Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Hayes & Caoimhin O'Raghallaigh

Options
  • 26-04-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Oh my God......... I am almost in tears listening to this music on the radio now. It's both of these fiddle players together, they are my favourite musicians- I can't believe I am hearing this. I always wondered what would more layers of Caoimhin sound like- if he played with others like him... this is unbelievably beautiful.

Does anyone know is this on a cd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

From Martin Hayes' website:

April 28, Wed: Ireland: Dublin 8, St. Audeon’s Church, High St., 087-272-2648, Martin Hayes with Peadar Ó Riada, Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh. Tour celebrating the release of the album Triúr (3) Sa Draighean, featuring sixteen new compositions by Peadar Ó Riada.
    I always wondered what would more layers of Caoimhin sound like- if he played with others like him...

I would say it's the other way around. Caoimhin would have been influenced by the likes of Martin Hayes (if not mostly). I would be a big fan of Martin Hayes and have seen him in concert a few times, but thought Caoimhin's own album was a bit too "out there" for me. His album with Mick O'Brien is a good listen though. This album sounds like it could be a good listen also.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

I am going to St Audeon's on Wednesday (28th April) . I am really looking forward to the gig and the new CD.
    If you want to hear layers of Caoimhin check out his solo album "Where the one eyed man is king". He recorded layer over layer of fiddles on that CD. I like it but be warned - it is a little "out there" and maybe not everyone's cup of tea. I think its good though! What is more than good is his duet album with Mick O'Brien. That for me was the best trad album of the decade. My next favourite was "Welcome Here Again" by Martin Hayes so I'm in luck on wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Kitty Lie over is my favourite traditional (instrumental) album of all, absolutely incredible. Caoimhin did change a lot in his 'Where the one eyed man is king' and I did enjoy it in a way, but it did go too far away from the traditional for me. It was still a really creative, original and lovely album.

So Triúr is the brand new cd then? Cannot wait. The track I heard today is really beautiful- for that alone it will be worth it!

When I said more layers of Caoimhin I meant in the sense of their being x5 the level of intensity and brilliance of his trad playing! Not so much the layering in the solo album.. but Martin Hayes will do :p

Joking! Actually can we have Jerry Harrington, Maurice Lennon, Caoimhin and Martin Hayes please?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Sorry Pog It I am being a little too literal!

BTW Caoimhín has recently released an album with Catherine McEvoy and Michael O'Raghallaigh called "Comb your hair and curl it". It's very very good as well. Definitely worth your while checking it out.

Advertisement