Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

speakers pc problem

• 26-04-2010 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Tesco Value speakers, model H16BD9.plugged into a sony vaio laptop.
    One of the speakers has an on /off switch and a volume
    Sound is very low/whisper and turning up any makes it crackling sound. Is it the speakers or the computer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Check the volume on the PC (the speaker icon beside the clock in the bottom right if using Windows) - if using speakers like that I normally set the PC speaker volume relatively loud, then control the volume through the external speakers. If you have the PC volume quite low it could make that hissy noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ClonmelHills

Thoie wrote: »
    Check the volume on the PC (the speaker icon beside the clock in the bottom right if using Windows) - if using speakers like that I normally set the PC speaker volume relatively loud, then control the volume through the external speakers. If you have the PC volume quite low it could make that hissy noise.
    Thanks but I have the pc speakers high and have tried them at various levels

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

The crackling sound is due to the volume knob being moved (cheapies are always worse)
    and the poor quality is probably due to lack of a decent sound card, I use a Sound Blaster card, external amplifier, Bose speakers and the sound is really awesome...

RichieO wrote: »
    The crackling sound is due to the volume knob being moved (cheapies are always worse)
    OK
    and the poor quality is probably due to lack of a decent sound card,
    I need a different sound card in the laptop?
    I use a Sound Blaster card, external amplifier, Bose speakers and the sound is really awesome...
    OK I do not really need it to be awsome just quite good to hear would do. Do i need an ext amp?

Do the tesco speakers plug in the mains?

• Advertisement

Do the tesco speakers plug in the mains?
    yes they do.Is that good? Do yours? Should i be looking for ones that don't ?Thanks

It means there is a mains powered amp in there, hence the volume knob, the problem may be the settings on computer for the output, you should be getting better results than you are...

It means there is a mains powered amp in there, hence the volume knob, ..
    Oh I see
    the problem may be the settings on computer for the output, you should be getting better results than you are.
    ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There should really be three separate volumes dials.

The one in the bottom right hand side of your screen(with the icons), the one on the program you are using and the one on the speakers themselves.

Check all three are turned up. Put each to about eighty.

There should really be three separate volumes dials.

The one in the bottom right hand side of your screen(with the icons), the one on the program you are using and the one on the speakers themselves.

Check all three are turned up. Put each to about eighty.
    I am not sure what you mean by program. For example i am now listening to a documentary online

• Advertisement

Try this first:
    1. go to control panel
    2. open device controllers
    3. from the list find sound video game controllers
    4. click on the little + sign
    5. make a note of the sound card name
    6. find name this in your programmes list
    7. open the programme and check the settings...

Try this first:
    1. go to control panel
    2. open device controllers
    3. from the list find sound video game controllers
    4. click on the little + sign
    5. make a note of the sound card name
    6. find name this in your programmes list
    7. open the programme and check the settings...
    It says high definition audio device. Also I have already gone to manage audio devices/sound in the control panel where under playback tab this is called speakers high definition audio device.When i double click it and check the level it is high

Might be worth trying the speakers on another pc to compare results, preferably a desktop (as most lappies have crap sound built in) then, if the sound was still bad, take the speakers back to Tesco, get an old Hi Fi amp & speakers and use them instead...

Tried it on a desktop which has NVIDIA High def audio. Sometime it s not bad playing a youtube track but mostly it is all crackle and noise

Advertisement