Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you want England to do well in the W/C

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ush1 wrote: »
    Of course, and it's alot higher than 1 in 4 in my opinion.

Perhaps a greater proportion of morons watch their football in pubs than post about it on the internet?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Couldn't give a flying f...

Ireland aren't playing so really don't care who wins as long as I see some good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Des wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If you didn't consume British Media, then you wouldn't have to "endure" it.

There is a simple solution to every eejit who "dislikes" the England team because of the English Media.

Stop buying their newspapers, stop watching their coverage, stop listening to their podcasts. If it annoys you so much, just avoid it.

It's really that simple.

The only paper I buy is the Irish Times (occassionally) and the Sunday Business Post... if you think it's possible to avoid the English media in this country... it ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I hope they get hockeyed in every match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm a German in Ireland, I support a German team and I feel a pronounced dislike of anything English in soccer - with the exception of Arsenal. Particular pet hates of mine are United and the English international side.

(Other than that I don't mind 'the English' they're sound enough it seems... :D)

Now that we have that cleared up

Come on the Germans!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I want them to and hope they do win.

All this shíte about having to listen to them for 50 years is annoying, do you ever hear them shouting about winning the RWC in 2004?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd be happy for all my English friends if England do well, but I have some really close American friends, so I want them to top the group and they'll be the main team I'm supporting in the World Cup.
    Melion wrote: »
    All this shíte about having to listen to them for 50 years is annoying, do you ever hear them shouting about winning the RWC in 2004?

Sure we still go on about Italia 90 like it was the second coming of Christ while Heidi Klum was giving everyone blowjobs!

We didn't even win the thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Born in England to Irish parents but was young enough when we moved back to Ireland so have very little memory of the place. Wouldn't move back there though.

If Ireland aren't in it, then I'll back England but wouldn't mind seeing Spain do the job and America to do well too!

For historical reasons England are our biggest sporting rivals.

We are the only country on Earth that would produce a poll whereby 35% of people want their biggest sporting rivals to do well.

Anyone but England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Hope they make the final but would want Spain to win it in style. Hope England get France in semis on route.

• Advertisement

For historical reasons England are our biggest sporting rivals.

We are the only country on Earth that would produce a poll whereby 35% of people want their biggest sporting rivals to do well.

Anyone but England.

Thats the incredibly sad point. In your eyes they are our huge rivals, English people couldnt give a toss about Ireland when it comes to sport :D.

Its nothing to do with sporting rivalry when you mention it either, its a horrible backwards mentality that you continually spout on this forum.

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

99% of English fans support us in tournaments. In USA94 I remember lots of English supporters cheers us on despite them being at home. During "Henrygate" last year there was a lot of support from "themacrossthewater" for our plight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I wouldn't be able to stomach England winning the WC, my team only has two English players, I'll be supporting all the underdog teams in every game....but my money will be on Spain

Thats the incredibly sad point. In your eyes they are our huge rivals, English people couldnt give a toss about Ireland when it comes to sport :D.

Its nothing to do with sporting rivalry when you mention it either, its a horrible backwards mentality that you continually spout on this forum.

I'd challenge you to back it up but...

1. I know you wouldn't be able to; and

2. The mods have asked to keep this on topic so I'm gonna bow out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I wouldn't be able to stomach England winning the WC, my team only has two English players, I'll be supporting all the underdog teams in every game....but my money will be on Spain
    You realise if it's England v Spain, England will be underdogs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

If its in his eyes, then its still a rivalry.

Nothing backwards about Irishmen not wanting our main sporting rivals to win. Ditto the Belgians and the French, Portugese and Spanish etc.

Would 35% on English folk want Germany or France to do well? Would they fcuk.

10 years ago this poll would have been zero, interesting that there has been such a shift in attitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

10 years ago this poll would have been zero, interesting that there has been such a shift in attitudes.

Exacxtly, most of us aren't stuck in the past with some hurt feelings over things that happened in the past and not even to anyone we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol at England being our main sporting rivals! :p

• Advertisement

We've been here many a time before with this topic - I dont see the point in going over it again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If its in his eyes, then its still a rivalry.

Nothing backwards about Irishmen not wanting our main sporting rivals to win. Ditto the Belgians and the French, Portugese and Spanish etc.

Would 35% on English folk want Germany or France to do well? Would they fcuk.

Would, should, maybe, might, probably. You are pulling that from thin air. Sure probably 98 out of 99 Irish fans of English teams hope England fail miserably, according to that article. Thats just an assumption based on one guys perception, which is completely wrong as the poll shows. Anybody can pull assumptions from their hole.

And our main sporting rivals? You are having a laugh, right?
    • Football? Whens the last time we've played a competitive match? 20 years?
    • Rugby? As one of my English mates said during the six nations, "We don't mind losing to you, as long as we don't lose to the f*cking Welsh".
    Any such "bitter rivalry" is only coming from the minority of people still stuck in the past. Times have changed. Move on.

</rant>

Good day to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Want them to do well, as I support a English team. But Im hoping Spain win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Rooney10 wrote: »
    And our main sporting rivals? You are having a laugh, right?
    • Football? Whens the last time we've played a competitive match? 20 years?
    • Rugby? As one of my English mates said during the six nations, "We don't mind losing to you, as long as we don't lose to the f*cking Welsh".
    Any such "bitter rivalry" is only coming from the minority of people still stuck in the past. Times have changed. Move on.

</rant>

Good day to you.

Have to disagree here. Who do you think are our sporting rivals then? Every country has one. The fact the English don't feel that way about us is irrelevant. Look at Northern Ireland. Their fans would likely consider us their main rivals. We would surely not feel the same way in return but it doesn't lessen the fact that we are rivals in their eyes.

You mentioned rugby there. If you listen to the Irish rugby players after the victories over England they often mention how special it is to beat the English. Why is that then?

Of course there is a certain historical element to it, as I'm sure there is for the Scots and Welsh who want England to lose, the NI fans who want us to lose, and I'm sure for the English who want the Germans and Argies to lose.

Acting like we should be ashamed for wanting a team we consider a rival to lose is nonsense. By the way, 1995 is not that long ago in the past and if you think that has no bearing on relations you are kidding yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Rooney10,

England will always be Ireland's biggest sporting rival. It's a historical fact that will never change. Same with the Dutch seeing the Germans as their biggest.

The fact that neither the English nor the Germans see us and the Dutch as their biggest rivals is irrelevant.

England is always referred to in sporting terms as the "aul' enemy". It doesn't mean Irish people want to burn everything English except their coal, it's just the way it is for historical/political reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not really convinced by the poll yet. Saying nearly 30 percent on here don't support EPL teams?

Si!

• Advertisement

What is actually braindead is why people cannot understand why so many Irish love seeing England lose in whatever sport.

Of course it has a lot to do with history and of course our present situation.

Why is there rivalry between Poland - Germany, Scotland - England, Germany - England, Russia - USA, Iran - Iraq, NZ - Australia etc etc.

Practically every country in the world loves beating the English but because we are Irish we are called ignorant by our own people for wanting to see England get beaten. Wake the fcuk up. If you want to go around waving your union jack - thats your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I support man utd and want em to crash and burn in the world cup:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In real rivalry terms, we're more like an enraged little fly annoyingly buzzing around Mr England's ear when he's trying to have a blazing row with his German and Italian neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

stovelid wrote: »
    In real rivalry terms, we're more like an enraged little fly annoyingly buzzing around Mr England's ear when he's trying to have a blazing row with his German and Italian neighbours.

In football rivalry terms, England is somewhat of a fly compared to Germany and Italy.

Advertisement