Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Split/Second

• 26-04-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

Demo just released today (808mb).

This game looks like great fun. With all the AAA titles out in May, this might be relegated to a rental, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Add to your download queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Mr E wrote: »
    Demo just released today (808mb).

This game looks like great fun. With all the AAA titles out in May, this might be relegated to a rental, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Oooohh. I liked blur and people were saying this will be better than blur.
    May as well download and see what the difference is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

dunno how people can say its better than blur without playing SS. im looking forward to the demo, should be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fu. King. Awe. Some. :)

Very fast and great fun. AI is a cheating rubberbanding sumbitch, though.... Pipped at the post 3 games in a row by a last minute power play from the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

hmmm.. i wouldnt be that mad about it. It was entertaining the 2 races I played, but I think it would get a bit monotonous once you know where all the powerplays are..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

It's decent enough. Ain't no Burnout though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

It's fun, but it's not quite what I was expecting. I'm hoping there's a good bit of variation and depth to the full game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Slugs quick capsule review: Fubared...

Coming from the team that designed Pure, I was expecting better. But the game doesn't even come within an inch of pure. It looks like the game developers presented you with a controller, said "this is to turn, this is to speed up [NO ****ING SPEDOMETER, WTF?] and this is how to blow **** up, get on the track, blow some crazy **** up and we'll see you in 3 laps"

The game oversteers a lot, and the premise, while an interesting one, just isn't executed well. I know it's a demo, but from a first glance, I won't be giving this another look.

I'm obviously easily amused so. :)
    Definite rental, though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Right finally got round to playing this for a few games last night and i have to say i like blur a lot better. And there are only set times when you can use the Secondary power up. And having an event just at the last corner could annoy a lot of people. Other than that it's not grabbing me by the shoulders and saying play me. And two buttons for the primary power up ( i mean you can press x or b)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

gotta agree with everyone, its by no means a bad game, it looks great and its quick but the powerplays are not as well implemented as the developers let on. Blur for me too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

I think like Blur this game will get boring quickly IMO. The only thing this game has got is graphics, especially the explosions.

The gameplay is really simple, right trigger to drive, left trigger to brake, and then the A, B, X buttons for explosions. I can't see how it will get anymore exciting after driving around the same levels again and again with the same set areas for the powerplays.

If I were rich I'd buy it, and Blur....and every single game I could get my hands on. :D

I was playing it again last night (about 10th game overall) and a bloody plane landed on me! That was the first time that happened, so I think it has the scope to keep surprising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah demo was OK, but Blur had more of a 'wow' effect. I think that could be down to humans v AI though. It was immensely satisfying to wreck like 5 cars at once, but Blur felt like it needed more skills and tactics. Interesting to see two ambitious and visceral racing games in such a short period, but if I go for one I'll be going for Blur.

That said, the plane landing bit is pretty fantastic. If they up the dynamic nature of other tracks then it could still surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I thoroghly enjoyed this game, might pick this one up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

Mr E wrote: »
    ...With all the AAA titles out in May...

What titles?

I know alan wake, but what else?

Lost Planet 2 (big letdown apparently)
    Blur
    Alpha Protocol
    Red Dead Redemption
    Prince of Persia

Skate 3 and UFC2010 are also out (AAA for some people) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

In the summer i cant wait to rent out Alan wake,blur and ufc

Advertisement