Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin bus routes/Changes to Bus routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 superleeds16

thomasj wrote: »
    +1 I do agree in the shambles of the information have found the drivers and inspectors to be very helpful guiding passengers

One other thing is that there were numerous blackspots of heavy traffic around Dublin including roadworks in huntstown area could cause trouble there was major traffic on the cabra road this morning was stuck in that area for nearly ten minutes
    nice one was in town monday if it wasnt for one of your previous threads wouldnt have known where to get the 39 a bus from suffolk st . fair play thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Suffolk street is pretty narrow, I can see it getting very clogged with people at the bus stop as they move around from Dame St at Ulsterbank.

I think rather it's more of a "it'll get clogged all day as opposed to just the evening rush for the Xpresso buses" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I got the 39a into town yesterday evening, picked up a few stops before the centre at 6:35pm, it went in aroung by pcworld/currys and then took the turn at that Q building and the next stop was the Travel lodge.

6:35 Got on the bus
    6:48 the half way house
    6:57 Hanlon's Corner
    7:02 hit the quays
    7:06 Got off that Bachelors quay.

Yes it was against the flow of traffic and yes it was raining and not much on the road
    but I have never been on a bus going into the city centre which took less time then 40 mins the average is usually 70 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kizza

The 70 took 1hr and 20 mins leaving Baggot street at 15.50 to arrive in Dunboyne yesterday evening, 20 mins to get down to Suffolk street, and an hour later it arrived in Duboyne I know it was peak traffic, but I thought this was meant to quicken our journey not lenghten it! lets hope it was weather that caused the delay and it was a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

But how long did it take from Aston Quay?

That's the realistic comparison with the old terminus at Hawkins Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

KC61 wrote: »
    But how long did it take from Aston Quay?

That's the realistic comparison with the old terminus at Hawkins Street.

Not if she used to get the 70X ! new 70 will stop at any stop, the X had set stops so my trip is much longer now :mad:

gaz wac wrote: »
    Not if she used to get the 70X ! new 70 will stop at any stop, the X had set stops so my trip is much longer now :mad:

At 1550?? The 70X didn't operate that early.

Out of curiosity, how much longer is the 70 taking over the 70X?

this is true :)

running to get the 5.10...let you know in morning :P

Kizza wrote: »
    The 70 took 1hr and 20 mins leaving Baggot street at 15.50 to arrive in Dunboyne yesterday evening, 20 mins to get down to Suffolk street, and an hour later it arrived in Duboyne I know it was peak traffic, but I thought this was meant to quicken our journey not lenghten it! lets hope it was weather that caused the delay and it was a once off

Actually that sounds about normal for a wet journey given the extra time from Baggot to Suffolk, as well as Littlepace, taking out Blanch.

The old 4pm 70a used to get into Dunboyne about five past 5.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I must say I'm slightly looking forward to the changes to the 70. The current service is extremely bad as it is, at least now with a frequency of a minimum of 20 minutes, max of 60 it won't be too bad...

A little annoyed that they'll all go through Littlepace, but at least no diversion through Blanch.

Why are ya annoyed that it goes through Littlepace? It's handier for the hundreds of people who live there that depend on the bus to get to college and work - we've never had a half-decent bus service! We either had to get the 3 or 4 70s in the morning that come through Littlepace or walk down to Huntstown and get the 39. It's only an extra 5 minutes on your journey.

• Advertisement

Kizza wrote: »

Just to add that the bus is given 1 hour 25 minutes to do the entire trip - it is due back at 17:15 so that is just about spot on.

KidKeith89 wrote: »
    Why are ya annoyed that it goes through Littlepace?

Because as someone who lives on the route past Littlepace I see it as a diversion around and an extra few minutes onto the journey. It's why I used to pick the vanilla 70 to the Centre as opposed to the 270 as it meant less time on the bus itself.

Of course all this is a moot point now, seeing as I posted that back in April, and since then I've gone from having an irregular bus service to a train every half-hour...

Dublin Bus are a wonderful advertisement for the new train service. Again it took an hour and twenty minutes. I got on the 17.10 service to Dunboyne at Suffolk st. which I think is the 3rd stop, and I had no seat until the top of Prussia Street. It was like a tin of sardines when it was meant to be a better service. If I got on the bus Hawkins or the end of Dame st, or by the law society at peak times I got a seat on the bus. I will admit I like the way it services all of town from capel st, o'connell st, dame st and st stephen's green, but the journey time has not improved as the bus needs to go into Littlepace. I'm going to get the train from now on.

Just to add that the bus is given 1 hour 25 minutes to do the entire trip - it is due back at 17:15 so that is just about spot on.
    yeah i figured that out, and I hated the hour on the bus, I rather get go to Tara St, station get off in Clonsilla and get the Dunboyne train home, it takes less than an hour to do it. So less time, If Dublin Bus customers living in Dunboyne don't want to a long journey get the train!

At 1550?? The 70X didn't operate that early.

Out of curiosity, how much longer is the 70 taking over the 70X?

Got the 70 again last night, actually was on the same bus as Kizza..i think :confused:

the 4.50 bus from Baggot street was delayed (friend on bus told me)so got to Pembroke street at 5.15 ( the normal time for the 5.10 bus ) and got in into Village at just under 6.40 so an 1.25 hrs trip. If i got the 70x at 5.15, I would have got into the village at 5.05 - 5.10, so a trip of 50 mins, so an increase of about 30 mins.:(

Got the 7.30 bus this morning and was on Baggot St for 8.35 so a trip of 1.05 hours. If that was the old 70x it left the village at 7.45 and I got to top of Pembroke st for 7.40 a trip of c.55 mins..so not too bad, extra 10 mins.

Its the evenings that are a killer..so will change my hours and get the train at 5pm down in Docklands and bus it in, in mornings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Have to contribute after this mornings debacle in blanchardstown, got to the snugborough road stop at 7:35 and was told by there had been no 38a down yet and i had just missed a 38...fair enough..

Stood until 8:05 and another 38 came which was rammed so couldnt get on, 5 minutes later another full 38 didnt even bother to stop.

Walked to the village to get a 39 and ended up getting into work 1 hour and fifty minutes after getting to the bus stop.

No information available as there are no timetables up at the stops, no sign of any 38a buses`or any inspectors apart from the guy in the village who trotted out the standard "we are working to improve the service, bear with us".

As far as i see it dublin bus have taken a below average service and made it somehow worse. No thought has been given to the people actually using the service and the frustration of the commuters is being taken out on the drivers.

Train for me from tommorow onwards.

gaz wac wrote: »
    Got the 70 again last night, actually was on the same bus as Kizza..i think :confused:

the 4.50 bus from Baggot street was delayed (friend on bus told me)so got to Pembroke street at 5.15 ( the normal time for the 5.10 bus ) and got in into Village at just under 6.40 so an 1.25 hrs trip. If i got the 70x at 5.15, I would have got into the village at 5.05 - 5.10, so a trip of 50 mins, so an increase of about 30 mins.:(

Got the 7.30 bus this morning and was on Baggot St for 8.35 so a trip of 1.05 hours. If that was the old 70x it left the village at 7.45 and I got to top of Pembroke st for 7.40 a trip of c.55 mins..so not too bad, extra 10 mins.

Its the evenings that are a killer..so will change my hours and get the train at 5pm down in Docklands and bus it in, in mornings

exactly i dont think we will be the only ones doing it, for anyone who is working near dame st, pearse st or tara st area. You can avail of the train service from Pearse st or Tara st, and in the evening there is only about a max of 5 mins and you can get off from Ashtown to Clonsilla thers is not that long of a wait instead of going to Docklands if its inconvient

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Bus service in Ireland is a joke. An absolute joke, run by incompetent morons, who cant walk down a flight of stairs and chew gum at the same time.

I could start listing problems with the bus service but Id just exhaust myself. Taking the bus in Scandinavia or Germany, netherlands, belgium etc is pretty self explanatory (like exactly where that bus stops along its route.. And ETA) and the timetables are accurate down to the minute. Like "Bus arrives here at: 15.33". And even more surprising, they usually are on time!?

Whats their secret sauce, and can we get some please? This is embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

talk about turnarounds the dublin bus staff at the finglas roadshow today state that the 220 will remain on its new timetable as long as the demand is there.
    on another note they agree the 17a is useless as it only serves main roads and no residential areas in blanch shown by how few are using it

Re the usefulness of the 17a - for goodness sakes it has only been running for 4.5 days - you can never judge a bus/rail service in that length of time.

Some people would disagree with you in that many of the orbital services go far too much into housing estates and that is why people don't use them.

There is probably room for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ive said this before, but to back up how useless the 17a is from my house viewpoint.

My Dad needs to get to Beaumont hospital, he heard the 17a was covering that and coming down near our estate (Brookhaven area). So that sounded great, a five minute walk and a direct bus to Beaumount.

Now the new times are out and the 17a only goes up by the nac and by passes Corduff or @ least most of it. SO, ok you can get it in the Centre, and then we find out there’s no 238, as that now follows the same route as the 17a. My Mam is on a walking stick so she can’t walk, so walking to the shopping centre isn’t an option.

I’m the only driver in the house and I’m in college. SO now instead of a five minute walk to the stop and/ or linking the 238 with the 17a, I’ve to drop them @ Cappagh hospital on my way into college.So much for new improved timetables!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Don't understand why they start the 37 route on Mespil. Its a nightmare to get out on to at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

To summarize the last few pages:

39a: 39a seems to be pretty useful, but maybe because quite a few people haven't figured it out yet.
    38/a: Rubbish
    70: Incredibly slow
    17a: Route isn't useful to most passengers

I personally take the 39a and 17a daily, finding them both very reliable - such an improvement to the old services (39 and 220). The most I've had to wait for a 39a so far is 7 minutes - I know it's early days but it's not looking too bad so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

jeffk wrote: »
    Ive said this before, but to back up how useless the 17a is from my house viewpoint.

My Dad needs to get to Beaumont hospital, he heard the 17a was covering that and coming down near our estate (Brookhaven area). So that sounded great, a five minute walk and a direct bus to Beaumount.

Now the new times are out and the 17a only goes up by the nac and by passes Corduff or @ least most of it. SO, ok you can get it in the Centre, and then we find out there’s no 238, as that now follows the same route as the 17a. My Mam is on a walking stick so she can’t walk, so walking to the shopping centre isn’t an option.

I’m the only driver in the house and I’m in college. SO now instead of a five minute walk to the stop and/ or linking the 238 with the 17a, I’ve to drop them @ Cappagh hospital on my way into college.So much for new improved timetables!!

Can your dad get a 38 to the snugborough road?

I agree though the 238 should be serving corduff!

Re the usefulness of the 17a - for goodness sakes it has only been running for 4.5 days - you can never judge a bus/rail service in that length of time.

Some people would disagree with you in that many of the orbital services go far too much into housing estates and that is why people don't use them.

There is probably room for both.

Yes, but very small and simple changes to the route could vastly improve it's effectiveness. Like sending it through Blanchardstown Village instead of slipping up the N3. I mean that's just the epitome of laziness. It's stopping in the Centre and serving the hospital anyway, what's wrong with sending it through the village for the short trip down the road to the centre?

Based on how empty I've seen 17a's leaving the Centre, you could double the amount of passengers on one by going through the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, but very small and simple changes to the route could vastly improve it's effectiveness. Like sending it through Blanchardstown Village instead of slipping up the N3. I mean that's just the epitome of laziness. It's stopping in the Centre and serving the hospital anyway, what's wrong with sending it through the village for the short trip down the road to the centre?

Based on how empty I've seen 17a's leaving the Centre, you could double the amount of passengers on one by going through the village.

And increase the journey time by nearly 15 minutes if you want! Was in Blanchardstown village today at around 12pm and passing by the Garda station on the way to the centre is ALWAYS backed up and takes ages to clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Esp as the lights along the clonislla road have not been altered to take into consideration the extra traffic opening up the top of it from one way has had.
    I was on a 39 that took 30 mins to get from the fire station to the right turn at the garda station into the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm not sure if that's the case. On the 220, most of the passengers got on in Mulhuddart/Huntstown/Hartstown, and not really in Blanch Village. Would there really be many people in Blanch Village who would get the 17a? And like adrieanne__x says, it would increase the journey time a lot as the village traffic is always busy.

I find the best thing about these new routes is that they've at least tried to remove the bad traffic spots - the 39a avoids Clonsilla Village, and takes the quickest route in Blanch Shopping Centre, for example.

I suppose they could run the 17a in a way that it stopped in every estate, but at least I want to use the buses for commuting, not sightseeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

thomasj wrote: »
    Can your dad get a 38 to the snugborough road?

I agree though the 238 should be serving corduff!

I suppose they could do that, but then its very hard to time a 38 to get you to the 17a stop without having to stand there for ages. Good idea all the same.

I wonder would a private operator not take this up, or even if the centre paid for a bus and got the buses to pay for it with ads on the side in retun. Ive seen some pubs run buses(anglers rest I think?), so why not the shops, its great brownie points in the local community. There was something like it many many years ago when crazy prices in Finglas was the nearest place for people to shop from Blanch.

• Advertisement

A further point re the 17a is that the improved 76 has not yet started. That will establish a complete reasonably frequent outer orbital network between the 17a - 76 - 75 or 175.

Advertisement