers we have also managed to simplify the number of route variations. So from a current total of 11 route variations we will be able to offer the improved network with a total of 7 variants.

Improved punctuality and reliability
    All service changes will offer improved punctuality and reliability by maximising the use of priority on QBCs, operating at even frequencies and managing our buses with the use of GPS control systems.

Dublin Bus will now commence a communication process to inform customers of the proposed service changes in the Blanchardstown area. Dates for these meetings will be published on this website and in local press in the coming weeks.

New map:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5994/Blanchardstown%20Diagram.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Stark and Thaedydal, seems you are both on the same track today!
    I've merged both your threads, hope you dont mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Wilton Terrace is waaaaaay over the south side of dublin. I'll get nosebleeds if I have to go there for the bus home!

I'd often pick up the bus on College Green when going home - dont see that on the map, they must be heading down onto the quays again.

I know, I would often walk the extra 15 mins to get the bus at the terminus to be sure of the seat and at least you know when the bus is going to leave but that far over? Wonder where the will go after kildare st. Also it will be intresting to see who opts for the 'posh' bus the 37 rather then the 39 if both are an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

IS the 39b effected?

• Advertisement

Posh bus? Quite an oxymoron there! If you're posh you dont take the bus, Daddy drops you off at BT in the Volvo.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Posh bus? Quite an oxymoron there! If you're posh you dont take the bus, Daddy drops you off at BT in the Volvo.

:p you know what I mean
    fletch wrote: »
    IS the 39b effected?

That route won't exist any more looking at the new plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Gaspode wrote: »
    Daddy drops you off at BT in the Volvo.

Volvo? are ya mad? :p clearly gonna be a porsche or range rover or similar, that's if the haven't been repossessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I must say I'm slightly looking forward to the changes to the 70. The current service is extremely bad as it is, at least now with a frequency of a minimum of 20 minutes, max of 60 it won't be too bad...

A little annoyed that they'll all go through Littlepace, but at least no diversion through Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'm liking the changes.

Gained a bus route(17a).

The 38 going that bit further into the city centre suits me as well.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

The 17a has been extended from finglas and the 220 has been canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The 17a has been extended from finglas and the 220 has been canceled.
    Have they actually said that or are you just saying that because its not on the pdf?

Theres no 40d on the map either.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    Theres no 40d on the map either.

I doubt the 40d is affected as it'd probably be in the plans for Finglas or something.

Although then again, there's no sign of the 38c there either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Looks like the Clonsilla Road has gone as well.

I'm surprised, despite competing with the train, there are always quite a few people getting the bus there.

Murt

Those are the proposed routes for the area if the bus route isn't listed it's cos it not planned to be running.

The 40D is an odd one it's seen as finglas bus and so is not listed for the greater blanchardstown area.

Murt10 wrote: »
    Looks like the Clonsilla Road has gone as well.

I'm surprised, despite competing with the train, there are always quite a few people getting the bus there.

The Clonsilla Road might not have been removed. How else are the 39's going to go from the village to Blanch Rd. South and then onto Hartstown?

I assume that the locations mentioned on most of these routes are just to give a general idea of where the route will go, and I seriously doubt that they'd cut-off everywhere else not specifically mentioned that the route is already servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

The James Connolly hospital stop on that map :confused: Bit of a walk?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Where is Blanchardstown Road South??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Overall not a good sign for the Mulhuddart area.

Seems that the 238 linking Mulhuddart - Corduff - Blanchardstown Centre has been scrapped along with the 220 which means no direct link with Finglas/Ballymun or the Shopping Centre at all! The 220 in peak hours used to be packed to capacity with students going to the secondary schools and college in Finglas. It was also a good link for DCU as it stopped at Ballymun shopping centre which isn't too far a walk from there. 17a for those links is a no go as the 38/a will not serve the hospital OR the shopping centre so it can link up.

Also, off peak the Castlecurrage & Warrenstown areas will have no bus service as the 38 takes the right at the roundabout on Ladyswell Road onto Church Road and onto the Old Navan Road and then onto Blanchardstown Road North and into Corduff.

Where is Blanchardstown Road South??????

Runs form the Clonsilla road along where powercity is, the millenium park, the shopping centre and then becomes Blanchardstown road north which runs up to Blanch IT

link

The 17a runs close to DCU, infact closer to it then the 220 did and the distance to the secondary schools in finglas will be roughly the same.

• Advertisement

Still, there'll be no link from Mulhuddart to Finglas or Ballymun. You could get the 38 to the village and walk into the hospital but doesn't that seem a bit pointless? And again, no link from Mulhuddart to the Blanchardstown Centre, or Corduff to the Blanchardstown Centre if the 238 is scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Runs form the Clonsilla road along where powercity is, the millenium park, the shopping centre and then becomes Blanchardstown road north which runs up to Blanch IT

link

The 17a runs close to DCU, infact closer to it then the 220 did and the distance to the secondary schools in finglas will be roughly the same.

Thanks Thaedyal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

TheChrisD wrote: »
    The Clonsilla Road might not have been removed. How else are the 39's going to go from the village to Blanch Rd. South and then onto Hartstown?

I assume that the locations mentioned on most of these routes are just to give a general idea of where the route will go, and I seriously doubt that they'd cut-off everywhere else not specifically mentioned that the route is already servicing.

Through the village, past the police station and up the Snugborough Rd. Having said that, you are probably right, the Snugborough Road is not mentioned either.

Murt

I think the plan is for the 39 to take the old 39a route and by pass the village all together.

The James Connolly hospital stop on that map :confused: Bit of a walk?!

What do you mean?
    Overall not a good sign for the Mulhuddart area.

Seems that the 238 linking Mulhuddart - Corduff - Blanchardstown Centre has been scrapped along with the 220 which means no direct link with Finglas/Ballymun or the Shopping Centre at all! The 220 in peak hours used to be packed to capacity with students going to the secondary schools and college in Finglas. It was also a good link for DCU as it stopped at Ballymun shopping centre which isn't too far a walk from there. 17a for those links is a no go as the 38/a will not serve the hospital OR the shopping centre so it can link up.

I think the 238 is being replaced in a way by the 270 and 236 services. The 270 now continues on from the Centre to ITB and then on towards Tyrrelstown, so there's still a bit of service there which you can take to the Centre and then wait there for the 17a.

As for the 17a linking with the 38, depending on what exacting routing it takes in Blanch, you may still be able to link up with it in the village, or if not that then on the Blanch Road North. At least I think the 38 still hits one or two stops around there?
    I think the plan is for the 39 to take the old 39a route and by pass the village all together.

No, the PDF specifically has the normal 39 still serving Blanch Village. The 39a remains on the bypass.

As far as I can see from that spider map though, neither the 270 or the 236 will pass through Mulhuddart (either Mulhuddart Village or down the Ladyswell Road like the 238) so it's still the loss of a very much used bus route to the centre.

Should probably stop harping on about it but for someone who doesn't drive and is trying to push a double buggy to and from the centre, it'll be a slog and the bus was so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

TheChrisD wrote: »
    What do you mean?

The map shows the hospital on the far side of the Blanch Centre. Shouldn't it be down at the bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The map shows the hospital on the far side of the Blanch Centre. Shouldn't it be down at the bypass?

its not to scale, Ongar is above the blanch center but on the maps its below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moving the 38 to 20 mins? Another blow for Waterville :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement