Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin bus routes/Changes to Bus routes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Gaspode wrote: »
    No it's not you. Despite what Dublin Bus are saying on their site, it looks to me like the planned changes are a diminution of services overall, even though some of the route changes to one or two buses might benefit some.

Yeah this magical improvement of the service (despite cutting the number of buses) will mean that the 38A will only run during peak times which means that for the rest of the time (and I presume all day Saturday and Sunday) the residents of Ladyswell/Mulhuddart/Corduff and Waterville will have to go get the 38 and go on the 'tour of Dublin 15' to get into town.

If they had to cut buses cause they've no money, fair enough. But don't come out trying to sell it to us that it's a change for the better. The person in charge of PR in Dublin Bus needs to lose his/her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Kizza wrote: »
    Can you imagine living in the centre of Littlepace? Pain in the ass to get any bus!

wat if ya want to get to blanch village? we get off at the n3? not the best plan! or how do we go the centre? 270 isnt the best and prob be gotten rid of

My rant was based on the current system whereas coming from town in the evenings half of the buses go via both Blanch village AND Littlepace, so for me living in Dunboyne it's an extra 20 minutes onto the journey time.

The 270 is still running, especially now as it will also go to Tyrrelstown, and so you'd take that to get to the centre and from there walk to the village, or get a 39 if you don't want to walk)

triple-M wrote: »
    so am i reading things correctly?,as a resident of parslickstown in mulhuddart,what the improvements mean to us are,the total loss of the 220 the 238 and serious cutbacks on the 38a?,so this this mean for the best part of the day only one bus route will be serving mulhuddart? doesnt seem like a fair deal to me

You know what's going to happen though don't you. The PR machine will come out and say how good the service is because a bus goes by Superquinn in Blanchardstown and Myos in Castleknock every 2 minutes so the service is wonderful etc.

They'll neglect to promote that Mulhuddart, Corduff etc. will have a seriously curtailed service. "But they're only working class areas, they won't care or be able to do anything...." that's the kind of comment I'm sure went on in the boardroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You know what's going to happen though don't you. The PR machine will come out and say how good the service is because a bus goes by Superquinn in Blanchardstown and Myos in Castleknock every 2 minutes so the service is wonderful etc.

They'll neglect to promote that Mulhuddart, Corduff etc. will have a seriously curtailed service. "But they're only working class areas, they won't care or be able to do anything...." that's the kind of comment I'm sure went on in the boardroom.

You know, the more I think about this the more pissed off I'm getting with Dublin Bus. They've built more houses in Mulhuddart in the last 2/3 years and they are building more now as we speak up beside Parslickstown/Wellview and they're going to CUT bus services... what kind of logic is that at all? If anything the area needs MORE bus routes, they could possibly run a loop service from the centre to Mulhuddart, Tyrrelstown and Corduff a la the 238... but I don't think they can because the UrBus now serves Tyrrelstown afair. UrBus isn't an accessible service though because they only use mini buses with no low floors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It would appear that the response of Dublin Bus to financial shortfalls is, as ever, to reduce their services. This always amazes me, surely bus services is how they raise revenue - if you reduce services you reduce revenue. They would be far better off cutting out admin, PR, management and other non-income creating staff and increasing the numbers of buses and drivers to get more revenue in.

I'm taking too simplistic a view I know, but their answer always seems to be cut services - it hasn't worked before to get them out of trouble, so why not try something new?

• Advertisement

KC61 wrote: »
    Just on a point of clarity - the CEO of Dublin Bus does actually take the bus to/from work every day!

The company have said that there are going to be public meetings to discuss the changes - that I would suggest is when you do get your chance to put your view forward.

I bet it's one of the best routes in the city...

Probably the 46A...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

My point was that he does use the bus which is more than many other CEOs in this country.

That does give him a chance to see how it works or not on a daily basis.

You know, the more I think about this the more pissed off I'm getting with Dublin Bus. They've built more houses in Mulhuddart in the last 2/3 years and they are building more now as we speak up beside Parslickstown/Wellview and they're going to CUT bus services... what kind of logic is that at all? If anything the area needs MORE bus routes, they could possibly run a loop service from the centre to Mulhuddart, Tyrrelstown and Corduff a la the 238... but I don't think they can because the UrBus now serves Tyrrelstown afair. UrBus isn't an accessible service though because they only use mini buses with no low floors.

Why don't you go the meeting and put your view forward?

These changes are not due to happen until July as I understand it and as yet no schedules have been prepared, so there is ample time to make your case. You may well have a very good point, and perhaps some amendments to the plan can happen that take them into account.

I think you have a good case to make - but that is the point - you need to make it directly to the company.

Most of the changes in D15 appear to be common sense, but the two contentious ones appear to be:
    1) Removing the 238 linking Ladyswell/Mulhuddart to the Blanchardstown SC
    2) Making the 38a peak hour only - causing a longer journey to/from the city for residents of Corduff/Mulhuddart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The thing is the venue where the meeting is being held is hard enough to get to unless you drive.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The thing is the venue where the meeting is being held is hard enough to get to unless you drive.

I would think that this is only the first meeting - this is being organised by Joan Burton.

According to their website:

"Dublin Bus will now commence a communication process to inform customers of the proposed service changes in the Blanchardstown area. Dates for these meetings will be published on this website and in local press in the coming weeks."

I think people need to realise that there is a process to go through here. I don't think everything is cast in stone but the key is that people get in touch with Dublin Bus directly - there is no point in complaining here without putting your views formally to the bus company.

They've given an email on their website so why not get in touch?

networkdirect@dublinbus.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I would think that this is only the first meeting - this is being organised by Joan Burton.

"Dublin Bus will now commence a communication process to inform customers of the proposed service changes in the Blanchardstown area. Dates for these meetings will be published on this website and in local press in the coming weeks."

I think people need to realise that there is a process to go through here. I don't think everything is cast in stone but the key is that people get in touch with Dublin Bus directly - there is no point in complaining here without putting your views formally to the bus company.

Most of the time, they don't reply on that email address. I was told by Dublin Bus, everything is already set in stone.

angel01 wrote: »
    Most of the time, they don't reply on that email address. I was told by Dublin Bus, everything is already set in stone.

Yeah, don't fall for any of that "come forward and put your views forward" rubbish. I work for a large organisation as well and we have to make contentious decisions that annoy people and we always put out PR like this even though the project is already finalised and the decisons made. Rule number 1 in the PR handbook is 'make the public feels like they're involved in the decision making'!

You're joking me right? Those all go into a big folder called "in your dreams public, we don't listen to you"

You're joking me right? Those all go into a big folder called "in your dreams public, we don't listen to you"

With due respect over the years I've always taken a proactive approach to things like this and it generally gets some results.

If you don't express your views then they will never be heard.

What have you to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't get it.. the propaganda page says "More Direct Services
    Faster journey times to the City Centre from Ongar". But the 39 and 39a routes look the same on the map, how will the journey be faster? Or do they mean 1h 10 minutes instead of 1h 15 minutes..

Polar101 wrote: »
    I don't get it.. the propaganda page says "More Direct Services
    Faster journey times to the City Centre from Ongar". But the 39 and 39a routes look the same on the map, how will the journey be faster? Or do they mean 1h 10 minutes instead of 1h 15 minutes..

The 39a will take the New Ongar Road all day and then bypass Blanchardstown Village after the Blanchardstown Centre by going straight out onto the bypass.

That will mean a faster journey to the city all day.

The 39 route stays the same as is - it will operate via Clonsilla Village, and then after the Blanchardstown Centre will continue via Clonsilla Road and Blanchardstown Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Thaedydal wrote: »

DB are having a meet and greet at the Centre on the same day, might be easier to get to. Presumably the DB staff will go to Joan Burton's meeting afterwards, hopefully with feedback from the public.

I only use the 38A a few times a month, but usually at weekends, so cutting all off-peak services is a kick in the teeth. My options as a Castlecurragh(ian) are to walk back towards Damastown or towards Corduff to get the 38 into the city, not huge distances obviously but it increases the time uncertainty in getting a bus. Travel time will also increase.

I'll be voicing my concern to DB, probably at the Centre.

I'll also be going to the Centre to voice my concerns.

I also understand that both the 38 and 38a will operate through Castlecurragh, with the deviation through Mulhuddart Village being withdrawn.

• Advertisement

I also understand that both the 38 and 38a will operate through Castlecurragh, with the deviation through Mulhuddart Village being withdrawn.

Lovely, so that means that the residents of Mulhuddart Village will have a grand total of 0 bus's running through the village.

Lovely, so that means that the residents of Mulhuddart Village will have a grand total of 0 bus's running through the village.

Well I still think the 270 going towards the centre will still run through Mulhuddart like it currently does. So that's 1 bus ;)

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Well I still think the 270 going towards the centre will still run through Mulhuddart like it currently does. So that's 1 bus ;)

Haha, very true, I forgot about the 270! That's what I get for moving out of the area for 3 years!

But the 38 will still take the scenic route into town won't it, i.e. through both Blanchardstown and Castleknock villages? And the Network Direct program (with emphasis on the direct) will have less buses taking the direct route to/from town!

They could have at least come up with a better name

Do many people get on the 38 in the Village?

Does Castlecurragh deserve a better bus service than that it has at the moment?

I would be inclined to agree - to be honest the 270 is the obvious bus to serve Ladyswell/Mulhuddart and link it to Blanchardstown S.C.

I would be inclined to agree - to be honest the 270 is the obvious bus to serve Ladyswell/Mulhuddart and link it to Blanchardstown S.C.

It makes perfect sense given the plans to make it replace part of the 236 by extending it to Tyrrelstown.

Whoever is going to those DB meetings things should probably bring it up to route the 270 via Mulhuddart and Ladyswell rather than going via ITB and Blanchardstown Corporate Park, especially when the 236 will still be covering that.

Some further clarification has appeared on the Dublin Bus website:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Blanchardstown/Blanchardstown-FAQs/

Blanchardstown FAQ's

Will Route 38 and Route 38a continue to operate?

Yes. Routes 38 and 38a will operate from Damastown to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace). They will travel on the current Route 38a alignment from Damastown to Snugborough Road via Castlecurragh and Corduff.

Route 38a will operate via Blanchardstown Bypass and Route 38 will operate via Castleknock and Auburn Avenue.

Both routes will be extended to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace) providing a more direct service to the City Centre with a high frequency service of 10 minutes at peak times.

Route 38a will operate at peak times only from Monday to Friday.

What service will operate from Tyrrelstown?
    Tyrrelstown will continue to be served by Route 40d and local services will be provided by Route 270 and Route 236 to The Blanchardstown Centre. Route 40d’s alignment will be adjusted to offer faster journey times to the City Centre. It will operate via Ballycoolin Road, Mellowes Road to Finglas Village and then direct to Parnell Street. The timetable will be restructured to provide even frequencies between departures.

Will a local service continue to operate in the Blanchardstown area?
    Yes. Route 270 will operate from Dunboyne to Tyrrelstown via Littlepace, The Blanchardstown Centre and the Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown.

Route 236 will operate from Tyrrelstown to The Blanchardstown Centre via Blanchardstown Corporate Park and Snugborough Road.

What services will operate to Littlepace?
    Route 70 and Route 270 will serve Littlepace on all journeys. A revised timetable will be introduced to deliver more regular departures. Route 270 will operate an hourly frequency of service. These services will operate all day to Littlepace, and all day at the weekend, linking Littlepace and Dunboyne with the Blanchardstown Centre (270) and City Centre (70).

What way will Route 70 operate to the City?
    Route 70 will travel from Dunboyne to Littlepace and via the Blanchardstown Bypass and the N3 to the City Centre terminating at Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace). It will have regular fares stopping at all stops en route as required. Route numbers 70x, 70a, 70b will no longer apply.

Will Mulhuddart Village have a bus service?
    Yes. Route 270 will operate from Dunboyne to Tyrrelstown via Littlepace and Mulhuddart, this will provide a connection to more direct, high frequency services offered by Routes 39 and 39a.

What will be the routing of Route 39 and Route 39a?
    Route 39 will operate from Ongar via Hazelbury Park, Rosedale, Manorfields, Latchford, Ravenwood and Allendale estates before passing Clonsilla Railway Station. It will then serve the Hartstown/Huntstown loop, The Blanchardstown Centre, Clonsilla Road, Blanchardstwon Village and Navan Road to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace).

The redesigned Route 39a will operate from Ongar to UCD Belfield via St. Stephen’s Green but will include Hazelbury Park, Rosedale, Manorfields, Latchford, Ravenwood and Allendale. It will also operate on the new Ongar Link Road operating via Hartstown/Huntstown and The Blanchardstown Centre but will travel on the N3, bypassing Blanchardstown village which will save up to 20 minutes per trip for customers travelling from Ongar/West Blanchardstown into the City Centre. The customers in these areas will now have access to up to 100 trips a day each way with bus departures every 10 minutes at peak times.

Will Route 39x continue to operate?
    Route 39x will be combined with Route 39/a outlined above.

What fares will apply on Route 39 and 39a?
    Regular fares will apply on these routes.

It appears they've updated the PDF again: http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5994/Blanchardstown%25205.pdf

Other than the aesthetic changes, it's now clear the 39 and 39A's will still serve Huntstown/Hartstown, and the vanilla 39 will still go through Clonsilla (at least via the station).

Also the 270 will be going through Mulhuddart Village towards the Centre. Although I wonder how that's going to work going back to Dunboyne...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It appears they've updated the PDF again: http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5994/Blanchardstown%205.pdf
    I see that the 17A will now serve Beaumont Hospital, something it was criticised for not doing in a Northside People article.

Advertisement