Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin bus routes/Changes to Bus routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

the blanchardstown map has been updated:

Both the 39 and 39a will operate via the blanchardstown centre.

The 39 will follow the existing route through blanchardstown

The 39a will head from the centre down to the bypass and then follow the current 39b route from there on in as far as trinity college. It will then follow the current 10 route to the ucd campus in belfield

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

thomasj wrote: »
    the blanchardstown map has been updated:

Both the 39 and 39a will operate via the blanchardstown centre.

Well, that does help ease some confusion about where the 39 will go. Plus it makes less sense for them to take the 39 away from the Centre as the confusion caused for passengers in the first couple of months would be massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When are these changes likely to happen. I'm curious how long ye think the 37 will take to get from one end of the route to the other.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Also it will be intresting to see who opts for the 'posh' bus the 37 rather then the 39 if both are an option.

If they had any copon they'd be taking the 39A!

Also i wouldnt like to be taking a 37 given the length of the route , makes the 39 not look so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Am I the only one bothered by the change to the 38/A then. Every 20 mins at peak :confused:

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Am I the only one bothered by the change to the 38/A then. Every 20 mins at peak :confused:

But you get a 38 every 20 minutes and 38a every 20 minutes at peak so they might be balanced out to be every ten minutes you never know

If they had any copon they'd be taking the 39A!

Also i wouldnt like to be taking a 37 at this stage, makes the 39 not look so bad!

Why because of the journey time through castleknock?

BostonB wrote: »
    Why because of the journey time through castleknock?

Yep the time it gets through carpenterstown and castleknock the traffic through castleknock at peak hours can be atrocious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm curious how long ye think the 37 will take to get from one end of the route to the other.

Probably another max 15 minutes on top of the current journey time from the Blanch Rd. South to town. Add another five to the Centre, and ten to go to Leeson St.

I never get the bus. I have no idea of the current journey time.

To drive is about 40/60 mins, train 75 mins, cycle 45/60.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

But you get a 38 every 20 minutes and 38a every 20 minutes at peak so they might be balanced out to be every ten minutes you never know

Hopefully but somehow I doubt it. Adding extra 38s as the text says isn't much use, you're usually better off just waiting for the next 38a because of the delays around Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a 15 minute walk from Mulhuddart to the Blanchardstown centre. Hardly worth getting the bus for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Stark wrote: »
    It's a 15 minute walk from Mulhuddart to the Blanchardstown centre. Hardly worth getting the bus for.
    easy to say in the warmer/non rainy times :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Stark wrote: »

What about the people that can't walk very far? There's a lot of elderly people living in Mulhuddart.

Also, it's only a 15 minute walk from Hunstown/Hartstown loop yet there's a bus going in and out of the centre every ten minutes.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    easy to say in the warmer/non rainy times :P

Umbrellas, rainjackets... A little bit of rain is hardly going to make we wait 30 mins for a bus that's going to get stuck in wet weather traffic especially when I'm going to get colder and wetter standing at a bus stop in the rain than I would if I simply walked the short distance.
    adrienne_x wrote:
    What about the people that can't walk very far? There's a lot of elderly people living in Mulhuddart

How do they get around the centre? I've often spent more time walking around the centre than I have walking to/from it.

I've hardly ever seen the 238 with more than 2 people on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

StarkI would love to see you you'd manage to get to and back from the centre with 3 days of shopping with two kids under two, with a double buggy, and all the nappies with very broken sleep and wore out from being with them all day and chasing after them,
    or if you had a hip replacement in the last 6 months.

Sry, but fust to be pendantic....

You can order your shopping online, its often free or very little. Personally I'd never go near the shops with the kids its a nightmare.

People with new hips are meant to walk a lot.

That said it would be useful for people who are not that mobile. Fair enough. Maybe pick better examples. For example if you had a kid on crutches and wanted to go to the cinema.

i would have thought the logical thing to do would be the send the 270 coming from tyrrelstown down past the cemetary and through ladyswell before it heads towards the centre.

Although i wouldnt be 100% judging by the map and pr of whether or not the 238 is gone or not?

I've walked back with 21" crt and study desk in tow on separate occasions. My grandmother had a hip replacement a few months ago and often walks 15 mins to the shops (despite my dad and uncles asking her to ring them for a lift if she needs to get out). Had to do a 6km round trip to the local Dunnes with my mother on a regular basis when I was very young back in the days when cars were unaffordable for most people and public transport was non existent. Fair enough if the 238 gets regular use by more than a handful of people, but if it's only useful to the most extreme examples, then it should be merged with a different route and the buses uses elsewhere imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You can order shopping on line if you have a credit card, not everyone does.
    The bridge at mulhudard village is awful to try cross as a pedestrian and while the village is 15/20 mins from the centre a lot of the houses are a lot further then that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sry, but fust to be pendantic....

You can order your shopping online, its often free or very little. Personally I'd never go near the shops with the kids its a nightmare.

People with new hips are meant to walk a lot.

That said it would be useful for people who are not that mobile. Fair enough. Maybe pick better examples. For example if you had a kid on crutches and wanted to go to the cinema.

Shopping online isn't an option for everyone I'm afraid, neither is going to the shop without the kids, it may be a nightmare but needs must and all that.

The crux of it is, a lot of people live in Mulhuddart, especially with the new houses popping up all over the place. One bus route in and out of it is crap. Add to it that now the only way for people who are less mobile than others to get to the Blanchardstown Centre is to get a 38 to the village and then a 39 to the centre is a load of crap. The only way to get to Finglas is to either get the bus to the village, walk to the hospital and get the 17a or walk to Tyrellstown and get the 40D, considering for some the walk is the same to Tyrellstown as it is to the centre, they're not really great options now are they?

Shopping online isn't an option for everyone I'm afraid, neither is going to the shop without the kids, it may be a nightmare but needs must and all that.

The crux of it is, a lot of people live in Mulhuddart, especially with the new houses popping up all over the place. One bus route in and out of it is crap. Add to it that now the only way for people who are less mobile than others to get to the Blanchardstown Centre is to get a 38 to the village and then a 39 to the centre is a load of crap. The only way to get to Finglas is to either get the bus to the village, walk to the hospital and get the 17a or walk to Tyrellstown and get the 40D, considering for some the walk is the same to Tyrellstown as it is to the centre, they're not really great options now are they?

Joan burton has a news item with regards to the planned changes urging anyone who has issues to contact her.

i think she does a good with regards to highlighting dublin 15 issues including public transport. The last public transport meeting she held had iarnrod eireann, dublin bus and rpa representatives. id say worth a shot. Given that dublin bus are saying the plans are more-or-less final the best chance is contacting local politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Murt10 wrote: »
    Through the village, past the police station and up the Snugborough Rd. Having said that, you are probably right, the Snugborough Road is not mentioned either.
    Will the Summerfield residents be looking for a laneway through to the Blanch Centre? :p

Lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

This may be of interest to Dublin 15 residents.....

http://www.joanburton.ie/?postid=1334

Joan Burton to host Public Transport Meeting

Venue: ‘The Paddocks’, Littlepace (Upstairs Lounge)
    Date: Thursday 13th May 2010 at 8pm

I will host a public meeting on Thursday 13th May to deal with public transport issues facing Dublin 15. Representatives will be on hand from Dublin Bus, to explain the new Dublin 15 bus network, and from Iarnrod Eireann to give an update on rail services. There will also be a Q&A session.

We hope that you can attend and all are welcome.

Speaking in advance of the Deputy Joan Burton said: “I have been campaigning for years to deliver better public transport for Dublin 15.

“I have held meetings like this in other years, and they have always been very well attended. People in newer areas of Dublin 15 are not the best served by public transport, and are hungry for more buses and trains in their areas.

“Dublin Bus are rolling out new bus routes and networks all across the city. There will be significant changes in the Dublin 15 area and they have agreed to come to our public meeting to explain the changes and answer questions.

“We also hope to have a representative from Iarnrod Eireann to give us an update on the new stations to be opened at Hansfield and Pace later this year. These new stations are much-needed and long-awaited. They should really improve the accessibility of areas like Ongar and Littlepace, slashing the journey time to Dublin city centre.

“Most other capital cities around Europe have quality public transport networks, and Dublin should be no different. It not only improves quality of life, but helps make the economy more competitive and makes it an attractive destination for inward investment.”

“While there have been some improvements recently, we have not seen anything like the investment necessary to meet the needs of a growing Dublin 15 population. More people would leave their cars at home if they felt they could rely on the bus being on time, being able to get a place on the train or get to the airport without having to go all around the world.

"Internationally, it has been shown that the quickest and most cost effective way to improve public transport is to invest in buses. The Minister for Transport has shown reluctance about investing in more new buses. We have a bizarre situation where there road space is being given up for bus corridors, but money is not being provided to run buses in them. There’s a clear lack of joined-up thinking there and this needs to change.

“I will continue to press the Minister for Transport, Iarnród Eireann, the Rail Procurement Agency and Dublin Bus for an improved and integrated bus & rail system for the people of Dublin West.”

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kizza

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I must say I'm slightly looking forward to the changes to the 70. The current service is extremely bad as it is, at least now with a frequency of a minimum of 20 minutes, max of 60 it won't be too bad...

A little annoyed that they'll all go through Littlepace, but at least no diversion through Blanch.

Can you imagine living in the centre of Littlepace? Pain in the ass to get any bus!

wat if ya want to get to blanch village? we get off at the n3? not the best plan! or how do we go the centre? 270 isnt the best and prob be gotten rid of

What about the people that can't walk very far? There's a lot of elderly people living in Mulhuddart.

Also, it's only a 15 minute walk from Hunstown/Hartstown loop yet there's a bus going in and out of the centre every ten minutes.

OK! wreckon its Dec 15th and Old Biddy from Hunstown wants to go shop for her grandchildren - its pissing out of the heavens, its bitter cold. She has bad arthritis and cant walk that far, but the trips to Blanch does her well psychologically, and does well!

Most of us here are young, healthy blah blah - but the plans seem ludicrous for the elderly, which are a main part of the population and should be considered. And at 24, if it was pissing rain i cant walk from dunboyne to blanch centre. Even if I was in Hunststown or Whitestown and its pissing i doubt I'd walk and its Ireland its always frigging raining

The centre is a massive part of life in west dublin region and main buses are stopping going there?! Eeek seems naive to me, Bus officials before making any changes should consult people in the area, and see what issues we have with the bus routes before changing them, see if they incorporate some issues we have with them into the new routes - Because Mr Bus Official driving his BMW isnt going to be on 39 or 70 or the like!

I like the idea of change, the routes need some versatility, and deffo some change! I understand its a business, and needs to be cost effective, but its out money going into the Dublin Bus!

is it me or are the proposing to make alot of routes alot worse?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Kizza wrote: »
    OK! wreckon its Dec 15th and Old Biddy from Hunstown wants to go shop for her grandchildren - its pissing out of the heavens, its bitter cold. She has bad arthritis and cant walk that far, but the trips to Blanch does her well psychologically, and does well!

Most of us here are young, healthy blah blah - but the plans seem ludicrous for the elderly, which are a main part of the population and should be considered. And at 24, if it was pissing rain i cant walk from dunboyne to blanch centre. Even if I was in Hunststown or Whitestown and its pissing i doubt I'd walk and its Ireland its always frigging raining

The centre is a massive part of life in west dublin region and main buses are stopping going there?! Eeek seems naive to me, Bus officials before making any changes should consult people in the area, and see what issues we have with the bus routes before changing them, see if they incorporate some issues we have with them into the new routes - Because Mr Bus Official driving his BMW isnt going to be on 39 or 70 or the like!

I like the idea of change, the routes need some versatility, and deffo some change! I understand its a business, and needs to be cost effective, but its out money going into the Dublin Bus!

Just on a point of clarity - the CEO of Dublin Bus does actually take the bus to/from work every day!

The company have said that there are going to be public meetings to discuss the changes - that I would suggest is when you do get your chance to put your view forward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Kizza wrote: »
    is it me or are the proposing to make alot of routes alot worse?!

No it's not you. Despite what Dublin Bus are saying on their site, it looks to me like the planned changes are a diminution of services overall, even though some of the route changes to one or two buses might benefit some.

Advertisement