Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tin of chick peas

Options
  • 26-04-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

ok folks , i have taken the plunge and have bought a tin of chick peas. i havent eaten them or bought them before ! now my question for you all... what do i do with them ? the tin says they are organic and pre cooked ! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Be better to post food related Qs in Nutrition & Diet forum..

You could make them into hummus! Chuck them into a vegetable curry. Or coat then in oil & roast them, then sprinkle them in salads. That's what Getwellsoon has in her diary. I too bought a tin, it's still in my press :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Hehe, I saw this and though the food diary names are getting really creative :D
    Chickpeas can be nice added to a salad, maybe a couscous or bulghar wheat based salad? Also hummous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I ate my tin (not the whole tin) of chickpeas today with - spring onions, raw chopped carrot, raw chopped pepper, cooked sweetcorn, cooked baby snap peas and salad dressing :D Its nyommy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

They are great as a meat replacement in Indian curries as they keep their shape and texture. I love chickpeas. You can make a spicy mash with them too instead of ordinary mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

What kind of spices would you add to make the spicy mash ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

+1 on the hummus, yum.

I had chickpeas yesterday in homemade indian chicken curry, and today i had the other half in a salad with pasta, sundried tomato pesto, tuna, parmesan, sundried tomatoes and fresh cherry tomatoes, yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

chop some pitta bread into squares and toast it under the grill, cook your tin of chick peas in a pot and strain them off (keep a little of the juice), toast or dry fry some pine nuts...

get a pasta dish or a plate with a decent dip... put your toasted bread down, your chick peas and a small amount of liquid, some natural yoghurt and then your hot pine nuts...

YUM-O

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

When I make spicy chickpea mash I add chilli powder & chilli flakes, paprika, little bit of ground cumin and ground coriander and some crushed garlic not too much as the garlic can be overpowering. If I have fresh chillies I'll chop them up and use instead of the chilli flakes, but then I like it very spicy. You need to add olive oil rather than butter to the mashed chickpeas. Basically you add as much or as little of the spices as you like, depending on your own palate. Its actually really nice with chicken or pork dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Make FALAFEL..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

They're also pretty good fried with oil (and maybe spices) for a few minutes, then mixed with cooked sweetcorn, lemon juice and soy sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

thanks all, think i ll go down the falafal route and also will try them in a curry,
    brilliant tips everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

This is NYOM!

http://eatlikeagirl.com/2008/11/04/butternut-squash-chickpea-and-spinach-curry/

I just use Patak's paste for the curry bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Falafels don't work with tinned chickpeas, they fall apart.
    You really need to make falafels with cooked dried chickpeas.
    This is from bitter experience.
    Try this recipe it worked well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I highly recommend Chana Masala, an Indian chickpea dish- it is really delicious. You'll need a box of Chana Masala spice mix, about €2 in any Indian shop, the MDH brand is very good. You'll also need two red onions and two tomatoes, plus a teaspoon of baking soda. Follow the cooking instructions on the pack, and there is no need to soak the chickpeas overnight.

Serve with paratha breads, which you can buy frozen in the Indian shops for a delicious lunch or as a side dish to a meal.

CJhaughey wrote: »

I have to say I've used tinned and they always work!
    I'm not foresighted enough to soak the night before.

olaola wrote: »
    I have to say I've used tinned and they always work!
    I'm not foresighted enough to soak the night before.
    Tell me the secret! I could never get them to work with tinned ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Chana Masala.

The nicest thing you can make with Chick Peas.

Chana Masala Recipe

Tell me the secret! I could never get them to work with tinned ones.

Blitz in a blender. ESP the onion, it gets very liquidy when blended which helps.

olaola wrote: »
    Blitz in a blender. ESP the onion, it gets very liquidy when blended which helps.
    Deep or shallow fry?

• Advertisement

Deep or shallow fry?

I don't have a deep fryer, so I just shallow fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here's the recipe I use for falafel from tinned chickpeas. Quick, healthy, cheap and very tasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I like tinned chickpeas to be drained and then just sprinkled with salt and lemon juice. Eat cold. Great as a filling, satisfying side to something else super easy, like a cooked piece of chicken and a couple of leaves of salad or somesuch.

*rolling up sleeves* I am going to make some right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

mmm getting hungry meself

* goes off to add tinned chickpeas added to the shopping list

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jimmay wrote: »
    mmm getting hungry meself

* goes off to add tinned chickpeas added to the shopping list

My point exactly :D

Always have some tins in stock and you can make your falafels at a moments notice any time of day or night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I use tinned chickpeas, and this recipe, on a weekly basis :confused:

EDIT: never mind, just read above!

I use tinned chickpeas, and this recipe, on a weekly basis :confused:

EDIT: never mind, just read above!
    I wonder if it is because they are shallow fried? I usually try and deep fry them and they just dissolved into tiny pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

@joewicklow

Hi can you put up the link again for the chana recipe, that link doesn't appear to be bringing up the recipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Hi can you put up the link again for the chana recipe, that link doesn't appear to be bringing up the recipe

Try the simple recipe (post 15). I've made Chana Masala loads of times and it works out better with the spice mix rather than making it from scratch. Plus - it shouldn't really have potatoes in it.

Add potatoes. Do post 15, with pharata breads, and also make bombay potatoes for a veritable indian feast.

OP- after you try the falafel, splash out on another tin of chickpeas, good recession food.

Advertisement