Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you want England to do well in the W/C

• 26-04-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

Came up in another thread, would be interested to take the temperature on here about it.

Basically I'm trying to establish if people who follow English teams will cheer on England in the World Cup as logic would dictate.

Will You Cheer for England? 154 votes

I support an English Team and Yes
    0% 0 votes
    I support an English Team and No
    42% 66 votes
    I don't support an English team and yes
    30% 47 votes
    I don't support an English team and no
    6% 10 votes
    Complete ambivilance.
    20% 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

ENGERLANNNDD ENGERLANNND ENGERLANNND!

edit: lol at you saying as logic would dictate, seems like your little crusade is continuing on just ramming your opinion down peoples throats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't support an English team and yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    ENGERLANNNDD ENGERLANNND ENGERLANNND!

ENGERLANNNDD ENGERLANNND ENGERLANNND ENG GER LAND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't mind if they do well or not.

I do want to see the United players on show do well, but that is the case regardless of the national side they are playing for.

If England do well as a result of Rooney and Rio having cracking tournaments, then i'll be happy enough to see England do well. If the England team contained no United players, I wouldn't care at all about their progress really.

I'm not one who always wants to see England fail though, in any sport. As long as their success does not impact on Ireland/Irish success then i'll be happy for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

dooferoaks wrote: »
    ENGERLANNNDD ENGERLANNND ENGERLANNND ENG GER LAND.

Your avatar caused a little WTF moment there :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I support an English team and No, I won't hope they lose or do rubbish i'm just cheering for Cote D'Ivoire.

Come on You Elephants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not really fussed for footballing reasons, though I'd prefer if they didn't due to the circle jerk we would have to endure for the next 50 years between fans and media alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I couldnt give a toss one way or the other.

I highly doubt they will get near the final.

If they did then good on them, if they go out at the last 16 so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

As long as Rooney doesn't get injured I don't care what happens. Early exits for Utd players would be good I suppose.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not really fussed, though I'd prefer if they didn't due to the circle jerk we would have to endure for the next 50 years between fans and media alike.

:rolleyes:

If you didn't consume British Media, then you wouldn't have to "endure" it.

There is a simple solution to every eejit who "dislikes" the England team because of the English Media.

Stop buying their newspapers, stop watching their coverage, stop listening to their podcasts. If it annoys you so much, just avoid it.

It's really that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Meh, would prefer if they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Complete ambivilance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The media meltdown when they get knocked out of tournaments is invariably hilarious, and can only be enhanced this time around by the fact that sections of their media genuinely believe England can win the competition. So I'd have to root for that, and the only way that happens is if England fail.

I just want to be entertained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have an English club and want England to do well.

I guess I'm a weird case because I'm English-born to Irish parents, but living here 28 years, so after Ireland, I support England.

I won't even acknowledge the "argument" that suggests that the British media (widely consumed here) is any more partisan and triumphalist than any number of other major football countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I support an English team and no I don't want them to do well. Seeing as the club I support is Manchester United, I don't think logic would dictate I follow them based on how United fans view England and the manner in which United's players have been treated by England fans in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

would like to see them do well.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    would like to see them do well.

and what team do you support?

I can never tell from your unbiased posts on here

Des wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If you didn't consume British Media, then you wouldn't have to "endure" it.

There is a simple solution to every eejit who "dislikes" the England team because of the English Media.

Stop buying their newspapers, stop watching their coverage, stop listening to their podcasts. If it annoys you so much, just avoid it.

It's really that simple.

If RTE facilitated my need for a fix of Premier League coverage then I wouldn't.

As it is, being a fan of an English club, I invaribly need to consult their media on a regular basis.

Catch 22 admittedly, but it stirs my disliking for them to do well.

EDIT: Nice touch with the calling me an 'eejit' btw :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shouldn't ambivilance be indifference? or did the OP mean the former?

• Advertisement

apologies. i support Liverpool. presuming from your posts you're a united fan, right? :p it is worth noting that the people who say no-and support an english team are gonna be viewed as being hypocritical by the LOl mafia around here, but if the same question was asked on some club fansites which are frequented by english (particularly United and Liverpool), there would also be a sizeable portion there who would wanna see them fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

The poll is missing the 2 options

I support an English side and don't care how they do in the World Cup

I Don't support an English side and don't care how they do in the World Cup

When England are playing I won't support them, but I won't support their opposition just because they're playing England.

I want England to win as much as I want Germany or France to win. I just don't care.

If they're playing a side which are ranked way below them i'll support the underdog.

We need to get over this inferiority complex, or superiority complex-whatever the case may be! I want England to win the World Cup as much as I imagine they wanted us to win it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If RTE facilitated my need for a fix of Premier League coverage then I wouldn't.

As it is, being a fan of an English club, I invaribly need to consult their media on a regular basis.

Catch 22 admittedly, but it stirs my disliking for them to do well.

Do you not watch most of your EPL coverage on Fox? Isn't that Australian media?

Or do you still go out of your way to consume the sensationalist nonsense from certain parts of the British Media?

Not ALL British Media engage in this carry on, the Guardian, for instance, is fairly balanced, which I'm sure you know.

do you purposely read/watch the parts of th British Media which engage in stupid hyperbole, just to annoy yourself, or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if we consumed no English media, there would be no question.

the only thing that would frustrate people if England won it, would be us hearing about it.

can you imagine if the English consumed our media?

they'd want each and every one of our Grand Slam winning rugby players dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ive always supported Argentina or France at international level if Rep of Ireland didnt qualify and that will not be different this year.

Loved Argentina in 94,98 in 02 they were terrible, 06 they looked like they weer going steam role the competition after a few early games but faded away.

France 94, none existent, 98 winners and a great team, 02 was a disaster of a competition, 06 best overall team in the competition let down by Zizou's temper.

I dont think either have the squads to win it this time but hope they both get far, even with Henry's incident.

gavredking wrote: »
    Ive always supported Argentina or France at international level if Rep of Ireland didnt qualify and that will not be different this year.

:eek:

You'll be supporting France? FRANCE?! Oh My Actual God.

After what that cheating bastard did to us?

FRANCE!!??

By god, are you, like, mental?!!

I'm setting up a facebook petition to get you banned from this thread.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

I support MU and to be honest I don't mind either way. I just hope it's a good tournament that goes well and the best team wins.

who?

:D

Do you not watch most of your EPL coverage on Fox? Isn't that Australian media?

I don't have Fox. I stream all my games from whatever I can get, usually the UK ESPN coverage with David Pleat and the like.

/shudder
    Or do you still go out of your way to consume the sensationalist nonsense from certain parts of the British Media?

I don't go out of my way. I try to read as many sources as posible for news, and that involves the tabloids.

Rightly or wrongly, sensationalism is interesting, and that's why those papers pay so well.
    Not ALL British Media engage in this carry on, the Guardian, for instance, is fairly balanced, which I'm sure you know.

Of course, I'm well aware of that.
    do you purposely read/watch the parts of th British Media which engage in stupid hyperbole, just to annoy yourself, or what?

I read all sorts, from The Guardian to The Sun. I like balance, and I don't feel I would be qualified to comment on the media if I didn't sample it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm fairly neutral I guess. Would like to see the likes of Johnson, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney etc do well, but don't particularly like to see the likes of Terry and Ash Cole do well. Overall the people I like probably outweigh those I don't, so I'm neutral to Pro-England.

As BH says below, there are other teams who simply have more players I like and a style I prefer, so if they meet I would obviously side with my preferred team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Id like to see certain English players do well no doubt like James Milner for example (would only wish success on that guy) but as a whole there are teams i prefer than England, not because if historical reasons or for any petty club support based reasons but purely for footballing reasons like Holland, Spain or Argentina for example.

Id never wish failure upon England although their media could go over the top for sure (it was not fun living there after they won the RWC but ireland beating them every year after was :D) but the fact that i am not anti english football and support a english club team does not mean i want them to win the WC or anything.

id also be similar to Xavi atm though and bypass the media to some extent watching all my football on streams these days due to location and not being bombarded by SSN etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

:eek:

You'll be supporting France? FRANCE?! Oh My Actual God.

FRANCE!!??

By god, are you, like, mental?!!

I'm setting up a facebook petition to get you banned from this thread.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Id like to join that group. :pac:

But TBH France didnt rob us, it was Henry, a player who i loved to watch, one of the best strikers in the world, he cheated, and it cost us big time. Ive always like the French teams and players they produce, Thierry Henry had a moment when he lost all respect in the game but it happens, unfortunately.

In for the record let it be known I said I always supported either Argentina or France.:o

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I support an English (French!) team, and i hope they do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

gavredking wrote: »

Loved Argentina in 94,98 in 02 they were terrible, 06 they looked like they weer going steam role the competition after a few early games but faded away.

France 94, none existent, 98 winners and a great team, 02 was a disaster of a competition, 06 best overall team in the competition let down by Zizou's temper.

I dont think either have the squads to win it this time but hope they both get far, even with Henry's incident.

I'll be supporting France and support a French club. Love watching the Argies aswell.

this poll is really confirming the absolute retardedness of the stats thrown around in that LOI 'article'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I don't support an English team and no.

I want Germany to do well, I always support Germany when Ireland are not in these tournaments.

But I would like to see England destroy France if they meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mr Alan wrote: »
    this poll is really confirming the absolute retardedness of the stats thrown around in that LOI 'article'.

Not really convinced by the poll yet. Saying nearly 30 percent on here don't support EPL teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Q/F knockout on penalties. Glen Johnson or Rob Green to be the fall guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I am English , I do support an English team ( currently in the Premier League ) and of course I want my national team to do well , however get very fed up with the media hype .....

Come on you England !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I hope Spain win. I hope all other teams do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I support Liverpool and I want them to do well (Well I say that I don't really care, I want the Germans to win it) I like a lot of their player, obviously the Liverpool lads, Ashley Cole is one of my all time favourites, Rob Green is cool and Lampard so yeah I hope they do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd rather they not win it.

genuine question...

why do English football supporting people in particular want them not to win it?

i understand ambivilence or indifference; but actively not wanting them to win it just confuses me, honestly.

is it just the media?

is it John Terry? ;)

i would think it's common sense to want to see players i support on a weekly basis to do well at the biggest international competition there is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What about an option for those who don't care either way?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

SlickRic wrote: »
    genuine question...

why do English football supporting people in particular want them not to win it?

i understand ambivilence or indifference; but actively not wanting them to win it just confuses me, honestly.

is it just the media?

is it John Terry? ;)

i would think it's common sense to want to see players i support on a weekly basis to do well at the biggest international competition there is.

because there are other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Aside from Ashley Cole and Terry, this is probably the most likeable bunch of English players in a while so yeah I wish them well. I won't be screaming my "support" from the rooftops mind you.

because there are other options?

fair enough.

i was more talking about those who just point-blank don't want to see them win it.

i'd prefer Spain to win it for instance, but it wouldn't bother me for England to win it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would probably prefer if they didn't win it, aside from that I really don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If England play the best,win their games through good play, fair decisions and minimum controversy I would have zero issue with them winning it. Same as any other team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I don't support an English team and no. Why would I?

• Advertisement
Advertisement