Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picnic table build

Options
  • 26-04-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

Have found a few instructions on the net for building myself a picanic table like the ones you'd see in public parks etc.

Just wondering if anyone here could recommend the best type of timber to use and cheapest place to get it, treated wood I'd imagine.

Thanks in advance, very useful forum this!

/Kohhal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

try and get a non grooved decking board if possible. will be pretty smooth compared to other pressure treated timber and is usually quite well made. should be available in most timber merchants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Id skip that last comment if i were you. Just get any hardwood the cheaper the better, Deckind doesnt come in large enough sizes to hold the weight of a family. You could double up etc but your making work for your self. The timber also does not need to be pressur impregnated if you dont mind painting. Can of preservative and stain or 2 in one will do perfect. Its not a big job to maintain a park bench as its very small it will take 1 hour once a year and it should last a lifetime. If you go for a soft wood make sure its a good type otherwise your work will look very old very soon. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

well i built one 10 years ago from the stuff and no problem with it yet so think its stood up pretty well compared to any ive seen hardwood or not and never had a coat of paint

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

try and get a non grooved decking board if possible. will be pretty smooth compared to other pressure treated timber and is usually quite well made. should be available in most timber merchants.

I,d be inclined to agree that this would be the cheapest quickest option, as your material is readily available and cheap. If memory serves me well I see b&q selling 8 foot decking lengths for less than 4 euro.

Hardwood material is probably longer lasting, but that will be reflected in the price. Horses for courses I suppose.:)

kadman

Advertisement