Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby/Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thats the same the world over, not just an Irish thing. Success always brings the spoils, that is the way it goes.
    Rugby has always been big in Limerick, long before it turned Pro. It Munster were to struggle as a team, a few may leave but most would not, I suspect.

Exactly.

Look at the French. If their national team is losing badly the boo them and some even walk out in disgust.

In Brazil( I think it was anyway ) many years ago their keeper was shot dead because they lost some game.

The thing about Munster, as a region, is that it has a strong rugby heritage with schools still concentrating heavily on Rugby whereas Connaught does not meaning we can find more Paul O'Connels, Stringers, O'Gara's as they grow old and retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Well it is the home of Irish Rugby after all. There is a long standing tradition of Rugby in Limerick. Look at the number of junior clubs competing in the AIL alone.
    I agree with other posters, Heineken Cup Rugby weekends in Limerick are some of the best weekends of the year. Travelling supporters have been generous in their praise of the hospitality so we must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I have a confession to make:

I think I may have cost Munster the match against Ospreys last weekend because, despite requests to do so, I refused to sush in the pub when O'Gara was taking one of his kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Berty wrote: »
    Exactly.

Look at the French. If their national team is losing badly the boo them and some even walk out in disgust.

In Brazil( I think it was anyway ) many years ago their keeper was shot dead because they lost some game.

The thing about Munster, as a region, is that it has a strong rugby heritage with schools still concentrating heavily on Rugby whereas Connaught does not meaning we can find more Paul O'Connels, Stringers, O'Gara's as they grow old and retire.

You're comparing national sides to club sides, not a comparison in my view
    The player you are on about what Columbian, and a full back, and was shot by the drug cartels who had bet big money on a game at the 94 WC.

Even going on the Schools bit, The difference between players playing now and when I was in school is huge. Soccer still outnumbers rugby in playing base but the Muster success has seen lots more players taking up the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I have a confession to make:

I think I may have cost Munster the match against Ospreys last weekend because, despite requests to do so, I refused to sush in the pub when O'Gara was taking one of his kicks.

What was your reason for this? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I refused to sush in the pub when O'Gara was taking one of his kicks.

Its been a while since a kicker had total silence at a game in Thomond Park itself sadly, one thing the new TP does not have is the same atmosphere as the old ground had, All Blacks and Northapton games excluded its fairly dull, when Munster are on the ropes the 'worlds greatest fans' are very slow to react. Though only having 2 songs (one of which is nothing to do with anywhere in Munster:o:o:o) might explain it.

Ah well, surely they will hammer Biarritz, its only a small town with 27.000 people in it afterall. Compare that to the 1.1 Million living in Munster and its a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

But MRSC are giving out free car flags. FREE CAR FLAGS.

The match is presumably won as all the extra Flags around Limerick and Cork(only giving them out in Limerick and Cork) will truly help the team. :D

http://www.mrsc.ie/News_Detail.aspx?rowid=45566

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You're dead right, if that needs to be explained to you, then you really never will understand.

Give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

This should explain it nicely for you:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

When I hear some overweight, beerswilling, non-athletic tosser going on about 'we', in any sport, I have to resist the urge to go postal.

It'll all go off one day, and one poor sod will get an almight box in the chin and atone for the sins of the thousands of useless barflies that have annoyed me down the years with this 'we' bol-lix. As they say in the Lotto, it could be you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

God help them when they start singing "Where once we watched the small freebirds...."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

GWAN MUNSTER

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

osarusan wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say that I take a perverse pleasure in seeing Munster lose.

I do too, purely because it shuts people up for a while about it. If Munster were on a losing streak you can bet the plastic fans would cease interest in their droves. I'm sick of people asking me about "the match" "you watching the match?" "where you going to watch the match?" "who do you think will win the match?" then watching their dumbfounded look when I reply "what match?" I dont watch rugby and have pretty much zero interest in it so why would I know theres a match on? i dont care!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What was your reason for this? :confused:

Does it matter? how does a person talking in a pub watching a game on tv affect the game in any way whatsoever? if he was in the crowd at the game fine, quieten down so the guy can concentrate, but these people that tell you to shut up because a GUY ON TV is about to take a kick is just idiotic.

And dont get me started on the "we" crowd "we won the heineken cup!" errr, no you didnt, you had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of a game, sitting in a pub getting pissed and yelling at the tv doesnt make you a part of the team "they" played the game not "we".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I was asking Itsdacraic for his reason... I am just curious whats the reason for being stubborn about it when he was asked to be quite but wouldnt.

There seems to be alot of resentment for whatever reasons.

Life is too short guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I was asking Itsdacraic for his reason... I am just curious whats the reason for being stubborn about it when he was asked to be quite but wouldnt.

There seems to be alot of resentment for whatever reasons.

Life is too short guys :)

Limerick_Lass
    it was a joke; There's a point of pride in Thomond Park that no matter whats at stake or how fierce the competition is on the Pitch - when a Conversion or Penalty is being taken you have to STFU.

- Of late it has been reported that lots of 'Fans' go to Thomond Park primarily to drink beer and sing. They jeer and boo during kicks and are detested for it as it is considered poor Sportsmanship.

I'd make the point though that I've always remembered them screaming at any opposing Full Back that ever stood under a high ball; Always seemed hypocritical to me.

Given that MeCatsOnCrack was in the Pub when he refused to Shut up should have been your cue to Alt-F4.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

krudler wrote: »

And dont get me started on the "we" crowd "we won the heineken cup!" errr, no you didnt, you had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of a game, sitting in a pub getting pissed and yelling at the tv doesnt make you a part of the team "they" played the game not "we".

Without support a team/club is nothing. The supporters pay for everything either directly by buying tickets to see their club play or buying merchandise. They also pay inderectly as sponsors will advertise through the club. A club without supporters is one without sponsors.

So in effect the supporters are a major factor to a team being successful. Fans have every right to say "we won <insert comp here>" becasue they played a small but collective part in getting that club to where they are and where they are going.

You say you have zero interest in rugby, your comments are pretty passionate maybe your more interested than you think.

Advertisement