Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fairy Castle C&C

• 26-04-2010 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭

Hi all. i took the following at the weekend at the fairy castle on top of two rock in the dublin mountains.

im kinda happy with it but i think the foreground is too dark compared to sky. any ideas how i could bring out the foreground a little without messing up the sky? i use CS4 by the way. all constuctive criticism welcome
    4551523953_6d21aeb2f9_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Love the sky :)

Use the dodge tool to lighten the foreground. There's tonnes of simple tutorials online. Though I wouldn't lighten the foreground that much, more put areas of lightened shadows across it. You could enhance the rocks with dodge and burn tools too, a bit of creative light and shadow here and there, like shading a sketch :) I think the rocks need more light than the greenery.

Good starting point to work on though IMHO :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I love the tones and composition, the only thing that annoys me is the wee little white spots (sunglare?), I think they should be cloned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Love the sky :)

Use the dodge tool to lighten the foreground. There's tonnes of simple tutorials online. Though I wouldn't lighten the foreground that much, more put areas of lightened shadows across it. You could enhance the rocks with dodge and burn tools too, a bit of creative light and shadow here and there, like shading a sketch :) I think the rocks need more light than the greenery.

Good starting point to work on though IMHO :cool:

cheers for that. i never went near dodge and burn as i had no idea what they did. definetely give it a go though:)

sNarah wrote: »
    I love the tones and composition, the only thing that annoys me is the wee little white spots (sunglare?), I think they should be cloned out.

cheers. yeah its a bit of sun flare. i thought id leave it in because i thought it gave the image a bit of a mystical light feel (it being fairy castle and all), and also so people didnt think i photoshopped the hell out of it...which im intending to do wahahaha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the halo around the fort is a little off-putting.
    generally what i do (which is not necessarily a good thing to follow) is to use the freehand tool select to select the bottom or the top and feather the selection quite a bit - never less than 100 pixels, and often 255 (which is the max allowed), and then use, say, the curves tool. you can invert the selection to work on the other half. makes the creation of those halo effects less likely.

• Advertisement

the halo around the fort is a little off-putting.
    generally what i do (which is not necessarily a good thing to follow) is to use the freehand tool select to select the bottom or the top and feather the selection quite a bit - never less than 100 pixels, and often 255 (which is the max allowed), and then use, say, the curves tool. you can invert the selection to work on the other half. makes the creation of those halo effects less likely.

thanks. i havent a clue how to feather (im useless at ps) ill look up a tutorial on it though. thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

feathering just blurs the boundary of the selection, so it's not an abrupt change from selected pixels to unselected. i think it's under 'refine selection', but i don't have PS to hand...

Advertisement