Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you dont want to get married in the Park Hotel Dung, where do you go???

Options
  • 26-04-2010 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hello all!
    I am getting married next year in Abbeyside church. Myself and my fiance have been looking at the dungarvan, lismore, ardmore area for decent hotels and it has been so frustrating!!
    All that area is amazing scenery but not one decent hotel in the area!! (you have to win the lotto for the Cliff House Hotel) Unless you go to the Park Hotel but we dont want to go there as it just like every other hotel in the country.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? We loved Lismore but the hotel is a bit dated. We are hoping for a wedding of about 130 people.
    Please help!!!!!
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

waterford castle??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

What about Lawlors, Clonea or The Gold Coast? I've been to some great weddings at all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

check out Richmond House in Cappoquin too .... 130 might be a bit big,

Clonea & the Gold Coast are grand too.

Garyvoe in Cork is a popular option too.

Park is always good craic for weddings ...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

hi - how come you don't like the Park hotel? Clonea/Gold coast are v. dated IMO. We looked at them back in Jan when planning our reception. Were getting married this Sept - picked the Park, for a few reasons.... they have events every weekend and I never hear bad reports about food/service etc. They have plenty accom on site - we have about 40 rooms booked with guests already and 8-9 of their houses. Most of the guests are not from the area. Just wondering why you don't like it? To be honest, never thought I'd have my reception there, thought it would be in a country manor somewhere, but am happy out with the decision now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 deisebride

thanks a mill for your responses. We looked at the Gold Coast - so dated. I will check out Richmond House and we are going to look at Clonea this weekend.
    We looked at the Byview in Ballycotton but it might be a bit small so we will also look at Garryvoe.

We didnt want the Park becuase it has nothing different. A wedding there would feel the same as every other wedding anyone has been to. We wanted something a little bit different.

Thanks for all the reponses again ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

Hiya,

Got married in Colligan church a few yrs ago and we went to Raheen House in Clonmel its only 25 mins over the road and it was good room holds about 100 people

V true bout gold coast and other hotels in Dungarvan they arent great.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

deisebride wrote: »
    thanks a mill for your responses. We looked at the Gold Coast - so dated. I will check out Richmond House and we are going to look at Clonea this weekend.
    We looked at the Byview in Ballycotton but it might be a bit small so we will also look at Garryvoe.

We didnt want the Park becuase it has nothing different. A wedding there would feel the same as every other wedding anyone has been to. We wanted something a little bit different.

Thanks for all the reponses again ;)

if i'm honest you sound just a teensy weensy bit snobbish! what do you mean by different??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Would hiring a marquee and getting caterers in be an option? They can supply everything and it can work out cheaper than the hotel option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

I think park hotel is great. Food there is fantastic. Very handy as its in the town itself. I hate weddings where you have to drive 20+ mins between hotel and church.

lawlors has supposedly been done up. Clonea and gold coast are very dated allright.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

if i'm honest you sound just a teensy weensy bit snobbish! what do you mean by different??

Why does wanting something a bit 'different' have to mean snobbish? While I think it is ridiculous spending loads of money on a wedding reception, that's just my opinion, and the OP should be able to ask for suggestions without having to defend what she is doing.

• Advertisement

While I think it is ridiculous spending loads of money on a wedding reception, that's just my opinion, and the OP should be able to ask for suggestions without having to defend what she is doing.

Previous poster was just stating their opinion as well. Nobody has to defend their choices. OP asked for opinions; even if it wasn't helpful it was an opinion!

deisebride, you could do a whole weddings by franc thing on it. Just theme up whatever hotel you go for? You dont have to have something massively different but some nice additions would work a treat. Its your day and do whatever you want but just remember people aren't judging it and if they are they're not worth the invite....!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

deisebabe wrote: »
    Previous poster was just stating their opinion as well. Nobody has to defend their choices. OP asked for opinions; even if it wasn't helpful it was an opinion!

She was asking for opinions about her wedding reception, not her personality.

looksee wrote: »
    She was asking for opinions about her wedding reception, not her personality.
    I'd class this as one and the same. The reception is going to be a reflection of the brides personality. Maybe the b2b is a bit snobbish and therefore suggesting lawlors is a waste of time whereas suggesting waterford castle might be more in keeping. Its no harm if the bride is snobbish. I'll put a nice spin on that comment and assume it was to gauge the venues that should be suggested rather than judging the bride :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mariemarie

The Park hotel is hard to beat !! since the wedding venue has been done up it really is lovely !! and in particular the garden / smoking area is just off the ballroom , keeping your guests nearby all night , unlike other venues where the crowd is split up all night a mile away from the room itself ... the garden area is lovely for pre dinner drinks and you could have something special organised for that area on arrival , which would also be nice to ensure the guests go from the church straight there instead of them all going off to pubs and arriving late to the hotel !!

the food and service is consistent there and that is important !!
    the room looks fantastic and after that , your own personal touches will give you that liitle bit of individuality , eg , chair covers , candles , flowers & gifts for your guests !!
    they are very good to residents later on in the night for drinks !!
    also , they have a number of cottages out the back of the hotel , perfect for groups of family and friends !!

The choice is yours , ive just written this in case you didnt know some of this stuff .... out of all the hotel venues in Dungarvan it is by far the best !!! your other options are to go out of Dungarvan of course , thats where i dont have a genuine reccommendation ....

also your choice of band and DJ will ensure your wedding is not the same as every other wedding youve been to !!!!! i know what you mean by that !!

best of luck with it all......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Howya Pierce ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mariemarie

no.... this isnt Pierce......:)

and i dont work in the park hotel !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

mariemarie wrote: »
    The Park hotel is hard to beat !! since the wedding venue has been done up it really is lovely !! and in particular the garden / smoking area is just off the ballroom , keeping your guests nearby all night , unlike other venues where the crowd is split up all night a mile away from the room itself ... the garden area is lovely for pre dinner drinks and you could have something special organised for that area on arrival , which would also be nice to ensure the guests go from the church straight there instead of them all going off to pubs and arriving late to the hotel !!

the food and service is consistent there and that is important !!
    the room looks fantastic and after that , your own personal touches will give you that liitle bit of individuality , eg , chair covers , candles , flowers & gifts for your guests !!
    they are very good to residents later on in the night for drinks !!
    also , they have a number of cottages out the back of the hotel , perfect for groups of family and friends !!

The choice is yours , ive just written this in case you didnt know some of this stuff .... out of all the hotel venues in Dungarvan it is by far the best !!! your other options are to go out of Dungarvan of course , thats where i dont have a genuine reccommendation ....

also your choice of band and DJ will ensure your wedding is not the same as every other wedding youve been to !!!!! i know what you mean by that !!

best of luck with it all......:)

I'd have to agree with that. Been to a few weddings lately in The Park and they have been amazing, really put in a huge effort for you. Not opne hitch in all the weddings I was at and the Bride and Groom in every case were dleighted with them. Their service during dinner is fantastic, no waiting about, very quick and had it changed for the bands and dancing in super quick time.

But I get what you mean about that something different. Even though the hotel has been done up and looks lovely their location doesn't really blow you away.

I was at a wedding in garryvoe and am going to another again soon and am really looking forward to it. They are excellent also and their views and the whole location is excellent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Found the staff in the Park most unhelpful, to the point of rudeness. What about Ballyrafter house in Lismore?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Amakadamus

deisemum wrote: »
    Would hiring a marquee and getting caterers in be an option? They can supply everything and it can work out cheaper than the hotel option.

I saw a function go on at Tramore race track with tents and marquees which looked very classy. There is more hotels, holiday villages and holiday apartment complexes in tramore than there are pubs if you are looking for accomodation. There is more to occupy yourselves with after (funfairs, pubs, beaches... etc.) and prices for staying in htels have dropped out the bottom since the anti-boom. It's only really packed out on a true heatwave day of a weekend.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

Ask them in the Park for a cake stand, oh ya they don't have one it got nicked, they just offered an upside down basin to a bride I know to stand her cake on it.

Hotel Minella in Clonmel is a lovely place to stay in Clonmel since they've done it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Amakadamus

OH GOD NOT THA BASINNN!!!!

It's pretty bad. Could they not have just used a table or something (or a bit of tin foil)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

Amakadamus wrote: »
    OH GOD NOT THA BASINNN!!!!

It's pretty bad. Could they not have just used a table or something (or a bit of tin foil)

Yah, sure you can stack a 3 Tier cake ontop of each other on a table, it just shows their attention to detail, which I thought was lacking.

Thanks to everyone for responding!
    Believe me - I am not snobbish!! Like everyone else I just wanted the day to be special and one that people will remember!

We went to the Clonea and it was a bit dated also. So, on the way home we said we would call into The Park. It was lovely and we both came away happy with what we saw and heard. We discussed maybe doing a few different things to create the 'different' wedding we originally wanted.
    So we booked it. We were delighted! It didnt last long.

I am already stressed about this wedding. I am thinking of seriously pulling out. We will give it another few weeks but if things didnt improve, I will be asking for my deposit back. I consider myself to be fairly easy going and anyone who knows me will tell you the same.
    If the simple things are wrong then what is this wedding going to be like?
    I dunno, so dissapionted.:confused:

deisebride wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for responding!
    Believe me - I am not snobbish!! Like everyone else I just wanted the day to be special and one that people will remember!

We went to the Clonea and it was a bit dated also. So, on the way home we said we would call into The Park. It was lovely and we both came away happy with what we saw and heard. We discussed maybe doing a few different things to create the 'different' wedding we originally wanted.
    So we booked it. We were delighted! It didnt last long.

I am already stressed about this wedding. I am thinking of seriously pulling out. We will give it another few weeks but if things didnt improve, I will be asking for my deposit back. I consider myself to be fairly easy going and anyone who knows me will tell you the same.
    If the simple things are wrong then what is this wedding going to be like?
    I dunno, so dissapionted.:confused:

That doesn't sound good. I think some places are like wedding reception factories and are not in the mindset to try anything slightly off track. Would you be able to get your deposit back if things don't improve?

Meant to add that I got married over 20 years ago and I'd made a minor request that was ignored and I haven't forgotten it. I feel it took from the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

What about the Faithlegg? They're pricey but open to all sorts of negotiations.

all sorted now hopefully! Thanks to everyone for your advice and help - i really appreciate it:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

+1

Advertisement