Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin bus routes/Changes to Bus routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Have to contribute after this mornings debacle in blanchardstown, got to the snugborough road stop at 7:35 and was told by there had been no 38a down yet and i had just missed a 38...fair enough..

Stood until 8:05 and another 38 came which was rammed so couldnt get on, 5 minutes later another full 38 didnt even bother to stop.

Walked to the village to get a 39 and ended up getting into work 1 hour and fifty minutes after getting to the bus stop.

No information available as there are no timetables up at the stops, no sign of any 38a buses`or any inspectors apart from the guy in the village who trotted out the standard "we are working to improve the service, bear with us".

As far as i see it dublin bus have taken a below average service and made it somehow worse. No thought has been given to the people actually using the service and the frustration of the commuters is being taken out on the drivers.

Train for me from tommorow onwards.

38/a westbound seems to be having a fairly disastrous start under the new system also.
    In O'Connell Street at 7.05 and no bus showed until 7.45; officially the service is every 10 minutes.
    Its gone from being one of the best routes to a shambles in the space of 4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

38/a westbound seems to be having a fairly disastrous start under the new system also.
    In O'Connell Street at 7.05 and no bus showed until 7.45; officially the service is every 10 minutes.
    Its gone from being one of the best routes to a shambles in the space of 4 days.

A mate of mine put it well, "they tweaked it with a sledgehammer".

ITs a mess and how they are claiming to be improving a service by reducing the numbers of buses and longer wait times is beyond me.

Again this morning managed to get a 38a which was packed to the gills before it even got to the snugborough road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've just had my first experience of the new and improved Dublin Bus Network Direct. I arrived at the bus stop on Baggot Street (either the 1st or 2nd stop on the route) at 17:45 and here were the buses scheduled and their status:

17:50 38 - didn't come
    18:00 38A - didn't come
    18:10 38 - didn't come
    18:30 38A - A 38A finally arrived at 18:50 so I presume it was this one.

So well done Dublin Bus! You are a complete an utter useless organisation. Back to the car Monday then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hope this is not OT, bit just for reference it takes me about 40/45 mins to cycle in from Carpenter Pub to Baggot St and 50/60 mins home. Don't do it every day, and I'd be pretty slow. But its as consistent as clock work, and a pretty nice route for cycling. If you were in any way fit you could knock 10 mins each way off those times. Just to put the bus times, and especially the waiting times into perspective. I'm hoping, the 37 should prove handy for drinks after work and collecting the car or bike the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I've just had my first experience of the new and improved Dublin Bus Network Direct. I arrived at the bus stop on Baggot Street (either the 1st or 2nd stop on the route) at 17:45 and here were the buses scheduled and their status:

17:50 38 - didn't come
    18:00 38A - didn't come
    18:10 38 - didn't come
    18:30 38A - A 38A finally arrived at 18:50 so I presume it was this one.

So well done Dublin Bus! You are a complete an utter useless organisation. Back to the car Monday then!

Thats kinda weird because there was a 38 in Dawson Street at 18.05 so you must have just missed it, or else it didn't start at the terminus.

I didn't get on it as I hate the 38 and the way it goes through Castleknock, so I walked to O'Connell Street and waited for a 38A. Over the next hour I regretted my decision as no 38A came til 19.05 (obviously the one you got at 18.50 in Baggot Street).

This bus was so crowded by the time it left O'Connell St that I don't think it stopped at all at the Rotunda stop, god only knows what time those people had to wait until.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Was in the 5.00 17a blanch to kilbarrack good numbers on the whole leg of the journey including the departure from blanch!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Red Actor

Kizza wrote: »
    Dublin Bus are a wonderful advertisement for the new train service. Again it took an hour and twenty minutes. I got on the 17.10 service to Dunboyne at Suffolk st. which I think is the 3rd stop, and I had no seat until the top of Prussia Street. It was like a tin of sardines when it was meant to be a better service. If I got on the bus Hawkins or the end of Dame st, or by the law society at peak times I got a seat on the bus. I will admit I like the way it services all of town from capel st, o'connell st, dame st and st stephen's green, but the journey time has not improved as the bus needs to go into Littlepace. I'm going to get the train from now on.
    I havent used the service recently so I might be wrong but all 70's now go to Littlepace and avoid Blanch village and shopping centre. I would have thought that the Littlepace detour would be quicker than the one for Blanch. The problem lies elsewhere. Btw I normally cycel from Littlepace to Clonsilla to get the train because I had two buses which would get me to work on time - without waiting outsife for the manager to arrive with the keyes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What the hell happened to the 37 and 39 stops on Dame Street at the Ulster Bank? I went to use this stop yesterday evening in the lashing rain and noticed to my dismay that it had gone.:mad::(

I walked up and down Dame street to see if the stop fior the 37 had been moved slightly up or down the street but to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's around the corner on suffocks st outside the elvery sports shop, the next stop after this is on Aston quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Jaysus thats bad form moving stops and not have some large posters with a map to the new stops.
    Leave the posters up for a few weeks as not everyone uses the buses everyday. Cheap and good manners, as if everyone is supposed to know about the changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's around the corner on suffocks st outside the elvery sports shop, the next stop after this is on Aran quay.
    thaedyal i think you got the quays mixed up, it's actually aston quay outside ladbrokes for 37'a and 70's. 39/A's are outside forbidden planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cheers for pointing that out I always mix those two up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Cheers for pointing that out I always mix those two up.
    we all do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Soylent_Green

KidKeith89 wrote: »
    Why are ya annoyed that it goes through Littlepace? It's handier for the hundreds of people who live there that depend on the bus to get to college and work - we've never had a half-decent bus service! We either had to get the 3 or 4 70s in the morning that come through Littlepace or walk down to Huntstown and get the 39. It's only an extra 5 minutes on your journey.

The thing that annoys me with the journey down through Littlepace is the number of stops. Commuters in Dunboyne have a choice of two bus stops, whereas in Littlepace it seems to stop outside every front door. My walk to the bus in the morning was about 16 minutes. Why can the same apply in Littlepace??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Couldnt agree more !! been saying this for years. there should be three stops, one at Spar going in, one at the very bottom roundabout and one on the otherside of the Spar stop on the way out.....or make them walk out to the stop at Little Pace stud !...i have 10 mins to walk to my stop, why shouldnt they?

I believe the reason behind the maddness is because there was meant to be a road out to the N3 at the end of little pace, but builder decided to build more houses !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

They have moved the 37/38/38a/39/39a/70 upto the busstop at the top of suffolk street beside pizza hut

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Red Actor

The thing that annoys me with the journey down through Littlepace is the number of stops. Commuters in Dunboyne have a choice of two bus stops, whereas in Littlepace it seems to stop outside every front door. My walk to the bus in the morning was about 16 minutes. Why can the same apply in Littlepace??
    There's 6 stops in Littlepace. The spar (with one opposite), just past the school which is about 200 metres away (with one opposite) another about 500 metres away and one at the bottom. I've seen people stand at the stop opposite the spar before the bus arrived at spar and not cross the road but wait for the bus to come back up on "their" side of the road. I would see no problem in getting rid of two stops (the ones where there is one across the road) with a minimum of disruption to customers but a minimum improvement in journey times. I would say that the bus rarely stops at spar on the way out in the evenings so removing that stop has no effect.

Is the bus via littlepace a shorter journey time than through Blanch and the shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kizza

Can anyone tell me how long the buses 37, 39 or 70 are taking to reach Blackhall Place the Law society stop (the first stop after the liffey). I often get the bus from there, I've not got the patience to use the bus service all the way from town - and need to be able to time the buses if I'm down there thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kizza

Red Actor wrote: »
    There's 6 stops in Littlepace. The spar (with one opposite), just past the school which is about 200 metres away (with one opposite) another about 500 metres away and one at the bottom. I've seen people stand at the stop opposite the spar before the bus arrived at spar and not cross the road but wait for the bus to come back up on "their" side of the road. I would see no problem in getting rid of two stops (the ones where there is one across the road) with a minimum of disruption to customers but a minimum improvement in journey times. I would say that the bus rarely stops at spar on the way out in the evenings so removing that stop has no effect.

Is the bus via littlepace a shorter journey time than through Blanch and the shopping centre?

It honestly makes no difference to be honest its the exact same time frame hasnt made much improvement. I dont understand why the 39 A couldn't have made that stretch from littlepace to Belfield it would have been a better more frequent service. There are too many bus stops. The stretch of littlepace is 15 mins walk and Im a slow walker, three would do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Is the 236 still operating? I haven't seen one since Tuesday.. I've switched to 17a now as I'm tired of waiting for ghost buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Red Actor wrote: »
    There's 6 stops in Littlepace. ?

There are 7 stops in Little pace, three going down and four on the way out !! redic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Polar101 wrote: »
    Is the 236 still operating? I haven't seen one since Tuesday.. I've switched to 17a now as I'm tired of waiting for ghost buses.
    236 has become patchy service - it still runs, but not nearly as frequently during the peak times, and even then whenever it 'breaks down' or similar you're left high and dry.

Lot of that been happening lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Am I right in saying that the 17A is handy for anybody going to DCU? I think there is a stop as it turns left off Glasnevin Ave onto Ballymun Rd which isn't too far from DCU.

Without a car getting to DCU from Blanch is a bit awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Yep that is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

py2006 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the 17A is handy for anybody going to DCU? I think there is a stop as it turns left off Glasnevin Ave onto Ballymun Rd which isn't too far from DCU.

Without a car getting to DCU from Blanch is a bit awkward!

I'm not sure about what exact routing it takes, but it's definitely handier than the 220 used to be for going to DCU. No idea how it compares to the old trick of bus to Phibsborough and then bus from there.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I'm not sure about what exact routing it takes, but it's definitely handier than the 220 used to be for going to DCU. No idea how it compares to the old trick of bus to Phibsborough and then bus from there.

It is definitely more direct than the 220.

Blanchardstown Centre - N3 - Connolly Hospital - Snugborough Road - Ballycoolin Road - Cappagh Road - Mellowes Road - Ballygall Road West - Glasnevin Avenue and left to Ballymun Road.

Google maps route here.

Zoom in to see routing in more detail.

236 is still operating - timetable is here

It now has 20 minutes to do the circular trip from Blanchardstown Centre via Ballycoolin and I suspect it is having problems keeping to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

KC61 wrote: »

I've seen the timetable, but not the buses despite being at the stops at the supposed hours. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've seen the timetable, but not the buses despite being at the stops at the supposed hours. :)

LOL. :D

In fairness with the traffic, its not always their fault.

• Advertisement

The second half of my post made the point that it is probably running late as I don't think 20 minutes is sufficient to do the whole loop.

Advertisement