Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin bus routes/Changes to Bus routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

interesting to note finglas roadshow for next thursday shows that despite new 220 timetable it will be withdrawn soon in anycase time for everyone to ring in and complain again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I wonder how long it will take the 37 to do that route from Terminus to Baggot St

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

KC61 wrote: »
    The new timetables are now online, effective from October 31.

A few points I note:
    • Why the separate 38 and 38a timetables? It makes it look like the level of service is drastically less...
    • The 39 to Blanchardstown Village and Coolmine/Clonsilla is now abysmal, with all the focus on the 39a. Heck, why didn't they number it the other way around?
    • 70 is barely any improvement, so the train is still more viable. All they've really done is eliminated the annoying two hour gaps late at night. And you're still ****ed for commuting if you miss the 8:30 in the morning, although not as much as before.
    • Well it's about time that the 270 now ran all night midweek. Changes that were promised about a couple of years ago at this stage, but only really happening because the main 70 doesn't serve Blanch anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm a 38/38A user and I'm fairly happy with the timetables. Unfortunately in the past there have been plenty of ghost buses on this route, i.e. buses that are on the timetable but don't actually turn up so I'm going to wait until the new routes are in operation before i give Dublin Bus the praises.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Not much left of the 236, I guess I can still get to work with the 238 so it's not looking too bad. Then again reality and timetables didn't meet before, so I'm not sure they will now. The estimated journey times in the new timetables seem to be very ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TheChrisD wrote: »
    • Why the separate 38 and 38a timetables? It makes it look like the level of service is drastically less...

I'm sort of happy with this.
    One of my bug bears with the 38/38a was that the controller in Hawkins Street saw them as interchangeable - for example up to last year he often sent out a 38A at 18.30 and a 38 at 18.40 despite the timetable being the other way around. I'm sure he had his own good reasons for doing this but it was a big inconvenience for those who knew and followed the timetable.
    On at least two occasions I had shouting matches with him about it, and he claimed there was no difference between the routes they followed :confused:

I'd be more than happy if the 38A was renamed the 719 or something, just so it was clear to drivers/controllers/management that they are seperate routes with their own timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

A few points I note:
    • The 39 to Blanchardstown Village and Coolmine/Clonsilla is now abysmal, with all the focus on the 39a. Heck, why didn't they number it the other way around?
    • 70 is barely any improvement, so the train is still more viable. All they've really done is eliminated the annoying two hour gaps late at night. And you're still ****ed for commuting if you miss the 8:30 in the morning, although not as much as before.
    • Well it's about time that the 270 now ran all night midweek. Changes that were promised about a couple of years ago at this stage, but only really happening because the main 70 doesn't serve Blanch anymore.

Good timetable practice is to have as few footnotes as possible. Separating the 38 and 38a means that now happens. It also makes it quite clear to Castleknock users which buses serve that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Bear in mind that the Department of Transport are doing all this not Dublin Bus.
    Dublin Bus have no control over the bus timetables - only the position of bustops on the routes.

I can't believe the '10' buses are gone, they have been a part of Dublin for so long now. How will Northsiders get South, and how will UCD students travel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

BostonB wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take the 37 to do that route from Terminus to Baggot St

You would be surprised. Once you hit O'Connell Street bridge it's easy going and not too much traffic.
    And I used to drive buses along there - it moves quicker than you would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Am I reading this right that the 238 doesn't go through corduff?, so in effect we haven't a bus connection to the centre any-more :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Some pretty dodgy information in the timetables.. for example the 220 will take 12 (or 15) minutes from Lady's Well to Blanch Hospital - would like to see that. Will it be ignoring traffic and bus stops to achieve this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

jeffk wrote: »
    Am I reading this right that the 238 doesn't go through corduff?, so in effect we haven't a bus connection to the centre any-more :eek:

220 & 17a maybe?

220 & 17a maybe?

I think the 220 doesn't go to the centre but just working it out and your right I think the 17a can be used from across from castlecurragh.

Crazy how they can do this, ok its a 5-10 minute walk, but what about those that cant walk. The 238 was hardly full, but then what bus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Good timetable practice is to have as few footnotes as possible. Separating the 38 and 38a means that now happens. It also makes it quite clear to Castleknock users which buses serve that area.

Yes, but what about the people who are on the portion of the routes that both buses serve? There's too little of a difference in the routes really to make separating the timetables necessary.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the Department of Transport are doing all this not Dublin Bus.
    Dublin Bus have no control over the bus timetables - only the position of bustops on the routes.

I can't believe the '10' buses are gone, they have been a part of Dublin for so long now. How will Northsiders get South, and how will UCD students travel ?

Eh Dublin Bus do draw up the timetables.

The whole project is being managed within Dublin Bus.

Yes, but what about the people who are on the portion of the routes that both buses serve? There's too little of a difference in the routes really to make separating the timetables necessary.

As I say best practice is that you avoid footnotes and keep the timetable as simple as possible - it is not that hard to look at both timetables.

For goodness sake that's what people in Ballinteer do - 14 and 14a; Templeogue - 15 and 15b; Swords - 41 and 41c - it's not that hard.

I think the 220 doesn't go to the centre but just working it out and your right I think the 17a can be used from across from castlecurragh.

Crazy how they can do this, ok its a 5-10 minute walk, but what about those that cant walk. The 238 was hardly full, but then what bus is.

The 220 does indeed go to the centre, always has. It stops outside the Corduff Shops. But on the opposite side of the road.

well the new timetables are due to start shortly the 220 is only temporary it is on the finglas roadshow this thursday as still been removed

Yep I read that and as I'll be shopping in Clearwater on Thursday I'll be asking them what the story with it is. I mentioned on the main thread in Commuting & Transport that they were being sneaky doing this, many residents in Finglas won't know the 220 is running through Finglas anymore, so won't get it and then DB can say that the reduced interest in it and reduced passenger numbers make it viable to stop the route.

• Advertisement

What they said on the website was the following:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Blanchardstown/Blanchardstown-FAQs/
    Will Route 220 continue to operate?
    Yes. The timetable will be revised but the route will remain unchanged. As part of our consultation in the Finglas area revised proposals for route 220 will be examined.

Yes, but now they are saying:
    Route Improvements
    Route 17a/220 will be amalgamated. It will be more direct and will operate from Kilbarrack to The Blanchardstown Centre. It will operate every 10 minutes at peak times toward The Blanchardstown Centre in the mornings with a 20 minute service throughout the day.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Finglas-West-and-South/

The 220 does indeed go to the centre, always has. It stops outside the Corduff Shops. But on the opposite side of the road.

I looked at the timetable and it doesn't seem it does, again im saying i think as its not that clear. Im down the other end, so to get the 220 it would be as quick to walk the centre, its more my parents im giving out for, as they use the 238 to get over/back.

On another note, does the 17a stop in Beaumont Hospital? It say it does and then on the fare list its not mentioned.

I looked at the timetable and it doesn't seem it does, again im saying i think as its not that clear. Im down the other end, so to get the 220 it would be as quick to walk the centre, its more my parents im giving out for, as they use the 238 to get over/back.

On another note, does the 17a stop in Beaumont Hospital? It say it does and then on the fare list its not mentioned.

What end are you at? Edgewood? Corduff Park? Brookhaven? Like I said I know the 220 goes to the centre as I've gotten it on many many occasions. It also stops just before the turn to Aisling Heights from Corduff shops.

The 17a will start going to Beaumont Hospital when the revised time table comes into play.

What end are you at? Edgewood? Corduff Park? Brookhaven? Like I said I know the 220 goes to the centre as I've gotten it on many many occasions. It also stops just before the turn to Aisling Heights from Corduff shops.

The 17a will start going to Beaumont Hospital when the revised time table comes into play.

Brookhaven, so the 17a across from castlecurragh is looking the best option.

Grand stuff thanks for clearing that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

TheUsual wrote: »

Eh, this is where the new 39a comes in, ongar to belfield

46a has been extended to the northside terminus and that uses the belfield sliproad

Brookhaven, so the 17a across from castlecurragh is looking the best option.

Grand stuff thanks for clearing that up!

I doubt it! From looking at the map the 17a will serve the hospital and snugborough road and the national aquatic centre. So it looks like it will pass the other side of corduff down the snugborough road extension!

I have to say I am confused by the 220 and the 17a routing, neither of these routes will serve blanchardstown village but will serve the hospital.

Given the only two entrances are snugborough and beside total fitness, how will this work? In and out via the same entrance at snugborough?

route 17a off snugburagh road into hospital out new entrance onto n3 up to centre avoids village that way

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    I have to say I am confused by the 220 and the 17a routing, neither of these routes will serve blanchardstown village but will serve the hospital.

Given the only two entrances are snugborough and beside total fitness, how will this work? In and out via the same entrance at snugborough?

The 220 will still serve the village, it'll go through the hospital out the new entrance at total fitness, onto the n3 and then turn left into the village past The Bell pub.

Advertisement