Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

84 facing major route restriction but increased timetable

Options
  • 26-04-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

Check out here and the map link on that page showing the new route.

Map

What do you guys think, positive or negative step (excluding the fact that the Luas stop in Cherrywood will not be operational for a number of months after this change is to be made)

Much more frequent service, meeting up with the new Luas and increased frequency 145 route, but loss of a direct connection to the city centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as I mentioned over on the C&T thread - only a deranged fan of bus travel would regularly use the 84 to go all the way into town - it's slow, indirect and infrequent.

At peak times North wicklow is well served by the 84x, 145 and the Dart. Off peak the new 84 timetable will be a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Kind of awkward for people living in greystones getting to/from UCD outside of the 84x peaktimes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Kind of awkward for people living in greystones getting to/from UCD outside of the 84x peaktimes

Would they be axing the unlisted 3 that goes through the village then?

will require slightly more coordination as it will be a 2 bus journey (same for most other parts of the city though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In theory, it should actually be quicker. Since the 145 will have a ten-minute-frequency and (unlike the 84) won't be going near the Dart station, you'll be able to jump off the 84 on Bray main street, and should be sitting on a 145 while your 84 is still idling outside the station.

Overall, I think it's a massive improvement. An 84 every thirty minutes - even at off-peak times. At the moment, there's an 80-minute gap between inbound buses on weekday afternoons, and a 2-hour gap on Sundays.

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    what do you mean?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What about weekend frequencies, I'd like to see them as well

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

They need to do what they did in London and turn one long bus service into two. Then the buses have some chance of being on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what do you mean?

at around 4 or 4.30 in the afternoon during the week there is a number 3 that runs from Greystones (or further afield I'm not sure) to UCD. This is not on any timetable and doesn't exist as an official scheduled service.

I've gotten it from Cabinteely a few times, iirc its a school run bus returning to Belfield for its next expresso run or something
    What about weekend frequencies, I'd like to see them as well

I reckon these will be the same as the "off peak" timings, though not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

what do you mean?

Goes through the village at around 9.30am, goes to Belfield. I tried to ask a bus-driver once what the story was and if he stopped in Bray, but he grunted 'UCD UCD' at me.
    It's not on any schedule, I noticed a similar bus in Kilcoole that goes to Rathmines or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Sounds like it will be a big improvement to the existing service ( especially if you live in Eden Gate ) and one I'm looking forward to.

I couldnt access the map, so couldnt see the new route, I am presuming it is better than the existing one hahaha.

If you need to get 2 buses, the Travel 90 is fab, as you can have unlimited journeys in one 90 min period.

Wooo Hoooo - Good(ish) public trnasport is just around the corner it seems :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Goes through the village at around 9.30am, goes to Belfield. I tried to ask a bus-driver once what the story was and if he stopped in Bray, but he grunted 'UCD UCD' at me.
    It's not on any schedule, I noticed a similar bus in Kilcoole that goes to Rathmines or something.

I've Noticed this before Drivers dont seem to Key in the Correct route Number so ya see lets say a Number 10 Or 16 your like What?!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

the mystery bus!!!!

just had a look at the new route there - if you were going to town (or back from it) you woudl have to change buses from the 145 to the 84 at loughlinstown... not exactly great if you were getting the last bus from town!

would that affect the nightlink too then.........?

jclare56 wrote: »
    if you were going to town (or back from it) you woudl have to change buses from the 145 to the 84 at loughlinstown... not exactly great if you were getting the last bus from town!

true, but the tradeoff is higher frequency on the new route - the last 84 from town also leaves very early (2300) and takes an absolute age to get out to Greystones and Kilcoole - hopefully the new timetable will improve on this.

the 84X will continue to run all the way to town, and presumably the 84N also (although the Nitelink service in general has been reduced over the last couple of years due to falling passenger levels).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The services referred to above are buses returning to the garage in service having done a schools service from Bray to Kilcoole/Newcastle.

Drivers display "3 Belfield" rather than "84 Donnybrook Garage" because so many people assume it is still going all the way to the city because it has the number 84 on it.

This service may still operate if the schools service continues.

jclare56 wrote: »
    the mystery bus!!!!

just had a look at the new route there - if you were going to town (or back from it) you woudl have to change buses from the 145 to the 84 at loughlinstown... not exactly great if you were getting the last bus from town!

There would have to be a guaranteed connection from a 145 to the 84 for this to work, so for example the 145 that would connect into the last 84 would need to be indicated in the timetable.

No change to Nitelinks.

KC61 wrote: »
    There would have to be a guaranteed connection from a 145 to the 84 for this to work, so for example the 145 that would connect into the last 84 would need to be indicated in the timetable.

No change to Nitelinks.

you'd be able to time it better getting the Luas to Cherrywood and then 84, the Luas will be far more likely to arrive at a set time allowing you to make it to the 84.

That said it won't be an option for months and months

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-D...irect-Phase-1/

Phase One of the Network Direct project will involve the redesign of services in the Blanchardstown, Lucan and Stillorgan areas and is due to take place in the summer. We would like to invite customers in those areas to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following dates:

•Stillorgan - Stillorgan Shopping Centre, Wednesday May 12th,
    12.00pm - 6.00pm

We will have staff on hand to answer any of your questions and to explain in full detail the benefits the redesigned service will have for your area.

Route updated. Will now run as far as Belfield but at a lower freqency

see dublinbus.ie > network review section

Route updated. Will now run as far as Belfield but at a lower freqency

see dublinbus.ie > network review section

I think I'd honestly prefer the half hour frequency and stopping at cherrywood, would make more sense! I know that the councillors in Greystones demanded a link to UCD but honestly this is now worse because it has a lower frequency

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

its the worst of both worlds - its still meandering, slow and infrequent, and it no longer even goes all the way into town. If the councillors did object to the original proposal, they're short-sighted idiots (but then we knew that already).

Students travelling at peak times could have got the 84X anyway, and off peak they would have only had to make one change onto the very frequent 145.

loyatemu wrote: »
    its the worst of both worlds - its still meandering, slow and infrequent, and it no longer even goes all the way into town. If the councillors did object to the original proposal, they're short-sighted idiots (but then we knew that already).

They did object because 2 of them are UCD students

Terry Pratchet

well I assume James O'Sullivan objected: http://jamesosullivan.ie/?p=333

Greystones UCD Students 1 - 0 Residents of Kilcoole

Information afternoon
    Phase 1 of the Network Direct Project involves changes to services in North Wicklow/Stillorgan Road N11 and we would like to invite customers in the area to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following date:

Bray – Bray DART Station, Tuesday June 15th, 2.00pm - 8.00pm

We will have staff on hand to answer any of your questions and to explain in full detail the benefits the redesigned service will have for your area.

Further details
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/WicklowStillorgan-Roadshow/

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

loyatemu wrote: »
    well I assume James O'Sullivan objected: http://jamesosullivan.ie/?p=333

"Taking Action, Getting Results"

Misguided action and fairly crap results, it would appear. If he wants to be a County Councillor when he grows up, O'Sullivan should bear in mind that Kilcoole and Newcastle are both part of the Greystones Electoral Area. Helping to deprive a sizeable chunk of his future electorate of a decent bus service is probably not a great long-term career move.

His logic on the whole thing is utterly skewed. In one paragraph, he claims that "it will be ok for those who have weekly or monthly commuter tickets", but then goes on to contradict himself in the next, by suggesting that UCD students (most of whom presumably use pre-paid tickets) will be most affected.

It seems that the process of "Public Consultation" has watered down and destroyed what could have been a rare improvement to a bus service which has barely improved in decades. Maybe Dublin Bus should return to their tried and tested tactic of announcing timetable changes on the eve of implementing them, thus leaving no time for anybody (beleaguered customer or self-interested lobbyist) to object. :pac:

Indeed he could end up being coopted as a county councillor

Terry Pratchet

I should change the title of this thread to "84 - minor route change, still sh!t"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I know there have been threads before but since the network re-jig i wanted to see what the nightlink service is up to these days.

I know the 84N leave D'oiler street, but does it venture as far in as Charlesland?

The DB website says that it leave at 12, 2am and 4am, does it leave promptly? Do more than one bus leave at this time?

They say tickets are €5, where can i purchase the ticket itself?

Thanks in advance

The 84n never went upto charlesland. its last stop is the dart station. They leave sharply on time. There is a ticket bus somewhere that you can buy tickets or else I think buy them on board. The finnegans bus leaves Dublin @ 3am and does goto Charlesland. it leaves from clerys and stops at trinity. Its route through Bray is crazy though. very very indirect

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is no Dublin Bus ticket sales bus anymore for the Nitelinks.

You can buy tickets on the 84N bus itself (exact fare - coins only), or in advance at Dublin Bus Head Office on O'Connell Street or any of the following newsagents in advance:

Centra, D'Olier Street
    Griffins, Grafton Street*
    Londis, College Green*
    Londis, Lower O' Connell Street*
    Londis, St. Stephens Green
    Londis, Westmoreland Street*
    O'Brien's Sandwich Bar, Westmoreland Street*
    The Happy Shop, Burgh Quay
    Reynolds Newsagents Lwr Abbey Street
    Spar, Dame Street
    Spar, Grafton Street*
    Spar, Nassau Street