Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terracing to return?

• 26-04-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/lib-dems-call-for-return-to-safe-standing-on-terraces-1950535.html
    Lib Dems call for return to 'safe' standing on terraces

Controversial policy pledge revealed to The Independent gains support from hundreds of thousands of fans

As Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg prepare for tonight's second televised election debate, the Liberal Democrats are again presenting themselves as agents of change, this time in the sporting arena, by announcing their desire for the return of "safe standing" at football grounds.

In an interview with The Independent today, Don Foster, spokesman for culture, media and sport, commits to investigating whether the insistence on all-seater stadiums in the top two English football divisions could safely be brought to an end.

The issue is extremely popular with many fans who see it as a way to combat escalating ticket prices and resurrect the atmosphere stands enjoyed before 1994, when all-seater stadiums became compulsory. The call will be controversial with other fans groups, however, who maintain that in the light of the Hillsborough disaster – the 21st anniversary of which was marked last week – a return to standing should be opposed on safety grounds.

Foster states: "The Liberal Democrats are committed to exploring options for introducing safe standing at football grounds in consultation with fans, clubs and safety experts and have passed a motion at our party conference to this effect. The evidence from countries like Germany shows that safe standing can operate effectively and safely to give fans more choice about how they enjoy the game."

The Liberal Democrats tabled a conference motion on safe standing in 2008, when Foster said: "This is a sensitive issue. But we cannot ignore the large numbers of fans who want to stand."

The Taylor Report into the Hillsborough tragedy, in which 96 fans died, cited errant policing, poor stadium design and bad sign-posting as key factors, and added that standing was not intrinsically unsafe. The report led to a raft of safety regulations that heralded the all-seater stadiums synonymous with the Premier League era.

The move to "safe standing" is not to be dismissed as an election issue. It is important to fans groups and the Football Supporters' Federation, a national umbrella group with 176,000 members, has actively campaigned for the re-introduction of standing at Premier League grounds for years.

The FSF points to European grounds with big, cheap and safe standing areas, like the 24,000-people terrace at Borussia Dortmund, and a terrace at Klagenfurt in Austria in a stadium built for Euro 2008. New stadiums in the United States also have standing, like a 2,500-people standing area opened this season at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, home of the Colorado Rapids, owned by Stan Kroenke, a major shareholder at Arsenal. The Rapids' standing area "was introduced at the request of supporters" say the club, and is the first of its kind in a major American sports league.

Steven Powell, the FSF's director of policy told The Independent last night: "Standing isn't a nostalgic 20th century throwback. It's the future. Look at Germany, Austria, the US and Canada. It's a choice that fans want, including those who prefer to sit. It's safe and it's inclusive. To maintain the ban in the face of the evidence is illogical, arrogant and perverse."

All-seater stadiums retain the firm support of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, which states: "There's no such thing as safe standing." The Government remains opposed to the reintroduction of standing.

As Gerry Sutcliffe, minister for sport and tourism, tells The Independent today: "There have been dramatic improvements in safety and Germany is a case in point but the practicalities of re-profiling new stadiums plus the cost would be a huge issue. It would need a dramatic shift in football authority opinion backed by clear evidence before government would look at supporting any change to existing policy."

So what do we think? Good idea? I'd love it to be back.

Would you be happy to see terracing return? 112 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    75%
    SickBoyPHBPiENeil3030Dont be at yourselfCiaranCPepe LeFritsSeanehDempseyHelixtherecklessoneChucky the treegrowlergimmickKingp35ErinGoBrath_blank_RoarapplehunterA Dub in Glasgo 84 votes
    Don't care
    25%
    Paulwsuper_furryCivilServantBogglesBrando_ieel rabitosMr.Nice Guydelta_bravoOPENROADlikeacodLuckyLloydThe Sparrowdfx-M5Dancorflahavajwill1977DaemosTheZohanSx43r0 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

its done in the Bundesliga so why not ?

It will never be allowed in UEFA club comps I wouldnt have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No
    I always thought it odd we could put a man on the moon, but couldn't design an enclosure of tiered steps that could house a few thousand people without risking a disaster.

Surely it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No
    Safe Standing ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

No it would ruin our game

Oh wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

No
    great idea. safe terracing should be easily achievable in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't care
    Meh, this will be received positively by football fans everywhere but I shall remain solidly against it. Implementing the recommendations in the Taylor report held a wider symbolic significance for English football in the aftermath of Hillsborough and a particularly grim decade as far as the match going experience up and down the UK was concerned. Football has undoubtedly been sanitised in the UK as a result of those changes, but I find it impossible to argue that the overall shift in how the game is supported is not a positive one on balance. And given that the Hillsborough incident itself remains unresolved in the eyes of many who were most strongly affected by it, doing this now would smack of a certain amount of forgetfulness and disrespect in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Don't care
    Why take the chance?

Seating in England has 100% safety record. Standing hasn't.

Ridiculous idea, and quite simple an attempt to get cheap votes.

No
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh, this will be received positively by football fans everywhere but I shall remain solidly against it. Implementing the recommendations in the Taylor report held a wider symbolic significance for English football in the aftermath of Hillsborough and a particularly grim decade as far as the match going experience up and down the UK was concerned. Football has undoubtedly been sanitised in the UK as a result of those changes, but I find it impossible to argue that the overall shift in how the game is supported is not a positive one on balance. And given that the Hillsborough incident itself remains unresolved in the eyes of many who were most strongly affected by it, doing this now would smack of a certain amount of forgetfulness and disrespect in my view.

Surely time has moved on though. Not to be dismissing the Hillsborough disaster as irrelevant history, but society, technology, law enforcement and engineering practices have come on in such leaps and bounds since 1989.

I don't think the symbolic significance of the Taylor report would be in any way lessened by revisiting the issue of terraces today, considering the progress society has made since.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hooligans standing = bad
    Non-hooligans sitting = bad
    Non-hooligans standing = good?

Or does standing turn the law-abiding citizen into a monster?

No
    Hooligans standing = bad
    Non-hooligans sitting = bad
    Non-hooligans standing = good?

Or does standing turn the law-abiding citizen into a monster?

Well there aren't too many crimes you can commit while sitting down to be fair.

Internet fraud, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No
    Boggles wrote: »
    an attempt to get cheap votes.

Plainly what it is, yes.

But, I never really sit down at football anyway, apart from half time if I don't go in the bar.

Don't care
    Des wrote: »
    Plainly what it is, yes.

But, I never really sit down at football anyway, apart from half time if I don't go in the bar.

Knew it sounded familiar.

"But despite Tony Blair and other senior Labour politicians saying they were in favour of the idea when in opposition, they changed their position when in power."

As I said cheap votes.

It's not really about sitting down, it's about the safetly of having your own space.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Blofeldpleasance67.jpg

Divil a one.

No
    Knew it sounded familiar.

"But despite Tony Blair and other senior Labour politicians saying they were in favour of the idea when in opposition, they changed their position when in power."

As I said cheap votes.

It's not really about sitting down, it's about the safetly of having your own space.
    The models used in some other european leagues where there standing areas is that you still have a numbered space assigned to you as far as i know.

No
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well there aren't too many crimes you can commit while sitting down to be fair.

Internet fraud, maybe.

Hmmm....and internet fraud HAS increased exponentially since enforced seating has come in....ergo internet fraud is a direct result of all seater stadiums!

QED.

Don't care
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    The models used in some other european leagues where there standing areas is that you still have a numbered space assigned to you as far as i know.

Haha.

A number chalked on the ground like?

If a goal went in you could end up 40 yards from your assigned space. How would you find it again?

No
    Haha.

If a goal went in you could end up 40 yards from your assigned space. How would you find it again?

GPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

People stand in the PL as is anyways, even though there is narky elf & safe tee types present ready to prosecute the club as Villa have found out in recent seasons, but putting in terracing to house the 'core' supporters is a must.

Standing means a way better atmosphere & cheaper tickets. The Taylor report was needed to bring English footballs crumbling stadia into the modern era but completely abolishing terracing was throwing the baby out with the dishwater.

No
    Haha.

Works fairly well in Germany. Don't think there'd be that much movement-especially with barriers throughout spread throughout the terrace to try and minimise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think that it would make for much better atmospheres (hate being told to sit down at Old Trafford) but for safety reasons I would prefer it not to come back I guess. Just not worth the risk imo

• Advertisement

No
    All you need to do is section off the terrace, to prevent too big a body of people entering one area. You then put lateral barriers every 5 or 6 steps to prevent forward surges.

Bobs your teapot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No
    I'd love it to return, I way prefer standing at football, tbh. Way better craic and atmosphere.

Don't care
    Works fairly well in Germany.

So does 24 hour bars. Doesn't mean it would work elsewhere.
    Don't think there'd be that much movement-especially with barriers throughout spread throughout the terrace to try and minimise that.

When watching a football match and something happens instinctively you move forward. It's a fact. Seating prevents this.

A whole generation grew up without terraces, but the polls suggest 90%+ of football fans want them back. Doesn't make sense.

If the government or government elect are serious about getting "atmosphere" and young fans back into the stadia, they should offer tax breaks or incentives in exchange for a lower priced block ticket program.

Can't see that happening some how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

No
    Des wrote: »
    Plainly what it is, yes.

I know we live in a cynical age, but isn't it just the teeniest bit possible that the Lib Dems have listened to football supporters (the FSF and other fans organisations have campaigned for the reintroduction of terracing for ages) and actually responded to their concerns?

On a general note, isn't it also the case that while Taylor concluded that all-seater stadiums are safer, that terracing is in itself not intrinsically unsafe? If it was, why is there no all-seater requirement below the Championship?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Don't care
    No..no need. A relaxation on people standing in seated areas is more needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So does 24 hour bars. Doesn't mean it would work elsewhere.

When watching a football match and something happens instinctively you move forward. It's a fact. Seating prevents this.

A whole generation grew up without terraces, but the polls suggest 90%+ of footballs want them back. Doesn't make sense.

If the government or government elect are serious about getting "atmosphere" and young fans back into the stadia, they should offer tax breaks or incentives in exchange for a lower priced block ticket program.

Can't see that happening some how.

Do you actually go to many matches?? The vast majority of regular fans want a return to terracing.

No
    dfx- wrote: »

Who gets priority, the bloke standing when he should be sitting, or the one behind who can't see through him when they want to sit down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No
    dfx- wrote: »

This would solve a lot of the problems, I hate being told to sit down whenever I'm in OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Lazy-boys ftw!

• Advertisement

Good idea if done correctly but as a few have already mentioned it's only a way to get a few votes.

Nothing will probably come of it.

I alao hate sitting at a match, fcuking hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

No
    We have terracing in GAA grounds here so why not in the PL , imagine a proper atmosphere it be like a cup final .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

No
    I know we live in a cynical age, but isn't it just the teeniest bit possible that the Lib Dems have listened to football supporters (the FSF and other fans organisations have campaigned for the reintroduction of terracing for ages) and actually responded to their concerns?

On a general note, isn't it also the case that while Taylor concluded that all-seater stadiums are safer, that terracing is in itself not intrinsically unsafe? If it was, why is there no all-seater requirement below the Championship?

It was the case, most people wouldn't have read the report though (and it's quite long so I don't blame them).
    Getting rid of terracing was the easiest solution available to Taylor, and he was under pressure to find one.

Terracing is safely used in plenty of places, how many of us have been on Hill 16 or the terraces at Lansdowne Road without incident ?

Thankfully we have Gardai who are experienced enough to know how to manage the public at a match /event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No
    It can be introduced so it is safe. Barriers every five or six steps and a strict ticketing and admittance policy would go a long way. Stadiums wouldn't have to become all-standing stadiums. Designate one stand or one tier for terracing, and let those who want to sit, sit.

A nice side effect would be that clubs wouldn't have to mortgage themselves up to the eyeballs to move to bigger and better stadiums - capacity could be safely increased overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Don't care
    But do the clubs themselves really want to go back to terracing?

Personally hope we never see the return to terracing.

No
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    But do the clubs themselves really want to go back to terracing?

No, and that more than anything will kill any initiative along these lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Don't care
    No, and that more than anything will kill any initiative along these lines.

Exactly clubs more than happy with the way things are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

No
    I rarely sit down at matches if ever.

Spoiled my Anfield experience having stewards telling me to sit down etc..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No
    Never sit for matches either, one of the few advantages of having a poorly supported league :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Don't care
    Do you actually go to many matches?? The vast majority of regular fans want a return to terracing.

:confused:

It says it in my post. 90% + want terraces back?

Don't care

No chance.

Here is another of their election promises

"Help protect children and young people from developing negative body images by regulating airbrushing in adverts”

How? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Don't care
    We have terracing in GAA grounds here so why not in the PL , imagine a proper atmosphere it be like a cup final .

GAA fans know how to behave and intermingle freely at matches.

Don't care
    25th anniversary of this next month.

Like all major tragedies there is mitigating factors and of course this is as extreme as it gets.

25 years is not that long ago and this is one of the reasons health and safety is taken so seriously when you have 50,000+ people coming together in a relatively small place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EpPgsR2U7s&feature=related

No
    25th anniversary of this next month.

Like all major tragedies there is mitigating factors and of course this is as extreme as it gets.

25 years is not that long ago and this is one of the reasons health and safety is taken so seriously when you have 50,000+ people coming together in a relatively small place.

You realise you've just linked to a fire that took place in an all-seated stand, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Don't care
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Agree 100 per cent with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No
    People stand in the PL as is anyways, even though there is narky elf & safe tee types present ready to prosecute the club as Villa have found out in recent seasons, but putting in terracing to house the 'core' supporters is a must.

Standing means a way better atmosphere & cheaper tickets. The Taylor report was needed to bring English footballs crumbling stadia into the modern era but completely abolishing terracing was throwing the baby out with the dishwater.

Agreed, the state of stadia in England coupled with the half baked ideas to combat hooliganism were the biggest contributing factors to the disaster.

Terracing would only be bad if crowd control was poor but that aspect is well managed in the UK these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No
    It'd be outstanding. As someone who constantly gets told to sit down when he's at Old Trafford, I'd be really happy for it. Atmosphere is so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

No
    I'd love it. Surely clubs would too, a chance to double the capacity of stands that change to terracing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's the Lib Dems, if Liverpool was a potential swing vote, they'd be all for banning Americans from owning British football clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'd love it. Surely clubs would too, a chance to double the capacity of stands that change to terracing.

The likes of Man United wouldnt do a complete conversion because of the rules of European Competition. The top clubs would probably just convert one of the stands for the hardcore supporters that go everywhere to support their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

No
    flahavaj wrote: »
    GAA fans know how to behave and intermingle freely at matches.

What are you trying to say ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement