Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curved Stairs

Options
  • 26-04-2010 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Im looking to find out what is the price difference between a straight stairs and a curved stairs.
    I want to make my stairs a feature but not sure of prices. Im in the Meath area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

maybe double the price but you would have to be more specific in what you are looking for..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newbuildmeath

I have looked up solid wood curved stairs and they are quite expensive.
    Does anybody have concrete curved stairs? Rough price for one? Please pm me any companies that you have dealt with that supply these?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

I got a price off a guy in Kilkenny last year and it came to 210yoyos per rise with 15 rises = 3150:eek::eek:
    Then I would have to clad it in timber.

Whats your buget??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

ronboy wrote: »
    I got a price off a guy in Kilkenny last year and it came to 210yoyos per rise with 15 rises = 3150:eek::eek:
    Then I would have to clad it in timber.

Whats your buget??

Budget is a good question.

You would need a substantial one to pay for a curved stairs complete. Whats your specific requirement, specs ect.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

hi there, solid wood stair differs big time between wood type and wood grades, also the design has to be taken into account, i wont take a rocket scientist to shown that the more detail or fancier design then the higher the price. As for a concrete stairs it would be cheaper to build a frame yourself its quite easy then order a bit of concrete and der ye go, are you going to tile or carpet this concrete stair or whats the plan. Anyway i think Budget plays a big role in what you can do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Krsy

Hi there, I have recently just moved into my new home and like yourself i wanted to make my stairs the main feature in my home.

After alot of hard work i found this man in Galway who works nationwide and was by far the cheapest i found around Ireland.He also recommended another company that were able to do my stairs in Marble at a great price. His name is Tom his website address is www.concretestairs.ie.

I hope this is of help to you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's between 3,500 to 12,000 to clad and fit handrails to a curved stairs, depending on the wood type and specs.

galwayrush wrote: »
    It's between 3,500 to 12,000 to clad and fit handrails to a curved stairs, depending on the wood type and specs.

You could buy a basic curved stairs for 12000 in timber, I would think.

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    You could buy a basic curved stairs for 12000 in timber, I would think.

kadman

Yes you can,:cool:but curved on both sides and additional of curved landings can make it a lot more expensive when it comes to cladding a concrete one.

Yes you can,:cool:but curved on both sides and additional of curved landings can make it a lot more expensive when it comes to cladding a concrete one.

I know what you mean. Its like making a wooden curved stairs, to cover a concrete one.
    I,ve seen some kits on the web for curved stairs, about 2/3 of the price of a joinery made one, I,ve never seen them up close though.

kadman

• Advertisement

I know what you mean. Its like making a wooden curved stairs, to cover a concrete one.
    I,ve seen some kits on the web for curved stairs, about 2/3 of the price of a joinery made one, I,ve never seen them up close though.

kadman
    Saw the kits as well, almost the norm in the States.
    I love making or cladding curved ones, it's the interesting side of joinery for me, getting my own lathe was the last piece in the jig saw to make me self sufficent.

Saw the kits as well, almost the norm in the States.
    I love making or cladding curved ones, it's the interesting side of joinery for me, getting my own lathe was the last piece in the jig saw to make me self sufficent.

What make of lathe did you invest in.

kadman

What make of lathe did you invest in.

kadman

Bought it second hand about 2 years ago, in perfect working order, Cantauro T5.

lathe.jpg

Bought it second hand about 2 years ago, in perfect working order, Cantauro T5.

lathe.jpg

Nice machine, same make as my own, without the copier.:)

I bought mine about 2-3 years ago, second hand. It came out of a training center, with loads and loads of face plates, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, never used. It has the outboard machine unit attachment for massive bowl turning, probably do a 4 foot bowl, I must check tomorrow. Maybe a pic too.:)

kadman

Nice machine, same make as my own, without the copier.:)

I bought mine about 2-3 years ago, second hand. It came out of a training center, with loads and loads of face plates, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, never used. It has the outboard machine unit attachment for massive bowl turning, probably do a 4 foot bowl, I must check tomorrow. Maybe a pic too.:)

kadman

That is impressive, mine isn't suitable for hand turning, i miss that, used to have a manually drived copy lathe, great for self indulgence, but not good enough for making a living on, so upgraded to the hydraulic one, pretty basic compared to the advanced CNC ones LOL.

That is impressive, mine isn't suitable for hand turning, i miss that, used to have a manually drived copy lathe, great for self indulgence, but not good enough for making a living on, so upgraded to the hydraulic one, pretty basic compared to the advanced CNC ones LOL.

Yeah.....but the cnc in your head is more reliable:D:D

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Holy smoke galwayrush and kadman that is one serious lathe!!!!!!

Galwaydude18.............no matter what anyone tells you.......................SIZE DOES MATTER:D:D:D:D

kadman

:cool:
    Fell free to drop in anytime if you want a look.
    No idea where you are in Galway, i'm 10 miles out, N.E direction.;)

I might take you up on that offer galwayrush. :) I will be working in galway city for three or four days this week so might drop over to ya one of the evenings if its a reasonable hour I am going home at! :confused::P:P

Jaysus Kadman I believe it now... :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

I've been looking into shuttering a curved stairs myself, its not anywhere near as easy to manage as a straight flight but I think I'll work it out.Its the prices for cladding ye've mentioned that has me worried... I was thinking of putting on timber treads myself, plastering the sides and back, then getting someone in to do the curved handrail and the spindles...surely that wouldnt cost a reckless amount???

johnpawl wrote: »
    I've been looking into shuttering a curved stairs myself, its not anywhere near as easy to manage as a straight flight but I think I'll work it out.Its the prices for cladding ye've mentioned that has me worried... I was thinking of putting on timber treads myself, plastering the sides and back, then getting someone in to do the curved handrail and the spindles...surely that wouldnt cost a reckless amount???

You will need to have an internal and external, cut string shutter. Of course both will be different tread dimensions. If you are going to try the handrails yourself, you will need to construct an inner, and outer drum, for both handrails, when laminating the curve. And last, but not least, you will need to understand the mechanics of setting out a curved stairs. Difficult, but not impossible for a good carpenter, but not for the squeamish:D

kadman

You will need to have an internal and external, cut string shutter. Of course both will be different tread dimensions. If you are going to try the handrails yourself, you will need to construct an inner, and outer drum, for both handrails, when laminating the curve. And last, but not least, you will need to understand the mechanics of setting out a curved stairs. Difficult, but not impossible for a good carpenter, but not for the squeamish:D

kadman

Hi kadman,Ive built an inner and outer circular partition, at a scale of half size, doing a model shutter first so I can make sure I get it right on the real deal!!!I think I'll leave the handrail, don think I'd manage it, I ve done some laminatin in the past but i dont think I'd manage the helix, figure it might not fit stairs properly after!! surely if I put on timber treads and got the outsides plastered it wouldnt break me to pay some guy to do the handrail??? what you reckon???

Hi kadman,Ive built an inner and outer circular partition, at a scale of half size, doing a model shutter first so I can make sure I get it right on the real deal!!!I think I'll leave the handrail, don think I'd manage it, I ve done some laminatin in the past but i dont think I'd manage the helix, figure it might not fit stairs properly after!! surely if I put on timber treads and got the outsides plastered it wouldnt break me to pay some guy to do the handrail??? what you reckon???

The handrail is quite easy with the use of fitting temporary metal brackets to the cast concrete steps using curve and rise of the concrete steps as an exact template to form the handrail laminations.
    I got some brackets made specially for the job, i can screw them to the steps with simple rawplugs and G cramp the laminations to the upright of the brackets.
    This is a concrete stairs i cladded, but it works well for sharper curves, secret there is to simply use lighter laminate.
    SDC10152.jpg
    SDC10154.jpg
    Dammit, no pic of brackets, i'll take a snap of them tomorrow and post.

Do you clamp the laminations to the metal brackets? Can you explain this a bit more please? Of if you have any pics of it throw them up?

Are all curved handrails made up on site like that and then bought back to the workshop and machined up to the correct profile?

The handrail is quite easy with the use of fitting temporary metal brackets to the cast concrete steps using curve and rise of the concrete steps as an exact template to form the handrail laminations.
    I got some brackets made specially for the job, i can screw them to the steps with simple rawplugs and G cramp the laminations to the upright of the brackets.
    This is a concrete stairs i cladded, but it works well for sharper curves, secret there is to simply use lighter laminate.
    I see what you mean alright, I'd never have thought of that!!how would you machine the correct profile on afterwards?? I might try the handrail on the model see what happens...
    Thanks for the help!

Do you clamp the laminations to the metal brackets? Can you explain this a bit more please? Of if you have any pics of it throw them up?

Are all curved handrails made up on site like that and then bought back to the workshop and machined up to the correct profile?

Yes, the laminations are clamped to a bracket per step.I machine my own handrail laminations, the outside pieces moulded to the finished handrail profile. I then machine an opposite mould to the handrail profile, which i place on the outsides to protect the finished handrail shape, the inner laminations are sized to allow for the plough to take the spindles, then i clamp this on site , leave for 2-3 days, when i bring it back to the workshop, it's only a matter of sanding and spray finishing it.

I see what you mean alright, I'd never have thought of that!!how would you machine the correct profile on afterwards?? I might try the handrail on the model see what happens...
    Thanks for the help!

Have the laminates pre machined to shape, or get a standard off the shelf handrail cut into lamination strips. Saves days work that way.

Ah right I'm with you now. So it is all straight legths of timber pre moulded on the outside edge. Are the middle laminations pre moulded also? So do you clamp accross the laminations and then on top of all the laminations to the brackets so as to the the correct curve on both directions if that makes sense?

• Advertisement

Have the laminates pre machined to shape, or get a standard off the shelf handrail cut into lamination strips. Saves days work that way.

If I cut up an off the shelf handrail myself, wouldnt the saw kerf cause problems when gluing it back together??? I'm guessing putting it through the tablesaw would be a bad idea as the 3mm thickness of the blade would cause probs when gluing??thanks for the info!!keep it coming !!:)

Advertisement