Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin bus routes/Changes to Bus routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kizza

I read back in the summer on here the bus routes were changing. Its not what I have the problem with. All weekend I watched listened to the radio, last week i got the bus three times, my aunt would have told me on Friday that the route was changing but no she didnt know anything either. I knew it was happening just didn't know when. There was a major lack of advertisement about the change I saw nothing on TV heard nothing on radio saw nothing on the net.I saw two ads about the 38a on the 70 bus last week, 38 has no concern to me so didnt pick it up.

Have I been under a rock?

Where's the Dame St? equivalent stop? like if I got the bus in Dame st where do i get it home now?>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Kizza wrote: »
    I read back in the summer on here the bus routes were changing. Its not what I have the problem with. All weekend I watched listened to the radio, last week i got the bus three times, my aunt would have told me on Friday that the route was changing but no she didnt know anything either. I knew it was happening just didn't know when. There was a major lack of advertisement about the change I saw nothing on TV heard nothing on radio saw nothing on the net.I saw two ads about the 38a on the 70 bus last week, 38 has no concern to me so didnt pick it up.

Have I been under a rock?

There were full page adverts in the national papers last week, and a two page advertisement in the Metro on Friday.

Where's the Dame St? equivalent stop? like if I got the bus in Dame st where do i get it home now?>

Suffolk Street is the nearest alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Dame street would have been the second and third stops after the terminus it's college green beside trinity college outside the ulster bank.

The equivalent stop- there is a sidestreet beside the ulster bank, if you go around that side street and turn left and walk up a bit you'll see two bus stops it's the furthest buusstop.

It's right beside the start of grafton street!

• Advertisement

med1 wrote: »
    the finglas plan says 10peak 20 off peak
    cant see how the 220 caused this problem it is more down to broken promises how do the other routes fare out
    original promises

39a peak 10 off peak 10
    37 peak 10 off peak 20
    39 peak 20 off 20
    38 peak 20 off 20
    38a 20 all day
    70 peak 20 off 60
    236 peak 20 off 60
    270 peak 60 off 60

lets match to the new

39a peak 5 to 10 off peak 20
    37 peak 10 off peak 20
    39 peak 7 to 15 mins off 30 mins
    38 peak 20 off 40
    38a peak 20 off 40
    70 peak 10 to 20 off 60
    236 peak 20 off no service
    270 peak 60 off 60

looking at the above it is a lot less than promised on most routes

I don't actually think that it changed that much:

The 39a operates every 5-10 minutes during the off-peak from 0930 to 1600 not every 20 minutes as you have above.

The 38a was originally to be peak only, with all off-peak services services being 38.

The 220 and 238 were reinstated - you've not added them to the original list.

Plans can be changed you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

thomasj wrote: »
    Fair enough but my main point here is, the 39a is getting out to blanch in record time because there's no passengers being picked up!

The 39a is leaving 2-3 minutes after the 39 and the 39 is picking up all of the passengers!

This happened to me on both nights resulting in 20 minute trips from town to huntstown.

There is also the fact that a lot of people dont' know what route the 39a takes. People will not get on a bus they are not familiar with, given that there was only a handful of 39a running mon - fri. The 39 has always been the bus they know so that is the one they get.

Personally having grown up in Finglas which has a smaller population the the Dublin 15 area I could not believe that there really was only 1 39 route and that there were not variations.

Dublin bus have lived up to my expectation of how mismanaged this was going to be, this level of confusion is unnecessary, the leaflets they sent out did not have enough information on them, there were no radio ads and not everyone reads the daily papers. I shudder to think how Dublin's older populations are coping with the changes and the inept way they have been rolled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JesusJuice

Took 40 minutes this morning to get to Blanch Village from Clonsilla train Station on the bog standard 39. I didn't realise the 39a takes the new ongar rd. now like the b used to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Having read some of the above posts, I decided to look at the new timetables a I'll be in town soon so I want to know where I can pick up a bus if I'm coming home after a few scoops.
    Now I know i've said this before, but that DB website is a frickin' disaster.

I know I can go all the way over to Baggot Street, but I dont want to walk that far. But after the terminus how are you supposed to know where the next stops are? The timetable says the next stage (e.g. for 39) is O'Connell Bridge. Is that where the stop is??
    The route planner is a joke - you cant plan a route home if you dont know where the stop is in the city centre in the first place, and putting in something like 'City centre to Blanchardstown' is of no help whatsoever.

Worst. Website. Ever!

/end rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Gaspode wrote: »
    I know I can go all the way over to Baggot Street, but I dont want to walk that far. But after the terminus how are you supposed to know where the next stops are?

I think they expect you to hit the "View on Map" button and find your stop that way.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Having read some of the above posts, I decided to look at the new timetables a I'll be in town soon so I want to know where I can pick up a bus if I'm coming home after a few scoops.
    Now I know i've said this before, but that DB website is a frickin' disaster.

I know I can go all the way over to Baggot Street, but I dont want to walk that far. But after the terminus how are you supposed to know where the next stops are? The timetable says the next stage (e.g. for 39) is O'Connell Bridge. Is that where the stop is??
    The route planner is a joke - you cant plan a route home if you dont know where the stop is in the city centre in the first place, and putting in something like 'City centre to Blanchardstown' is of no help whatsoever.

Worst. Website. Ever!

/end rant!

The 37, 39, 39a and 70 serve the following stops outbound:
    All stops on Baggot Street from Pembroke Row onwards, Pembroke Street, Leeson Street Lower, Dawson Street (Hodges Figgis), Suffolk Street and then Aston Quay.

Inbound they serve Bachelor's Walk, College Street, Nassau Street, Kildare Street, Merrion Row, Baggot Street to the first stop on Waterloo Road.

The 38 and 38a serve outbound:
    All stops on Baggot Street from Pembroke Row onwards, Pembroke Street, Leeson Street Lower, Dawson Street (Hodges Figgis), Suffolk Street and then O'Connell Street (as before).

Inbound they serve O'Connell Street, College Street, Nassau Street, Kildare Street, Merrion Row, Baggot Street to the first stop on Waterloo Road.

Click on the "view map" button on each timetable to see the stops.

just one of your many posts thomas.
    all i'd say here to anyone is dont count your chickens before they hatch. remember it was a mon night ,one of the quietest nights there is, also there are quite a number of people who still dont know about the changes yet. lots and lots are still going to the old stops in dame street. wait till everyone cops on then what you'll have is the crowds from lord edward st and a few other places all going for the one stop at aston quay.
    this good run of fortune is not going to last, so if your bus does make great timing please enjoy it while it lasts ;)

I agree that the information aspect is a shambles and as a result of it many are inconvienced , there was a woman waiting on a 69 at the 39 stop, put her hand out as it approached and it flew past her!

I just find it strange both a 39 and a 39a depart Aston quay at half eleven!

It was just me posting about my own experiences. When I have negative experiences will post them here too!

This morning was tight because of the traffic, I have a longer walk but IMO it's worth it! I have had too many experiences of 30 minute waits, buses not showing, late for work, taking taxis etc

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I think they expect you to hit the "View on Map" button and find your stop that way.

i tried that its not clear. I walked down to Dawson street while the new bus stop is there only the 70 x is mentioned on it :S very confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Any one got any experience of the new 38/38A routes as a result of Dublin Bus’s Network Review?

This came in last weekend, and both today and yesterday there were no buses from 7.50am to 8.30am from Blanchardstown. I had to be in work for 9am this morning and hence ended up getting a taxi, at a cost of €20. I used to have a very nice bus that came at 8.14 regular as clock work and got me into work for 8.50.

At the bus-stop which used to have 4-5 people, there were 47 people this morning. The taxi did not pass one bus on the way into town.

The journey home last night was 90 minutes – and my mother, who lives nearby was an hour waiting in O’Connell St for a bus. These buses when they arrive are so over crowded that the driver will only accept one or two passengers. The bus was standing room only and nearly everyone was on their phones trying to make arrangements for lifts etc.

I cannot afford to be taking a taxi to work every day. The traffic was so bad this morning that taking the car was not an option.

At the start of October, I phoned Dublin Bus to ask what was happening to the 38C as Connolly Hospital was closing its entrances/exits. I was told that (a) this wasn’t happening (b) this hadn’t be told to them (c) what did I (a customer!) think they should do and (d) someone would call me back – no-one did.

Yesterday and today I have emailed Dublin Bus about the current situation and also rung them five times – which goes straight to voicemail. Eventually I telephoned their press office through my ‘official entity’ – someone would call me back. Nothing.

There are no displays at the bus stops, no leaflets!

Dublin Bus get a Public Service Obligation subvention from the Government. For what?!

KC61 wrote: »
    There were full page adverts in the national papers last week, and a two page advertisement in the Metro on Friday.
    thats the only form of advertisements? not everyone gets papers daily, my sister or my aunt heard nothing about the changes. It was by chance my mum picked up Blanch Gazette yesterday. But its such a massive change throughout services there should have been more advertisements, I heard nothing on radio or TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

JesusJuice wrote: »
    Took 40 minutes this morning to get to Blanch Village from Clonsilla train Station on the bog standard 39.

Well.. nothing new there. That's why I always take the train for that journey.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Well.. nothing new there. That's why I always take the train for that journey.
    took the 70 almost an hour to get in no major difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

took the 70 almost an hour to get in no major difference

Im also on the 70, one hour to get in, but took me an hour and a half to get home last night, from Lr Pembroke street to the village..nightmare !! Used to get the 70x and it took one hour...will defo be looking into the train now

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

I should've read this thread earlier. I didn't realise the 39a went to the centre now. I let 3 of them go by while waiting for a regular 39 this morning. :)

That is the thing with the 39 at least when you were getting on at Hawkins street you knew you were going to get on it and usually get a seat. I've been on the far end of Dame street before it would turn under christhchurch and not been allowed on the bus as it's been too full. I woudl always walk to the terminus esp if I had my kids with me.

Now that it is a cross city route I'd have a lot futher to walk to try get on the bus and I can see many many frustrated people not being able to board the bus at Aston Quay.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know for sure the city centre stops for the 39 and 70 the website is of no use, Baggot st, is out of my way, where's the closest to the Dame St. stop to get the bus?

Suffolk Street and then Aston Quay and then the civil building further down the quay.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Suffolk+St,+Dublin+8,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&sll=53.342721,-6.265839&sspn=0.002037,0.00419&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Suffolk+St,+Dublin,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&ll=53.343653,-6.260448&spn=0.004074,0.008379&t=h&z=17

Suffolk street is pretty narrow, I can see it getting very clogged with people at the bus stop as they move around from Dame St at Ulsterbank.

Does anyone know for sure the city centre stops for the 39 and 70 the website is of no use, Baggot st, is out of my way, where's the closest to the Dame St. stop to get the bus?

I listed them all for you in post 284.

The nearest stop to Dame Street is the stop on Suffolk Street closest to the Tourist office (the old church).

With the maps - use the zoom facility to see individual stops in more detail or drag the map along to where you want to board.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Suffolk Street and then Aston Quay and then the civil building further down the quay.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Suffolk+St,+Dublin+8,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&sll=53.342721,-6.265839&sspn=0.002037,0.00419&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Suffolk+St,+Dublin,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&ll=53.343653,-6.260448&spn=0.004074,0.008379&t=h&z=17

Suffolk street is pretty narrow, I can see it getting very clogged with people at the bus stop as they move around from Dame St at Ulsterbank.

It does! I saw it firsthand yesterday the amount of passengers outside elverys was unreal ! Furthermore because of buses unable to overtake parked buses on Suffolk street this caused a tailback of buses back to dawson street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

vqpdnl.jpg

Just for clarity....

I was wondering what is the fare to do the whole 37 route.

My guess is, Over 13 Stages €2.20?

Yes - EUR 2.20

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

KC61 wrote: »
    Click on the "view map" button on each timetable to see the stops.

I did see that button at one point, but when I went looking for it again I couldn't find it. Then the website kept timing out on me so I left it, life's too short.

Thanks for the info on the stops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

first of all . all blanch routes do not stop in westmoreland street or d'olier street.
    inbound from dublin 15 to baggot street and beyond, beyond being the 39A.
    37's, 39/A's and 70's last stop is bachelors walk then next stop is college green at the old 10 stop and they continue to use the no.10 stops all the way upto baggot street and beyond.
    outbound from UCD to dublin 15 termini
    again all no.10 stops. dawson street stop in down towards nassau street, these buses will not stop at the stephens green end of dawson street. suffolk street as already pointed out previously. then
    when the 37's, 39's/A's and 70's turn on to aston quay their next stops are as follows.
    37's and 70's will only stop at ladbrokes bookies on aston quay and not any other stop before ha'penny bridge.
    39's/A's, these will only stop outside forbidden planet and again will not/should not use any other stop before ha'penny bridge.
    i understand alot of you are frustrated at the moment with buses not showing up or being late.
    please do not take your frustrations out on the drivers.
    this has absolutely nothing to do with the drivers. they are only trying to do their best in a bad situation.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the drivers. they are only trying to do their best in a bad situation.

+1 I do agree in the shambles of the information have found the drivers and inspectors to be very helpful guiding passengers

One other thing is that there were numerous blackspots of heavy traffic around Dublin including roadworks in huntstown area could cause trouble there was major traffic on the cabra road this morning was stuck in that area for nearly ten minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 superleeds16

first of all . all blanch routes do not stop in westmoreland street or d'olier street.
    inbound from dublin 15 to baggot street and beyond, beyond being the 39A.
    37's, 39/A's and 70's last stop is bachelors walk then next stop is college green at the old 10 stop and they continue to use the no.10 stops all the way upto baggot street and beyond.
    outbound from UCD to dublin 15 termini
    again all no.10 stops. dawson street stop in down towards nassau street, these buses will not stop at the stephens green end of dawson street. suffolk street as already pointed out previously. then
    when the 37's, 39's/A's and 70's turn on to aston quay their next stops are as follows.
    37's and 70's will only stop at ladbrokes bookies on aston quay and not any other stop before ha'penny bridge.
    39's/A's, these will only stop outside forbidden planet and again will not/should not use any other stop before ha'penny bridge.
    i understand alot of you are frustrated at the moment with buses not showing up or being late.
    think dublin bus shouldve given there drivers a better dig out with the blanch changes , nothing is listed on the new stops in town that the 39 or a even stops at them . i was in town monday an with it being so wet those little leaflets that was on the stops was in tatters. if it hadnt been for a previous post by thomasj on this i woudnt have known where to get on in town

Advertisement