Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you want England to do well in the W/C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Poorly setup poll. Add an "I support an English team but I'm indifferent to how their national team does" option.

I'm not supporting them, but I'm not hoping they fail miserably either. If they do well, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

We are part of the British Isles so there is the geographical reason to support them. I would love to see the Manchester United players up there winning the world cup along with the players of teams I do not hate. Plus they have the greatest world cup song ever; World in Motion

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Would like to see them do well as they have some very likeable players but if they won the world cup i doubt i could handle the coverage on skysportnews, we would never hear the end of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Frisbee wrote: »
    Complete ambivilance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

SlickRic wrote: »
    genuine question...

why do English football supporting people in particular want them not to win it?

i understand ambivilence or indifference; but actively not wanting them to win it just confuses me, honestly.

is it just the media?

is it John Terry? ;)

i would think it's common sense to want to see players i support on a weekly basis to do well at the biggest international competition there is.

As an Arsenal fan I'd like to see Walcott do well but, we won't have any other players in the squad! It's more that I'd prefer someone like Spain, Argentina or Brazil to win it than not wanting England to win it and that should have been an option in the poll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

because there are other options?

You missed his point there. He meant why do people not want England to win, not just because, for example, they are supporting France, but because they just do not want England to win it.
    Even though they might be supporting France, and Argentina won, they wouldn't care, but if England won it would irk them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

fair enough.

i was more talking about those who just point-blank don't want to see them win it.

i'd prefer Spain to win it for instance, but it wouldn't bother me for England to win it either.

Would it really not bother you? Do you not consider them rivals? (I'm talking sport-wise) I don't understand why Irish fans would want them to do well frankly. Do you think they want to see Argentina or Germany do well? Hell no. Would NI fans like to see us do well? Nah, they love seeing us miserable.

The fact that England has quite a repulsively arrogant media doesn't help matters (and I should point out here I do avoid their papers, but I like their TV offerings and don't feel arrogance is needed on them and I know a lot of their fans agree). I want Spain to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Would it really not bother you?

it well and truly wouldn't.

maybe i should think of them as rivals, but i really don't until we're in direct competition.

their media doesn't help, granted, but as i mentioned, ours is just as bad, if not (dare i say it) worse, when we're successful in sport.

i want Spain to do well above all, because the team contains some of my favourite players in the world now.

but England doing well wouldn't bother me.

what i will say is, it is particularly entertaining when they fail after all the hype. particularly if it's on penalties, that is one thing definitely in favour of the 'no i don't want them to win it' camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I support English teams, and yes. Some of my favourite players are English. Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard are ****ing quality when on form. Imagine those 3 playing brilliantly together. Capello still has work to get the absolute best out of them.

A solid defence, 2 young, quality wingers in Lennon and Milner. Even with the media hype, I would love to see them win. I hope their fans don't act like muppets again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

what i will say is, it is particularly entertaining when they fail after all the hype. particularly if it's on penalties, that is one thing definitely in favour of the 'no i don't want them to win it' camp.

This is it though there always seems to be a scapegoat when they go out. It's funny at first but it can also get quite sinister. I remember when I was younger being a fan of Becks and the stuff he had to endure after France '98 was a disgrace. It's that kind of attitude of feeling like they have a divine right to win, and then looking for someone to blame when they don't, which bugs me and makes it tough for me to warm to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I support English teams, and yes. Some of my favourite players are English. Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard are ****ing quality when on form. Imagine those 3 playing brilliantly together. Capello still has work to get the absolute best out of them.

A solid defence, 2 young, quality wingers in Lennon and Milner. Even with the media hype, I would love to see them win. I hope their fans don't act like muppets again.

How long have you worked for Sky Sports, Mr. Gray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

never mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This is it though there always seems to be a scapegoat when they go out. It's funny at first but it can also get quite sinister. I remember when I was younger being a fan of Becks and the stuff he had to endure after France '98 was a disgrace. It's that kind of attitude of feeling like they have a divine right to win, and then looking for someone to blame when they don't, which bugs me and makes it tough for me to warm to them.

i completely understand this.

and in fact, it is a great answer to my original question about reasons for not wanting them to win, which again i say was a genuine one.

maybe i'm just too forgiving, or forget things too easily.

but i look at the team; the likes of Lampard, Johnson, Gerrard, even Rooney, and i want them to have a good tournament. this overrides, for me, the valid arguments that you made about the media machine behind them (i.e. the act of looking for scapegoats).

Ush1 wrote: »
    How long have you worked for Sky Sports, Mr. Gray?

What kind of responce is that? Are you too ignorant to try and possibly comprehend another person opinion?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What kind of responce is that? Are you too ignorant to try and possibly comprehend another person opinion?

The kind of response it warrants. No I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i'm Welsh and want any team that England are playing to do well, even go as far as saying Germany

i completely understand this.

and in fact, is a great answer to my original question about reasons for not wanting them to win, which again i say was a genuine one.

maybe i'm just too forgiving, or forget things to easily.

but i look at the team; the likes of Lampard, Johnson, Gerrard, even Rooney, and i want them to have a good tournament. this overrides, for me, the valid arguments that you made about the media machine behind them (i.e. the act of looking for scapegoats).

This is what I don't understand.
    I dislike them for many reasons including the media. However if I was a fan of an English club player and he was playing I would certainly wish the team to do well.

I wonder how many people don't follow Irish teams and want Ireland to do well, that would be hypocritical wouldn't it? Although our team has a lot of English in it, and most play over there!

I support United (started supporting after everyone in my class was a United supporter :p), Shams (Family) and have a soft spot for Blackpool (Family lived there for a while).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Id like to see them do well as under capello I genuinely feel they play really good football. I think they are definately one of the 4/5 teams that can win the whole thing too.
    I just know though that englands first match on ITV will feature Terry Venebles harp on about John Terry and if we're lucky we will also get Ian Wright prattle on about something and I will immediatly be turned off and want them to lose :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I support an English team and don't want England to win the WC, for the simple fact that I'm putting money on Spain.

If I wasn't putting money on Spain I wouldn't really mind how they do, just hope no United player gets a bad injury and play a good tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I can't understand how anyone who cheers the English players who play their favourite EPL team week in/week out and then without blinking an eyelid happily boo them when they pull on an England shirt. I couldn't be a fan of an International team in the same way that I am a Shamrock Rovers or Man Utd fan even though I go to all the Irish matches. I do not subscribe to the idea of booing a player when he's in an England shirt just because I'm Irish. Likewise those Irish fans who boo opposing players with links to Rangers at International matches are a disgrace in my opinion and anyone who does it should be ashamed of themselves.

I have no favourites for the tournament but I am obviously most familiar with Englands players because of the blanket coverage the EPL gets over here.The fact of the matter is that no matter how hard the English press try to persuade you otherwise, England won't ever win the World Cup again. 1966 was a fluke, the teams then were more evenly matched and the tournament was designed in such a way to give the hosts the greatest chance of winning, no travelling, favourable kick off times, dodgy linesman decisions etc.

Its not any hatred of England that make me want the team to fail at the world cup but the press reaction. Again this year they qualified easily and, on paper anyway, should win their group in the tournament without breaking sweat IMO. The press will then go into meltdown saying how brilliant they are and how they are now obviously one of the favourites for the tournament. However, watch what happens when they get eliminated at, most likely, the semi final stage. The English press will destroy a small forest saying how the team was too old, Gerrard and Lampard can't play together, and how foreign managers are rubbish etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

My only hope is the World cup final doesnt end as badly as the last. Have always liked Argentina and so they are my number one team. Spain after that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

This is what I don't understand.
    I dislike them for many reasons including the media. However if I was a fan of an English club player and he was playing I would certainly wish the team to do well.

The Irish media are equally as bad with Ireland, but because you support Ireland people don't see it, people go on about how biased the English commentators are when England play, yet the Irish commentators are the same with Ireland, though thjankfully we have Eamon Dunphy :)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    The Irish media are equally as bad with Ireland, but because you support Ireland people don't see it, people go on about how biased the English commentators are when England play, yet the Irish commentators are the same with Ireland, though thjankfully we have Eamon Dunphy :)

Haven't seen this at all. Our media slates us usually.

With good reason.:)

Have yous seen Venables singing on that ITV ad and Redknapp patting him an all. God Jesus, vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Hope it ends in tears again for them. irish fans wanting them to do well?? Can you imagine dutch fans cheering fior Germany?? I follow english football but don't support any team there. I suypport a club that plays in scotland but have no time for the scottish international team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yes. I would be over the moon if my country won the world cup.

Haven't seen this at all. Our media slates us usually.

With good reason.:)

Commentators are very biased, a complaint that is often directed at the English media

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'm not going to be rooting for anyone, I'm just gonna enjoy the feast of football on offer :)

If you really had to force an answer though, I would say Holland. Have to love some of their players, RVP, Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Robben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Pompey winning the FA cup followed by England winning the world cup....I can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Would like to see players like Rooney and Gerrard do well in the competition.
    I admire greatness so I'd like to see them, Messi and Argentina or the Spanish win it. Having said that also if some team comes along and plays superbly as a team then I'd like to see them go on a lift the trophy

No, because SSN will go into meltdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yes I want them to do well but I dont want them to win it.I'm more interested in seeing City players doing well.

I want to see Spain win it with Serbia doing well

Trilla wrote: »
    Would like to see players like Rooney and Gerrard do well in the competition.
    I admire greatness so I'd like to see them, Messi and Argentina or the Spanish win it. Having said that also if some team comes along and plays superbly as a team then I'd like to see them go on a lift the trophy

I hope the Argies win it too.

Would love to see Messi do a Maradonna '86 on the world cup tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ABE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No, because SSN will go into meltdown

On the contrary, SSN will probably ignore the WC, seeing as they aren't showing it.

They'll probably pimp the shít out of some tiddlywinks championship that they ARE showing.

Des wrote: »
    On the contrary, SSN will probably ignore the WC, seeing as they aren't showing it.

They'll probably pimp the shít out of some tiddlywinks championship that they ARE showing.

You leave the under 14s B Cup Final alone :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Des wrote: »

Not true, they are world cup whores

Last one we had an update on Rooney's injury every few minutes.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Not true, they are world cup whores

Last one we had an update on Rooney's injury every few minutes.

Sure with the small incident involving Roy Keane in Saipan :p Irish tv had it as the main event for days, was even brought up in the dail, if Ireland had made it to the world cup, we would now have constant Shay Given news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Sure with the small incident involving Roy Keane in Saipan :p Irish tv had it as the main event for days, was even brought up in the dail, if Ireland had made it to the world cup, we would now have constant Shay Given news

I have nothing against it myself, infact I could listen to news about Rooney 365 days a year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Good luck to England hope they do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

When I was younger I used to take great delight in seeing them fail. Now I don't really give a sh*te either way tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Pretty much don't care.

Only teams I want to see win are those I have my couple of quid on.

Could not care less how England do, in the same way as I don't really care how Italy or France or Honduras fare.

Ireland aren't in it, so, although I will be watching it pretty avidly, my ambitions will be capped at seeing some great games, goals and individual skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I will be supporting England. Probably for another thread but I genuinely believe they have a chance if someone else knocks out Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The clue is in the title of the forum, this is for soccer posting. If you want to debate politics or invisible lines or the rights and wrongs of one set of fantasy believers over the other then either take it to PM with each other or find the right forum.

Any further political posting will lead to infractions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm a Liverpool fan. But under no circumstances will I consider supporting England. I do hope that all of their players are fully fit in order to negate any possible excuses they may come up with later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

the way the media are actively digging up dirt on their own national team for a few cheap sales, i hope they do well.

That said like they find an excuse why they didnt win it, by the time the world cup takes place, i will find an excuse not to like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mr Alan wrote: »
    this poll is really confirming the absolute retardedness of the stats thrown around in that LOI 'article'.

While the article was fairly crap, let's not discount the general idea based on (possibly tactical) voting in this poll.

We've all been in pubs during England matches and we've all seen what goes on.

stovelid wrote: »
    While the article was fairly crap, let's not discount the general idea based on (possibly tactical) voting in this poll.

We've all been in pubs during England matches and we've all seen what goes on.

Of course, and it's alot higher than 1 in 4 in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement