Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin bus routes/Changes to Bus routes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BostonB wrote: »
    Polar101 wrote: »

LOL. :D

In fairness with the traffic, its not always their fault.

In the past 2 weeks I've been at the first stop out of town on the 38/38A route and the buses haven't arrived. That can't be the traffic's fault.

And the excuse that the buses get delayed on the way in isn't an acceptable excuse. The timetable one way shouldn't be dependent on the bus's progress the other way going smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

BostonB wrote: »

In the past 2 weeks I've been at the first stop out of town on the 38/38A route and the buses haven't arrived. That can't be the traffic's fault.

And the excuse that the buses get delayed on the way in isn't an acceptable excuse. The timetable one way shouldn't be dependent on the bus's progress the other way going smoothly.

Of course the the timetable in one direction is dependent on the progress in the other direction. Where do you think the buses materialise from? Thin air?

If the running time allowed for the bus to get from one end of the route to the other is not realistic, then this will have repercussions for later services. This seems to be the main source of the problems on both the N11 and N3 corridors. The schedule does not appear to allow buses sufficient time to get from one end of the route to the other at certain times - that is the proble

KC61 wrote: »

Of course the the timetable in one direction is dependent on the progress in the other direction. Where do you think the buses materialise from? Thin air?

They shouldn't set up the timetable so that the 10am bus say is relying on the 9am from town arriving on time. The 10am bus should rely on the 8:40 bus or whatever. There should be some sort of overlap to ensure that these delays don't go on and on.

If that's the case, well the timetable should consist of a time for the 1st bus in the morning only and then 'whenever the next one gets in from it's previous journey'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The problem is there is no where for the buses to be parked between the times they arrive and the time they are to leave. Part of the point of extending so many of the routes was to have the buses flowing through the city rather then being parked all over the place from 3pm onwards to make sure that there were buses for the rush hour.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The problem is there is no where for the buses to be parked between the times they arrive and the time they are to leave. Part of the point of extending so many of the routes was to have the buses flowing through the city rather then being parked all over the place from 3pm onwards to make sure that there were buses for the rush hour.

But if they're all stuck in traffic and running late, that won't be an issue.....!!!!

• Advertisement

They shouldn't set up the timetable so that the 10am bus say is relying on the 9am from town arriving on time. The 10am bus should rely on the 8:40 bus or whatever. There should be some sort of overlap to ensure that these delays don't go on and on.

If that's the case, well the timetable should consist of a time for the 1st bus in the morning only and then 'whenever the next one gets in from it's previous journey'.

You are finally understanding the point that I have made. The problem is that the internal rosters are not giving sufficient time for the bus to do the entire journey for some of the routes. This therefore has knock-on effects on subsequent departures. Now the question is how long before the company address this and get realistic rosters that allow the public timetable to be delivered reliably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Got the new route 37 once. Took 1hr 20min at 4.45 ish to Baggot St. Kinda what I expect with the traffic out of town south side. Someone else told me it took 45 mins in the middle of the day. I expect it would rarely achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Anyone hear about buses not being able to go over the bridge @ the back of Mulhuddart village?

As if having my parents(on of them on a walking stick) walk ten minutes to corduff shops to get a bus to the center wasn't bad enough, they then had to sit on a bus home @ IBM till it was his time to pull out as buses couldn't go over said bridge.

As ive said before and maybe im selfish as its my parents, but can they not just run the 238 the way it used to for those many years. Going out of their way to annoy their customers on these smaller runs will only turn them off using them for the larger runs(say from here to town etc)

Oh and so im not seen as anti Dublin bus..Fair play to the driver for saying to them to sit on the bus and wait. Im sure we would have expected it to happen, but he could have easily some excuse for him to make them wait @ the stop.

If the running time allowed for the bus to get from one end of the route to the other is not realistic, then this will have repercussions for later services. This seems to be the main source of the problems on both the N11 and N3 corridors. The schedule does not appear to allow buses sufficient time to get from one end of the route to the other at certain times - that is the proble

FYI - You quoted me in this post, and I didn't say any of those things.

There's something screwy with the quotes - I was quoting jack presley.

• Advertisement

[noparse]
    words
    [/noparse] =
    words

[noparse]
    X said wrote:
    words
    [/noparse] =
    X said wrote:
    words

Tried the 37 at 7.45 took 1.15 to last stop. At 4.15 home it took about 1.30

Be curious to try it earlier and later to see do the time improve much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

I wanted to go to the Blanch centre from town the other day, I was told that the 39 no longer goes there so I logged on to dublinbus.ie and saw that the terminus for the 37 is the Blanch centre. When I went to the bus stop on Suffolk street,the 97 came and said Blanch Road South?? When is this changing?

No specific date for the extension of the 37 has been agreed yet.

The 39 and 39a both serve Blanchardstown Centre from the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm that I have the correct information as I don't fully trust the DB website to be completely accurate and up to date yet.

Does the 39a (towards UCD) stop at the junction of Lower Baggot Street and Herbert Street? Is this the stop outside the "Mercy International Centre"?

Thanks

Yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wiblick

Knew I'd hate the change to the 26 route but didn't expect it to cost an extra 40c to get in to town!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

thing to remember about the 39's/A's is this.
    going to city centre you have to board on the side of starbucks ,atlantic etc. in other words the exposed side. if you get on at the old stop where dunnes is you'll end up in ongar.

Fecking 39a.
    I got one this evening at 17:30 on suffocks street and tought, nice once it should reach the centre in about 30/40 mins.
    The bus went around the corner to the stop on the quays and sat there.
    I tought, ok maybe it's staged times, so it has to wait 10 mins that can happen.
    After I had been sitting there for 30 mins, with people still boarding the bus I went down to find out what the hell was going on, esp as a 39 passed the bus by.
    The driver informed me that he was ending his shift and had to wait for a replacement driver who had not shown up yet, I asked him why he had not announced it and he siad he didnt' know how long it was going to be.
    I asked how much longer it was going to be and he said he wasn't sure he was waiting for an inspector to get back to him. Que people who had hear the converstaion getting off.

He said I could get on the next 39/a which pulled in and I asked him for a transfer ticket but he said he could not do that as the bus was not going out of service just waiting for a driver.

Needless to say I was pissed off, 2 euro 20 to travel one stop?

I ended up sharing a taxi home as I could not get on the next bus which arrived as it was full enough reaching the stop and was mobbed by those who got off the 39a I was on.

In the end 50 mins after I had first got on the bus and with the fall temp I shared a taxi home to blanch with a couple who were as pissed off as I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

That sort of thing happens all the time in the city centre, especially on the 19's, 4's, 16's etc. at Parnell Square. It just so happens that now that the 39A is a cross-city route is now sometimes is covered by two different shifts.

Yes, it is really annoying that the driver won't mention it over the intercom so that passengers can transfer to a different bus if they want, it's one of the many nuances of Dublin Bus that I doubt they are ever going to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Waited 35 mins on Pembroke St last night for an "every 10 mins" 38/38a while two "every 30 mins" 70s passed me along with a whole load of 39s and 39as. At one stage the depot were telling me a driver was already there (must have been an invisible bus!)

Then this morning the 38a driver informed us that despite what it said on the front of the bus, he was only going to O'Connell St. Had to get off on the Navan Road and get a 39...grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

athtrasna wrote: »
    Waited 35 mins on Pembroke St last night for an "every 10 mins" 38/38a while two "every 30 mins" 70s passed me along with a whole load of 39s and 39as. At one stage the depot were telling me a driver was already there (must have been an invisible bus!)

Then this morning the 38a driver informed us that despite what it said on the front of the bus, he was only going to O'Connell St. Had to get off on the Navan Road and get a 39...grrr

I don't know exactly where you are on the 38/38a route, but the 39a may actually be an acceptable alternative for you going from town to D15.
    It sort of is for me, I'm in Castlecurragh and the 39a goes up to the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre via the N3 (i.e. bypassing Blanch Village etc), so its a relatively quick journey and leaves me a 10/15 minute walk to Castlecurragh.
    Its by no means ideal, but I find it preferable to waiting around an extra 30+ minutes for a 38a.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Can anyone help?

I need to get the bus from Clonsilla to Blanchardstown village.

Which bus do I get?
    Does the 39 still go this route?

Yes the 39 does, the 39a doesn't it.
    But if you are getting the train you could get off at castleknock and walk to the village in a couple of mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes the 39 does, the 39a doesn't it.
    But if you are getting the train you could get off at castleknock and walk to the village in a couple of mins.

Thanks for that.

I'd forgotten about the train, I think I will get it.

If anyone spots a 38A can they let me know? According to the timetable, they allegedly run 2-3 times an hour but they never seem to turn up when i go out to the bus stop to get one (and I'm not just talking about during this cold spell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've been on several this week...have seen more As than 38s, where are you trying to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Never mind, they're in the other thread!

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've been on several this week...have seen more As than 38s, where are you trying to get it?

I get on in castlecurragh but it's been both going in and out of town. What's been happening is that as I'm arriving at the bus stop a 38 has just been pulling off so in theory a 38A should be along in 10 minutes. However I find myself almost always having to wait 20+ minutes and a 38 then turns up.

The 6:52am into town is fairly rare and is probably on the endangered species list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

I got a 39a from Donnybrook at about 3:25pm today and didn't get back to the Ongar area until about 5:15pm. I know the weather isn't optimal, but the traffic didn't seem overly heavy and there were no ice-related delays. Is this a reasonably normal commute time for the route, or was I just unlucky?

Advertisement